What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jiffy seed trays

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Has anybody ever tried those 72 cell peat pellet seed trays with lid? Would they work for gemmae or seeds?

I have used some of the smaller jiffy seed trays some had 12 an the other 24 or so. They worked great as the seedlings get stronger i normally cut the out side shell of the pellet open and the bottem then plant the whole thing into a 4" square pot.

Andre

Yah, jiffy pellots ROCK! I have seedlings almost a year old and I still grow them floating in a pellot in the middle of water cause they like it so much. Once they get big enough I plant the whole thing into a pot of soil.
smile.gif

Yeah, that's the idea! they sell different variations: with or without the pellets, peat covered cells. I'd like to geta tray of 72 cells and fill the cells ith my own recipe for media - a mixture of sand, peat, and LFS- for example. With gemmae or seeds they can do very well for awhile before they need transplanting.

i've used this , the smaller version thought that can fit about 24 pellets . wasn't very good but my flytrap seeds did germinate so that was good . the only problem i've had with it is when it rains the seedling and soil get all over the place , lot of algae growth on the pellets and a weird type of shiny golden colored liquid on the water .

I think I'll buy the trays, without the pellets and just put my own mixture in the cells. they should do well as an indoor project. The 72 cell tray looks like it can fit into a 15 or 20 gallon high tank, whereas the 36 cell tray would fit onto a window sill. Should be great for pygmy sundews.

I think I`ll try them,Darcie are you just talkin`bout the compressed pellets you get at walmart for use with veggies?
Thanks,
Noah.:)

Back