What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zachary Update

I am at work so this is the quick version. We had tests scheduled for Feb. 6th for neurological problems. The doctor moved the date up to Jan. 30, but we did not make it that far.

Yesterday, Zachary had a 'cardiac episode' at school. He was with his PT when they noticed the full body muscle tremors. When checked he had a heart rate of 192 and blood pressure of 145 over 85. Not good! I got him to the doctors office, doctor wanted him there. It was great luck. The doctor I had wanted him to see, but the nurse had refused Zach due to the docotr having too many patients, was the one who wanted to see Zach due to the emergency situation. He looked at Zach and promptly took him as a patient. He said Zach is very ill. Within a half an hour he knew what Zach was(mostly) suffering with. It is called Grave's Disease. Zach is fairly far along. It is serious, but TREATABLE, not curable. Zach's heart appears to have suffered no permenant damage. I'll get back with more later.

I'm sorry to hear that Rose,I dont like to see children suffer with an illness.I'm glad my two kids are ok,but you never know when something like this will happen.We will keep you and Zack in our prayers.

Jerry

Sorry to hear that! i hope he gets better.

Sorry to hear that Zachary has had more problems Rose. It is good to know that it is treatable even though it's not curable. We'll continue to keep you, Zachary, and the rest of your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Steve

I hope they have it right this time. I'm glad they can treat it, even if they can't cure it. My prayers are with you and your son too.

SF

Thank you for your prays.  Actually, I thank God that such a bad attack came when this doctor was available.  It may be a frightenening disease, but we now know what we are facing.  I guess what is most difficult is that he is so young.  He needs to be very good about his medications.  The doctor says that this could be the cause ,up to 99%, of Zach's new problems.  The neurological test still need to be done, but they need to be put off for awhile.  They want to get Zach's heart rate and bloodpressure in an exceptable range before putting him through any further trauma.

The good news is that he as been on the heart and thyroid medications for a day and he is already starting to feel a little better.  He will only be on the heart meds for a month.  It will keep any 'cardiac episodes' from occurring while they get the thyroid meds right.

William, the gemmae arrived today.  Good timing.  I needed a break.  Thank you.

Hi Copper,
I'm saddened by the diagnosis, but I'm glad you finally have one! Now that you know, Zach can be treated properly. Check out http://www.ngdf.org if you haven't already. Best wishes.

Copper, this just may be great news in that you have ANSWERS. It's so frightening to NOT know what's going on. We're all keeping you and Zach in our thoughts!

Capslock

I'm glad you finally found out what he has. Now he can be treated. I'll keep praying for you and Zach.

-buckeye

I'll be praying for you and Zach, Rose. My wife had a different amlady, with similar symptoms. She had SVT. Her heartrate would skyri=ocket to over 200 and we'd have to call an ambulance several time over a few year period. however, the cardiologists couldn't catch the episode "in the act." Eventually, they did and determined which heart problem she had. She had surgery to have the electrical connection in her heart's pacemaker "burned out." It was scary!

My parents Stockbroker, Michelle has Graves also. It is a very nasty disease and is very scary. I pray for the best for Zach. I wish him the very best in treatments.

Jimscott, that sounds similar to my (past) heater problem WPWS Wolfe Parkinsons White Syndrome. My heartbeat went well over 200 I think the highest was 250 where I totally collasped. I had an oblation and now thank god and the great doctors of today specifically Mr. Kiwimba Boehenini I am alive today. it was kinda nice to chat with doc and his native lands of South Africa.
smile.gif

It is scary, but a little less now. I am looking forward to seeing his vitality return. I understand that there will be 'good days' and 'bad days', but there have been very few good days for awhile. I think it is up from here. Yesterday Zach was in a state of thyrotoxicosis. This state is very dangerous and potentially fatal, but with proper medications and care we should not see it again. I hope not, anyway. There are a lot of people living with this. Actually I have two aunts and a sister with thyroid trouble. It is far more common with females between 20-40 than a little boy, but I am afraid it runs in the line.

He still needs to have the other tests to make sure there is nothing besides the Grave's and Asthma, but the more I research the Grave's the more it fits. We will make it fine. He has my 'never say die or I give up' attitude.

Sorry to hear that. I hope he gets better.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.He sounds like a tough little guy.
Mark W.

Good luck, Copper & Zachary!  It is so good you finally have a handle on this.
You know we're pulling for you!  
biggrin.gif

Hi Rose

I'm sorry to hear Zachary had such a scary episode but that's really great news you got a diagnosis! That's big step. Now you know what you're dealing with and can get proper treatment which will make a huge difference.

Best wishes to you both...I hope he improves quickly.
smile.gif

Suzanne

My heart goes out to you both Rose. Maybe now things will even out. It's hard to understand why these things happen, but every thread of the weave of life has a purpose and a meaning although sometimes it's so hard! I keep you and Zach in my thoughts. Much love to you both!

(Glad the gemmae made it through this bitter winter to you ;-)

God speed His strength to you and little Zach. And give thanks for revelations and His grace.
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about his illness.
but thats great he received a diagnosis before serious damage was done.i can relate, I'm 23 and i have constant hear pain, chest,kidney aching pains. i don't have medical insurance so i cant get a proper diagnosis i have been to the ER room several times in recent months an years, they do an EKG an chest x ray and send me home,i cant afford the further testing , i have a past history of nonspecific pericarditis (pericarditis caused by an unknown problem)
it's often times very scary to be ill but the worst thing is not to have a diagnosis many people hide from the fact there ill in fear of what is wrong with them. but a diagnosis is GREAT and with out it damage goes unfixed and thats horrible. wonderful he was diagnosed an being treated. my best wishes an prayers to him
-steve

Back