What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Linux

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Do any of you have Knopics2, a version of Linux. Do you like it? My brother has given me knopics one, and I would like to eventually upgrade or get Mandrake.

Yep. I have tried various versions of Knoppix, Redhat, Mandrake, Fedora Core 1, Mandrake Move, etc. I also have LindowsOS downloaded, may try that in a few days.

Do I like it? Haha, I could rant for hours. To be polite, no.

First, by the nature of their design, Knoppix, Mandrake Move, and other live CDs (entire operating system runs off the CD) are going to be slow. They have to load the entire operating system off of a CD, which takes much longer to read from than a hard drive. And then it has to also decompress everything it has read. It took longer than five minutes for Knoppix to start on my pretty fast desktop computer. I do understand the point of live CDs is for testing, but it seems to be make a poor impression by being so slow and unwieldy.

There are many things I find interesting about Linux, unique technologies mostly. But I find the overall experience quite... unsettling. I'm a computer science student, so I spend a lot of time programming, studying algorithms, reading code. When I use my computer for leisure, I expect everything to work, without any twiddling or hassles. In my humble experience, things very rarely work out that way with any version of the various Linux distributions (hardcore Linux fans will get upset if you refer to the entire operating system as Linux). Simple things like installing Flash for your browser can quickly become a nightmare, unfortunately. Check out this article about one person's attempt at installing Fedora: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5111 .

I also have a lot of thoughts about centralized repositories of software for installation, and the elitist attitude that sometimes prevails within the Linux community... but for everyone else's sake, I'll stop ranting (sorry!).

Anyway, I'm not trying to discourage you. If you find a distribution you are happy with (and there are many to choose from), you may save quite a bit of money compared to purchasing Windows, or a Macintosh.

I used IRIX when I worked at sgi. It was like a confusion mish-mash of Apple OS 9 and Windows 98 (this was back in 2000). It worked great, but I can say I enjoyed it one bit. I mostly had to stay in the command window anyhow. Anyone else hate VI!?!?

I hate vi, too. But not as much as emacs. ;-)

I say...get a Mac!
biggrin.gif
Far superior to anything out there. hehehe

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
to all you PC users.
laugh.gif

Linux runs on Macs, too Ms Mac advocate. :p

If one already has a Mac, why would you want to use something different than the Mac OS? HUH? I said HUH??
tounge.gif

Well I agree it would be a mistake, but I'm not a fan of Linux, so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask.
tounge.gif

And besides, you are certainly offtopic from the original discussion of Knoppix, Miss Plantakiss. You're headed straight for a warning, if you know what I mean. And I just happen to have some spare ones..
wink.gif

Keep in mind that Mac OS X core is an open source UNIX-based foundation built on technologies such as FreeBSD, Mach, Apache, and GCC. Darwin provides a complete UNIX environment, with X11 and POSIX services comparable to Linux or FreeBSD, including familiar kernel, libraries, networking and command-line utilities.

Hey Nick,

I am aware that Linux and Mac OSX has quite a bit in common with both having been influenced by Unixes and POSIX compliance, I am just giving Suzanne a hard time. And, I don't think Wesley will be able to install Mac OSX on the system he was planning on testing Knoppix on.
smile.gif

Back