Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs... One scared me to death, and a new friend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

wow, that must have been #### and a half. poor little thing! dont blame yourself for panicing, because i am sure anyone of us would have done the same, it natural. well i am glad that Apple is ok, she is such a cutie!!! she is infact soo cute that it has caused me to consider wanting a doggie of my own. congrats on the new puppy as well [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    douglas

hmm walking her at 10 pm hhuh...perhaps to avoid being seen holding a PINK leash?? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]
    In bleak description the waves come crashing; battering the very instinct of every lusting moment to fulfill this gaping desire. A mouth as dry as soot and how it once had tasted of life, fit within a momentís time; And how those fleeting days laid in the light of blissful suffering. -me

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all biting is a natural reaction for any dog under those conditons. Getting rid of the dog is not the thing to do and I'm sure it's not even an option for Nick.
    My wife's dog (the bat dog) has seizures. She has to take drugs to control them.I think she's 9 yrs old now so they can live a long life even with seizures.

Hey maybe that pink leash had something to do with it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have made it more clear as to how I was bitten. She was curled up in a ball, barking and screaming and had no control over her movements. I was bitten when I reached down to see if her harness or collar was causing this to happen. Because she was in a constant and steady painful barking mode, her mouth was snapping open and closed rapidly. From what I have read and from what I have been told by our vets, it is not uncommon for a dog to bite during a seizure. It was my mistake to put my hand near her face and mouth. If I had just waited, she would have come out of the seizure and I would not have been bitten.

Whoever witnesses a seizure should also be aware of their own safety as it is not unusual for dogs to bite while seizing. Do not attempt to put anything in the dog's mouth during a seizure.

Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy and Death66,

You should know that I have saved the pink leash and collar for her spring wardrobe. I feel it is much too early and cold to be wearing spring clothes!

Casper,

Apple has yet to attack any living thing (human, chicken or otherwise) in an aggressive or mean way. She is a sweet and loving girl. I can't wait for her and Anni to get to play together. Next Sat will be the day! Anni should be all healed and ready to rumble!

Everyone else,

Thanks for your care and concern! Hope the "episode" never reoccurs.
    If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning. unknown

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Sunrenay @ Feb. 07 2004,10:44)]Casper,

Apple has yet to attack any living thing (human, chicken or otherwise) in an aggressive or mean way. She is a sweet and loving girl.
    I can agree with that. I've meet Apple two or three times and she is a very happy,friendly dog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize, I assumed the dog was just scared and got aggresive. If it was just a reaction to the siezure and she didn't know she was biting anyone, or in this case, wasn't really biting, just moving her mouth, then it is totally different.

I guess I have a unique experiance with aggressive dogs. Bear in mind, I love dogs, but one day I was working in my yard and a neighbors dog, black lab well over 100 pounds, was being walked by an 8 year old. There where some kids playing in front of my house in the street and as the boy and dog passed the dog attacked a 9 year old. I ran to my truck and grabbed my gun and ran into the street. I grabbed the dog by the collar and pulled him off the boy. The dog then turned on me. I retreited to my yard slowly and he lunged at me. I shot him dead. It was a very tough thing for me to do, the boy had to watch me shoot his dog. I feel I had no other choice, I couldn't run to any sort of safety fast enough, and even if I did, what if the dog goes after the boy still laying and bleeding in the street? The worst part about it is, the dog had already shown aggression to others before. He bit another person in the neighborhood about 6 months earlier.

The whole ordeal could have been prevented. First of all, that boy had no buisness walking a dog he could not control. Second, the parents should have gotten rid of the dog after he showed to be violent. They said "They didn't want to hurt there son" but it would have been far less tragic then him having to see his dog shot in front of him.

Casper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casper,
    What a horrible experience! But you're right, they had no business keeping a dog that inappropriately bites people, and they certainly had no business letting an 8 year old walk it. There's no way a kid that age can be responsible for ANY dog, much less one over 100 lbs. It's a shame how irresponsilbe dog owners ruin things for those of us who are responsible. In any case, I'm sure that your experience will stay with you for a long time. But I think you did the right thing. A dog like that can kill a kid in short order.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad that it is turning out that your dog is okay, I can imagine how horribly scary a seizure like that must have been.

Our dog, a Doberman Pinscher that my girlfriend has had for many years, is going to the vet tommorrow to get what looked (even just two weeks ago) like a regular mole removed... In that short of time it has doubled in size, cracked open, and started bleeding. We are hoping it isn't cancer, but it most likely is.

It is a real shame that some dog owners don't control their dogs better, and that situations like what happened to Casper, and that little boy, are allowed to happen. I have had a few situations with aggressive dogs myself, though none nearly that serious, thankfully. I was attacked once by a german shepherd, which broke the rope tying it up, while the owner stood by yelling that it is friendly and wouldn't bite. Luckily, when it tried to bite me, it caught my shirt only, and my clothes were the only thing it managed to chew on. My girlfriend has also had experiences with aggressive dogs a few times. It's a real shame how often those kind of things happen.
    I'm always worried our Doberman will attack another dog. Our neighbors have a boston terrier they let run free, that occasionally comes into our yard. I don't get why anyone would want a dog to be able to run free, especially here, in the middle of a city, near some extremely busy streets, it is begging for trouble.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast