Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Timer

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an electrician and I can assist anybody who wants to attempt to use a setup like this or any other setup.
    I have been wanting to buy or make a reverse photo cell for a few years. Instead of a timer you would just use the photo cell that would turn your lights on when it senses sunlight and turn them off when the sun goes down. The only way I can think to achieve this is to wire a normal photo cell to a normally closed contactor.
    I'm sure a normally closed photo cell would be possiable to build. Does anybody know how to change a nomal photo cell to work in reverse?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 06 2004,10:45)]I'm sure a normally closed photo cell would be possiable to build. Does anybody know how to change a nomal photo cell to work in reverse?
    Very easy actually. Go to RadioShack and get a 120v coil relay. Wire the coil to the 120v output of the photo cell. The relay has normally closed, and normally open contacts. For items you want on during the day, use the normally closed contacts, as they will be used when the coil is not energized. For items you want on during the night, use the normally open contacts as the coil will be energized.

I built something similar to this for some PC equipment to allow my UPS to control devices that were not on the battery.

Let me know if you need help, or if you need me to draw you a wiring diagram. My background is in electronics, and I know electrical fairly well also.

Jeremy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] The only way I can think to achieve this is to wire a normal photo cell to a normally closed contactor.
    Yeah I know it can be done with a contactor, but I would like to find a way that it can be done with the photo cell itself, with out having to use a contactor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 06 2004,12:45)]Yeah I know it can be done with a contactor, but I would like to find a way that it can be done with the photo cell itself, with out having to use a contactor.
    By contactor do you mean relay? Are they the same thing? If so, I appologize for mis-understanding your remark.

Jeremy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I went to Home Depot & found everything needed to build a timer set-up, including the digital timer. It went together pretty easy. If someone would tell me how to post pictures, I can't figure out the picture posting, I will post one of the timer set-up.
    Rick [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/unclesam.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No jokes about the day glow orange face plate, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12