What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Timer

I read about a digital timer on the Naturalistic Vivarium group that self-adjusts the daily On/Off times to account for the changing sunrise and sunset times throughout the year. Looks like it would be very helpful to simulate the seasons for indoor growers.
http://www.intermatic.com/?action=prod&pid=196
Rick
unclesam.gif

Cool timer,but I could'nt use it, my lights are on a non switchable receptical,so I would have to move my whole setup
sad.gif

Jerry

Jerry, what do you mean by "non switchable receptical"? I have my lights plugged into a timer thet turns them off and on at preset times. Are you saying you can't use something like this?

smile.gif

BCK

Steve,
It looks like that unit is designed to replace a wall switch. It actually hardwires into the wall like a standard switch. I believe what Jerry means is that the outlet hes using is not controlled by a wall switch. Pretty cool unit and a great idea actually.. Id like something like that myself but none of my outlets are switch controlled either.

Cheers
Steve

I see. Thanks Steve
smile.gif

smile.gif

BCK

That's what I was trying to say,it's a good timer,but unless you have a room set up with all outlet controled by a switch,it wont work.I have my plants in my living room,and only one outlet is controled by a switch,So you would have to have some custom wiring to make it work,or move all the plants/shelves...To much trouble for my setup.I do have a plug in timer that I use.

Jerry

I think you could do a pretty easy DIY project using the Digital In-Wall Timer.
You could pickup eveything needed at Home Depot or Lowes.
1 quad outlet box, like an electrician would install in the wall,
1 convenience outlet, preferably a GFI outlet,
1 grounded cord,
1 decora quad outlet cover
They might even have the timers at Home Depot or Lowes.
You just run the grounded cord into the box, attach it to the timer, wire the timer to the outlet, screw the timer & outlet into the box, install the cover and presto, you have an great digital timer that can be moved anywhere it’s needed.
Rick

Good idea! I did'nt think about that!I was just thinking about installing it in a wall.

Jerry

I'm an electrician and I can assist anybody who wants to attempt to use a setup like this or any other setup.
I have been wanting to buy or make a reverse photo cell for a few years. Instead of a timer you would just use the photo cell that would turn your lights on when it senses sunlight and turn them off when the sun goes down. The only way I can think to achieve this is to wire a normal photo cell to a normally closed contactor.
I'm sure a normally closed photo cell would be possiable to build. Does anybody know how to change a nomal photo cell to work in reverse?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 06 2004,10:45)]I'm sure a normally closed photo cell would be possiable to build. Does anybody know how to change a nomal photo cell to work in reverse?
Very easy actually.  Go to RadioShack and get a 120v coil relay.  Wire the coil to the 120v output of the photo cell.  The relay has normally closed, and normally open contacts.  For items you want on during the day, use the normally closed contacts, as they will be used when the coil is not energized.  For items you want on during the night, use the normally open contacts as the coil will be energized.

I built something similar to this for some PC equipment to allow my UPS to control devices that were not on the battery.

Let me know if you need help, or if you need me to draw you a wiring diagram.  My background is in electronics, and I know electrical fairly well also.

Jeremy

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] The only way I can think to achieve this is to wire a normal photo cell to a normally closed contactor.
Yeah I know it can be done with a contactor, but I would like to find a way that it can be done with the photo cell itself, with out having to use a contactor.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 06 2004,12:45)]Yeah I know it can be done with a contactor, but I would like to find a way that it can be done with the photo cell itself, with out having to use a contactor.
By contactor do you mean relay? Are they the same thing? If so, I appologize for mis-understanding your remark.

Jeremy

Well I went to Home Depot & found everything needed to build a timer set-up, including the digital timer. It went together pretty easy. If someone would tell me how to post pictures, I can't figure out the picture posting, I will post one of the timer set-up.
Rick
unclesam.gif

timer_jpg.sized.jpg

No jokes about the day glow orange face plate, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Rick

Back