Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, new guy, lots of questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hi there.

I am interested in carnivorous plants. I donít exactly own one yet. Can I still post if I dont own one but am planning to get one?
    Im going to buy a cape sundew because i know there a good beginners plant, and will get one as soon as the weather permits. I have some house plants, but they dont grow too well because i overwater them! I know carnivorous plants will live in permanently moist soil. I know they need purified low sodium water. I have a mini- terrarium as well as a unused large one.
    But i have some questions. Will a cape sundew (D capensis) grow in a 1ft by 1ft square terrarium, and will it be large enough? The closest petstore is a hour away, and I donít know if they have insects that i will be able to feed it during bug-less times (tough they keep lizards, so they probably do have something.
    If not i might be able to get maggots at the local bait store [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] (eww)
    Is D. slackii Good for beginners too? What plants would you recommend?

You may be wondering why my screen name is Finch. Thats because i love birds, and own a bustling colony of zebra finches that would double its population size in 6 months if i didnt remove the eggs [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Finch, welcome to the forums! Feel free to post all the questions you want even if you never get a CP!

There are a lot of factors that will determine what plants are right for you. First, where do you live? Many CPs do much better as outdoor plants. In addition, some require winter dormancy where they should be kept in cold temperatures.
    Also, what sort of light do you have available? Most CPs require a LOT of light, so at minimum for indoors you'll need a windowsill that gets a lot of direct sunlight.

The cape sundew is a great beginner choice. It will grow fine in a 1foot by 1foot space, and is quite tolerant of less-than-perfect conditions. D. slackii is not a difficult plant, but I'd wait to see if you succeed witht the cape sundew. You might also want to try the D. spatulata or D. aliciae for small, rosetted sundews. Don't worry about buying bugs, your 'dews should catch plenty on their own, and they don't need much.

By the way, if you have a sunny spot outdoors, you gotta get a venus fly trap!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

I live in South Dakota. You know northern plains,, hot summers ( dry the past few years) with no humidity in the air and bitterly cold, -20 winters with very little snow (this year). I have an office lamp that i can outfit with a growlight bulb. If it wont work, i can buy a new lamp just for the plant.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch, what about sunlight? Do you have a window that can provide some? One office lamp bulb is going to be probably not quite enough on its own. Incidentally, for that lamp, buy a compact fluorescent bulb, preferably in "daylight" or "cool white" colors. Go for as high a wattage as you can find. I'm currently growing a D. capensis in a window without much sunlight, but an office lamp like this, and the plant is doing fine.

Other cheap lighting options are 2-foot and 4-foot fluorescent tubes in cheap shop-light fixutres. You can get them at Home Depot for cheap.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Finch.. welcome to the forums [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

As Capslock has already said there are mant determining factors which need to be considered before buying a carnivorous plant. The cape sundew (Drosera capensis) is a very easy plant to grow and is quite adaptable to many conditions. Bear in mind that while it will thrive outdoors in summer, it will not fare so well come winter in your climate. Sunny windowsills are good for those plants. If you have your heart set on dews (who can blame ya [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ) then Drosera adelae is another great windowsill plant. I also have to agree with Capslock that every collection must include at least 1 Venus Fly Trap. Hey guess what... ********** (the company that provides us this awesome forum) just happens to sell all the plants that are perfect for beginners. Click on the "**********.com" tab at the top of this page to see what they have available. All the plants that they sell are in tip top condition and include a very good basic care sheet which is geared specificaly towards beginners. Should be perfect for you. and anything not covered by the care sheet we will be happy to answer here on the forum.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.

The only problem i see with the Drosera adelae is that the website says it requires high humidity (like most carnivorous plants). Its pretty dry out here year round so it'd have to be in a terrarium. Humm. I'v done alot of research on this and have been practicing watering techniques with my spider plant in the terrarium. Surprisingly, is growing faster, but i cant really tell if the humidity is higher in there.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a starter I suggest you read the Frequently Asked Questions section at
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html
    There is a wealth of information there.
    Good luck, but be very careful -- growing carnivorous plants can be very addictive. I got hooked in 1955 with some Venus Flytraps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Bob, a link from that site brought me here![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Ok one last question! The tiny terrarium gets narrower twards the top, and the plant (most likely a sundew) may have leaves against the side of the terrarium. Will this be a problem?
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast