Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a 24 gallon "high" tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends what you want to grow as well.

For instance if you had some more mature Nepenthes that were 12" to the top of the plant then 2-2tube fixtures would be sufficient since they would only be 8" or so from the plants. If your going to grow short rosette sundews in small pots then the light would probably be too far away unless the tank was turned on it's side. Adding additional normal output fluorescent bulbs does not totally make up for distance. The light intensity drops off rapidly with increasing distance. To properly light plants from a longer distance you really need a more intense light. Like metal halide, sodium, compact fluorescent, highoutput type fluorescent.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to note is that if you cover the sides and back of your tank in reflective material (mylar, aluminum foil, mirrors) you can get away with less light. I have a 22 high that i grow my orchids in and i have no problem with light at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trashcan, I use a piece of mylar taped to the front of the tank. Not great, but it works, you just need to be careful of where the tape goes. Anyone put mylar or reflective material on the bottom of the tanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]To properly light plants from a longer distance you really need a more intense light. Like metal halide, sodium, compact fluorescent, highoutput type fluorescent.
    Err how evpensive would a steup like that cost?
    that makes no logic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12