What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Lights

I have seen the northern lights while in Talkeetna but nothing like this.  Those photos are soooo awesome. Miller is one very good photographer.
Thanks for sharing Tamlin.
smile.gif

Too cool!

Dave - we do get some displays here in Upstate NY on rare occasions. The best one I saw was in early fall - it was like looking at an inverted bowl with a hole at the top. The glow filled the whole sky. They are probably up there more in the winter, but here we rarely have clear skies in winter so I probably miss them. Nothing like this have I ever seen though! From where I am, there is just the most faint radience, only once have I seen color and that was when I was a pre-schooler. It gives me a chill when I think of the photographer standing outside seeing that, and then the wolves started howling.........talk about eerie!

Very cool. I've only seen the northern lights once in my life. It was in late fall a couple years ago at about 10:30 pm. But they weren't near as cool as the ones on that site.

-buckeye

AWESOME!! I want to go to Alaska so bad. My grandmother lived there for a huge part of her life, and she tells me about when she saw the Northern Lights. She said when you're watching it, you can hear, like, bizarre eletrical sounds. Weird.. I wanna see it in person so bad.. the Northern Lights fascinate me.. really though, anything having to do with bizarre and unusual space-related phenomena fascinate me past words. I wish we got this stuff down here in rural Central Florida.. but then again, if I saw it here, that would be exceptionally *bad*, because that would mean that a huge solar flare storm from the sun has completely destroyed our ozone layer, and we will die from radiation
biggrin.gif

I still think that's our doom!!!

FTG.

If you are spaced out (lol) like I am, check out some of the Hubble star cluster shots. We live in a boring section of space!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Feb. 13 2004,00:00)]Nothing like this have I ever seen though!  From where I am, there is just the most faint radience, only once have I seen color and that was when I was a pre-schooler.  It gives me a chill when I think of the photographer standing outside seeing that, and then the wolves started howling.........talk about eerie!
I think the camera adds a little more than the human eye can see but it is definitely an awesome display.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Feb. 13 2004,05:56)]FTG.

If you are spaced out (lol) like I am, check out some of the Hubble star cluster shots.  We live in a boring section of space!
Oooooooooooo...

Beautiful! We used to look for them when our fellowship group went on retreats at Twin Valleys in Lewis county.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I want to go to Alaska so bad.

I completely agree with you FTG! I've always wanted to go see Alaska. I think it's a really cool place!!!
smile.gif

-buckeye

I saw the arora borealis a few months ago here in shouthern mo.

FTG said:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]anything having to do with bizarre and unusual space-related phenomena fascinate me past words

Ahhhh, that explains the Kenny Chesney obsession
tounge.gif

That's a joke!

Cheers, Troy.

Well it better be.
cool.gif

I saw the northern lights in northern Michigan this summer. Amazing. We were just sitting around the campfire, a drinkin' and a smokin', and darned if the sky to the north didn't just light up and start doing crazy things. Being a Californian, I'd never seen it before, nor had the folks I was with. It took us a while to figure out what we were looking at! Amazing!

Capslock

Back