What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hydroculture

Did somebody try to cultivate the carnivorous plants in hydroculture?

I don't think CPs will work in hydroculture since the roots are supplied with nutrients in these set ups. CP roots will burn if they get too many minerals and nutrients on them. You can grow cps in straight long fiber sphagnum (LFS) though, and that is nearly hydroponic. The only difference being the lack of nutrients and the medium (LFS) isn't inert like rock wool or perlite, which are used for true hydroponics.

-buckeye

Carnivorus plants could be grown in hydroculture. Just leave out the nutrients or reduce them to extremely low concentrations.

I second Nicks statement

Hi Shrek,

welcome to the forum, btw! You can do a search on the CP ListServ archives on ICPS website, with hydroponic and such words.

I tried it few weeks ago (the search, not the technique) and if i remember well, Utricularia and Drosera went well in such setup, but not Nepenthes... Make a search, it will be more reliable than my memory
tounge.gif

Thanks for your answers.
I will search.

Back