Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting a venus fly trap and i need to know what it eats and what inviroment it should live in. Can it eat lady Bugs?

Thanks,
    nolimits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey , welcome to the forums . First , heres a really helpful site to go to : www.sarracenia.com , go to the FAQ . Then go the the vft forum here and go to the vft care sheet posted on top , that should really help you and yes they can eat lady bugs [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Good Luck ,
    Goldtrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont feed them hambergers. [wrong]Give them low sodium purified water[/wrong] (oops i was wrong, that does happen sometimes) and high humidity, high light, and keep them permenantly wet. Respect their dormancy requierments

There is great site you should visit, hares a hotlink to www.sarracenia.com/faq.htmlHere for you to get detailed information.

[I'm] Assuming this your first Carnivorous Plant i suggest a easier plant than
    the venus fly trap, Like D. Capensis ,one more forgiving for begginers, like me!

Its a interesing question, ladybugs. Not much will eat them because they are toxic, smell bad, fake death, and secrete that nasty yellow stuff. I have no idea why some carnivorous plants will eat them, as almost nothing else will.
    that makes no logic

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first CP was a Venus Flytrap. If you use pure water (distilled, rain, or Reverse Osmosis (RO) water) and plant them in pure sphagnum peat moss, they are no more difficult than any other CP in my experience. Yes, VFTs can eat ladybugs, but since lady bugs eat aphids, I prefer to let them live. If you grow your VFT outside, they will catch plenty of bugs on ther own. Definitely check out the care sheets and site given by Finch and goldtrap2690. They will give you a lot of helpful information about VFTs. You can also use the search feature on the boards to find answers to specific questions.

Welcome to the Forums!!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK

Oh yeah, don't sweat the dormancy. Come fall there will be a gazillion posts with dormancy questions as well as a pinned faq sheet or two answering the questions.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 19 2004,18:58)]Give them low sodium purified water
    Do NOT give VFTs water with sodium of any kind. ONLY water with distilled, rain, or water from a reverse osmosis filter. Give them lots of full sunlight and stand them in a tray of water about 1/2 inch deep and they pretty much take care of themselves. If you buy your VFT from ********** they will include a very good basic care sheet with your plant.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]
    Do NOT give VFTs water with sodium of any kind. ONLY water with distilled, rain, or water from a reverse osmosis filter
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] Oops i was wrong. i had read somewhere that they needed low sodium. Sorry

But all of you are lucky compared to me, 'cause you can get a VFT. my father says i cannot get a plant that requiers a cold winter dormancy, because he wont let me use the refrigerator. Its too dry in the house, and the heating vents are right in front of the windows, removing any remaining mosture in the air [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello welcome to the forums

I would really discourage feeding a venues Flytrap lady bugs. A few years ago I bought one of the bags of about 500 lady bugs to eat a small aphid problem I had with in day or two ever single one had been caught but a flytrap sometimes as many as 3 or 4 were in one trap. Almost 95% of the traps turned black and died with in a week. Most of the Plants survived but it took a while before they looked there best again.

thanks
    -Jeremiah-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]they can eat lady bugs
    Quote[/b] ] Almost 95% of the traps turned black and died with in a week
    These are contradictory answers. I have nooooooo experence in CP so please Always take my advice with grains of salt. And if you do that, [lame joke]watch your sodium intake too.[/lame joke]
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast