What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm sad...

• Thread starter cchang
  • Start date
Last night, I was in process of the weekly cage change for my guinea pig and siberian hamster when my wife and I noticed that the hamster's paws and mouth were all red with blood. It looks to me that her teeth are overgrown as her eating habits have changed also.

Anybody ever encounter such a problem and know what to do in this case?

sad.gif

Try taking your pet to the vet to get the teeth filed. Rodents have teeth that continue to grow and have to be kept in check by gnawing on chew blocks, etc. If the teeth are allowed to grow your pet will get very sick and not be able to eat properly. I think at this point a vet visit may be the only way to intervene and correct the problem. Good luck

I worked at a pet shop an that is uncommon what type of food are you feeding him and the above post is right you either have to clip his teeth or if you don't know how or aren't comfortable doing it have a vet do it that can an likely will be fetal if let untreated it will become infected an the hamster will either die from the infection or starvation if you cant afford to take the hamster to the vet i would say cut them your self over not cutting it at all, there teeth grow back so cutting it isn't damaging to him he from the sounds of it needs one. generally the the incisors grow so close together its hard to cut one at a time and cutting both is necessary some people use dog nail clippers but i would suggest have a vet do it if you can afford it.

You may have hit on the problem since the hamster is a "her". Female Hamsters are known to eat their young when feeling threatened. Any chance that the female was pregnant and might have given birth? Sorry if this is true...

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg, Mass

Last night, we examined her and there was no bleeding after mealtime. One of our friends (who's studying to become a vet) mentioned that she might have cut her mouth on a sunflower seed shell.

We feed her Kaytee Forti-Diet because it has a broad range of selection, but we're probably going to change that as she's become very picky.

She is the only hamster we keep so unless she can spawn pygmies like sundews and some pings...?
biggrin.gif
She's also a biter when she's annoyed so I don't think trimming her teeth myself would be a good thing...

Back