Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Grounds

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A co-worker of mine who has been watching me mother hen my CP's for the past six months wanted me to try an experiment. He wanted me to use coffee grounds as my soil media. I said - no thanks - but I would post the idea of utilizing coffee grounds. So, what do you all think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a stupid question but will you be using the coffee grounds as the soil after you make coffee.lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a tough question, Jim. On the one hand, coffee grounds are somewhat acidic. On the other, I have seen mold grow on wet coffee grounds. If I was to use it, I would try it on a plant that I had extras of or could propagate easily, like D. capensis.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put old coffee grounds into our vermicomposting bin. The finished compost is just great for non-CPs, and I harvest some of the worms on occasion to feed the frog and newt in the CP terrarium - or chop one up for the hungry plants.

Personally, I don't think any CPs would grow too well in straight coffee grounds. If you try an experiment, let us know how it goes so we can say, "Oh yeah, jimscott tried that back in 2004 and....."

WildBill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have an overwhelming desire to try the experiment, as my growlist is kinda small. I just couldn't bear to sacrifice any of my scorpiodes or spatulata - even though they would be my most likely candidates. What I could do, since I work at a lab, is test grounds for metals. particularly salts. That would pretty much give us the answer we need.

That's NOT astupid question!! It's a valid one. There would be a difference between straight up coffee grounds and water-leached grounds. I know because I can pretty much make a mug of coffee from the leftover grounds from my wife's Gevalia coffee. She's an espresso person. I'm a latte person. It takes me longer to doctor the coffee up than to drink it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a good answer - try in on a non-cp first! Perhaps a houseplant. Or, make a potful of the coffee soil w/out a plant - see if it starts to mold.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just prepped two coffee grounds samples. One that has and one that hasn't been brewed. Thay will be analyzed for salts (calcium, magnesium, manganese, and potassium at the end of the week. They can also be analyzed for other metals. Should be interesting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    Where did your co-worker come up with such a weird idea? Coffee grounds? huh. I guess you do learn something new everyday.
    Driver Found

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast