User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Which religions are represented here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odysseus,

I'm curious... How exactly does Mormonism differ from main-stream Christianity? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Do you view the Bible (in it's original form) as wholly true? If not, why?

Also, a comment on what you said...

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Of course, God needs people to tell them about him. Otherwise we would never have works like the Bible.
    God does not NEED people to tell others about him. He displays himself through His creation (see Ps. 19:1-3). He also uses people to lead other to himself. whether they will or not. However, He can and occasionally does change people's hearts without any human interaction. Why he chooses to use people I don't know, but it is a choice, not a need.

Secondly, the Bible is not purely a tool of evangelism but his word to us. God made the world in an organized fashion - every action has a reaction. Everything that was created was meant to work in a specific way. If the laws of the universe aren't followed, things go wrong. This goes for the physical world as well as the spiritual one. For example, if we decide to disregard the laws of gravity and walk off of a cliff, we WILL hurt ourselves. Similarly, if we lie or cheat on someone, the result WILL be emotional hurt, broken relationships, etc.

The Bible is merely a tool God gave us for us to see what the correct path is that will lead to our physical and spiritual "well-being". It outlines the fall of man, the need for redemption, the love and forgiveness of Christ, and similarly the love and forgiveness we are to show each other. If we follow the Bible, all will go well. In other words, the Bible is "Road Map to Reality." God made the world a certain way. Satan has blinded humans to the order of things in this universe so we consistenly mess things up. That's why this world is such a messed up place...

hope that makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 100% Christian
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

First off, I don't get tired of your questions, fatboy, nor of anyone else's. I find them stimulating. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Ok, witnessing, glorifying God, a personal relationship with Christ. These things are all ok in my book as long as you don't get in my face with them. And no one here is or I would no longer be posting here. Whatever floats your boat. Since I was a member of a christian church for a long time & no longer consider myself christian I am still looking for how anyone here is different from those sad people still going to that church I left & all the others like them. Plantakiss mentioned tolerance. Woefully lacking in our petty world! I left that church because my behavior was not tolerated by them, even by those whom I thought were my friends. I broke no laws. I was not rude even. I will not go into detail just what the issue was for risk of that same judgement here because I have been around enough to know what human nature is. Don't get me wrong, I love people, fascinating creatures we are. (We need another creature emoticon!) I call them sad because they were so shortsighted, IMO. Stopped short because of someone else's differences. I happen to love all our diversity.
    I felt called to my profession just as if I imagine one would feel called to a ministry. I serve people. Do I serve God? In your opinion, you may say yes. I do it because I believe it is what I am 'supposed' to do. I feel a very real joy when I am able to help someone.
    So, all the philosophysing (I don't think that's a word) & verbal discourse is well enough. Perhaps this is getting a bit away from the topic you started, Odysseus, though I get the impression you are not daunted in the least by this side track.
    Another side track, I find it interesting that LDS believes so strongly in knowing one's heritage. Isn't that what we're trying to preserve with our plants, as well? Esp. now the sarracenia? Hmm? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] I had always thought it was kind of elitist but now I wonder. What do you say?
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (noah @ Mar. 04 2004,11:46)]Odysseus,

I'm curious... How exactly does Mormonism differ from main-stream Christianity? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Do you view the Bible (in it's original form) as wholly true? If not, why?

Quote[/b] ]Of course, God needs people to tell them about him. Otherwise we would never have works like the Bible.
    God does not NEED people to tell others about him. He displays himself through His creation (see Ps. 19:1-3). He also uses people to lead other to himself. whether they will or not. However, He can and occasionally does change people's hearts without any human interaction. Why he chooses to use people I don't know, but it is a choice, not a need.
    To answer your questions.

First, I don't view Mormonism as any different than mainstream Christianity. I don't know why but there are groups of Churches in my home town that won't and never will accept us as fellow Christians. Why that is, I don't know. I think it may be what you said earlier. Satan will blind us. I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior and fill 100% Christian in every way.

About my belief in the Bible. We use the King James Version of the Bible, and I know the Bible to be a True witness of Jesus Christ. You said earlier in parenthesis (in it's original form) so I can see you also agree with the Bible as I do as wholly true before all the years of translation. Through translation many things have been lost. But it still testifies that Jesus of Nazareth was really there, and was the Messiah. Thus I still read it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Your second question about God needing us. You are absolutely right. I shouldn't have phrased it as a NEED. It certainly was HIS choice and it IS all HIS plan. I am sorry I worded it as a need. GOD is certainly not dependent on us! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I was just saying that we all find out about Christ at one point of another. And since Christ isn't here on Earth right now, we find out about Him and God's plans through others. That is the purpose of the Bible is it not? A Testament of a Messiah in the Old Testament and record of creation and God's organization with Temples, Priesthood and Authority. And in the New Testament it testifies that Jesus Christ was the Messiah of the Old Testament. Thus, we all find out from someone else's testimony and through our own prayer and study we find out for ourselves.

On the mission I did just that, I told other people my testimony. On the street, at their homes, in busses, in trains and parks. Only I did it 24/7. Nowadays I am not doing it 24/7, but I do it as much as possible.

Thanks for your questions! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize our society is big on relativism, humanism, new agism and existentialism, but somewhere down the line one has to deal with absolutes and reality. Here are some absolutes: God created. Part of His creation is humanity. God told the first humans certain things about His creation. He gave them boundaries and set up consequences if those boundaries were violated. The first humans chose to violate those boundaries (sin). God followed up on what He said. Those first humans died - physically and spiritually. Their offspring continued in the same manner as their ancestors and the results were identical - physical and spiritual death. Though not all of them experienced spititual death. A few, those who chose to put their faith (confidence, trust) in God, have eternal life, following their physical death.

You've heard this before: For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son to die for our sins. Those who chose to believe, trust, have condidence in this reality would not be condemned to eternal death. Instead, they will receive eternal life. No one is exempt. Nobody can claim that they are sinless. Even if you can avoid all the outward and obvious sins, your own thought life would condemn you. We have a choice: Either we continue down the path that leads to eternal death or we chose to have faith that Jesus is the Messiah / Savior / God the Son - and have life after we physically die.

Another reality: Throughout the Old Testament God plead with people to turn away from the idols / gods that they worshipped. Today we don't necessarily bow down to manmade carvings, but we do worship ourselves, our money, our wealth, and power. He said that there is only one God; only one savior. He doesn't know another. In the New Testament Jesus was constantly referred to as Savior. There are at least three instances where the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit were mentioned together - and given equal standing. Though the word Trinity never appears in the Bible, it is plainly obvious that the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit is God (singular). Since God will not contradict Himself, there cannot possibly be 3 Gods. In an over simplification of an example, I can be viewed as a father. I have four children. I also have a father. I also have a brother. I Fulfill several roles. But I am one person.

One last reality: When reading the Bible among many things it gave a clear purpose to our existence. Building upon what Noah, Snowy Falcon, and Buckeye have said, we are to worship / glorify God; be an example to and for other people with Christian faith; and be a reflection of God such that the non-believers will see their need to put their faith in Jesus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (lavenderdawn @ Mar. 04 2004,14:56)]Perhaps this is getting a bit away from the topic you started, Odysseus, though I get the impression you are not daunted in the least by this side track.
    Another side track, I find it interesting that LDS believes so strongly in knowing one's heritage. Isn't that what we're trying to preserve with our plants, as well? Esp. now the sarracenia? Hmm? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] I had always thought it was kind of elitist but now I wonder. What do you say?
    LOL! Very true! My Church's love of learning about our Geneology is similar to our desire for a Sarracenia Conservancy! Haha, hadn't thought of it that way.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] This thread sure has strayed from what I was intending but you're right, I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts here! I sure hope though that no one feels offended or challenged by my responses to questions posed to me.

Lavender, I think that is very sad about what happened with you at your old church. That same sort of thing is all TOO common. That is why we say the Gospel is perfect but people aren't. We all make mistakes, and too often people will offend others within a church which ultimately ends up with leading someone away from the church. It sure is sad.
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Actually, I thought it sad at the time, but now I feel well rid of them. I don't care to associate with hypocrites. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Also, I feel like I am more true to myself now.
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you! I just think it is sad that people can be hypocritical and force people like you away.
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast