What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spy Wiper Ads

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Has anyone ever experienced turning on your internet only to have an advertisemant for something called Spy Wiper on the default homepage? It also causes the D-drive to pop out. It has been suggested that someone, via the TerraForums, is hacking into and controlling the pc. It also keeps changing the internet settings from msn.com to that default homepage network. It also is allowing advertisements from internet explorer to keep popping up. I DO have both popup &spamblocker as well as virus blocker and Mcaffee antivirus. This has been a rececnt and intermittent phenomenon. Please help.

its a cookie on your machine that keeps changing your settings..no one is hacking your machine specifically, its being done automatically by the cookie,
(and I highly doubt it has anything at all to do with terraforums! you just picked it up somewhere on your internet travels..they are very easy to catch..)
you need to find and delete it..
try running "ad aware"
it finds all kinds of dataminers and junk..
I run it once a week..works great!

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Despite many recent advances in antivirus, spam blockers, and anti pop-ups, The people who smam and make the pop-ups are always finding ways around it. Its how they make ez money. In fact i know of a spammer in my town. Its a constant war, and your on the loosing side.

I have had the same problem for months with a site called findthewebsiteyouneed.com Not only was it my default homepage (and if i changed it, it, just like your problem, changed it back to the problem site), it installed a default serch engine and defaut toolbar. It had so many pop-ups that downloaded without asking you i had no idea what was on my computer. I even posted on this board for help - here, in fact.

The kind of program that sets your webpage is called a browser hijaker.

Just get ad-aware or something like it, that normally gets rid of the problem.

But someone will always find a way to go undetected. Hope thats not the program thats hijaking you.

Thank you for your help.

You might also want to try Spybot.  Running a second anti-spyware program will likely pick up some things that the first one missed.

i have both programs on my comuter
biggrin.gif

ad-aware should be ok, i use it on my comp and its free, maybe run the deep scan thing...

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine has some kind of bug on her computer that keeps changing the time and date...not by much...fifteen minutes one way or the other and/or two or three days at a time.  
Kinda funny since she didn't catch on at first and showed up for our regular Thursday evening beach cocktails on a Wedensday and wondered why I hadn't shown up.
laugh.gif

Back