What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to prevent algae in seed pots? :( :( :(

i have seeds planted in a pot with spahgum moss and sand covered with a cover, ALGAE spreaded on the surface of the soil and probably wiped out my precious byblis seeds
sad.gif
sad.gif

how do i prevent this? im going to plant seeds the same way with another packet of seeds i have. How do i prebent algae!!

Love to help, but i dont know

wezx,
The best cure for algae is prevention. To prevent algae (or at least delay it starting to grow), rinse the peat and other materials you use to make your soil mix several times before using it. This removes the trace amount of nutrients that algea use to grow. Keep in mind that this may not eliminate the growth of algae, but it will hopefully let your plants get a head start on growing before algae starts growing.

smile.gif

BCK

Hey, also, microwave the peat! Do it till it's REAL hot. This helps prevent algae too!

Capslock

microwave the peat? won't that stink up the microwave? is it ok to do it with the cover on? to prevent stinking up...
thanks

I microwave it dry, just sitting in a glass bowl. Then I rinse it well. No, it doesn't stink up anything much. I suppose you could cover it too.

Capslock

ok thanks ill do those, i have washed the soil mix which is 1:1 peat/sand many times and mixed them, now i have to microwave them!

Back