What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Just got 3 year old venus flytraps

Hi, I'm flytrap dude. I'm new here and I need some information on how to care for about 20 3-year old venus flytrap seedling plants. Can someone help me? Need lots and lots and lots andlots of info.! Fast!

Hi Flytrap Dude Welcome to the forums...

First check out the FAQ pages located here: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Then check out the Care sheet pinned at the top of the Venus Flytrap Section.

Then read the threads in the VFT forum.

That should cover just about everything you need to know.

If you have any specific questions not covered in those places feel free to post them and we will try to help.

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 15 2004,14:17)]Hi Flytrap Dude    Welcome to the forums...  

First check out the FAQ pages located here: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Then check out the Care sheet pinned at the top of the Venus Flytrap Section.

Then read the threads in the VFT forum.

That should cover just about everything you need to know.

If you have any specific questions not covered in those places feel free to post them and we will try to help.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve, but they are in really bad condition and they have a terrible root system too! They barely have any leaves either! I got them from Cook's Carnivorous Plants, can you believe it?! I've also got another question for you. How do you get a picture on the forum? I've got a scanner.

Thanks,
Flytrap dude

rock.gif

Johnathon,

First and foremost, you need proper light, water, and soil.

Flytraps are "full sun" plants, and should be grown outdoors provided you don't have frigid temps. If indoors, you need a good amount of light, and preferably a really sunny windowsill.

For water, you need either rain water, distilled water, or water filtered with a Reverse Osmosis filter. Tap water will kill them.

For soil, you should use peat moss and either perlite or sand. Use equal parts peat and (perlite or sand). Sit the pots of flytraps in a tray of an inch or so of water, and add water to the tray when it dries out. Never let the soil dry completely. Never use fertilizer of any kind.

Those are just the basics. If you provide them, you'll find they grow quickly, and are easy, fun plants. The plants you have may be dormant (they need a winter dormancy), and may not be in bad shape at all. Just give them their basic needs, and they should come roaring back this summer.

Capslock

Also to add to Capslock's comments.. VFTs have pretty puny root systems to begin with. As stated.. provide the basics and apply a little patience and you may be very plesently surprised.

As for posting pictures, its merely a matter of hosting them on a website that allows hyperlinking and then clicking the "image" button and entering the URL where the pic is hosted. Trashcan has set up a photo gallery located at: http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/albums.php where you can host your photos.

Steve

And be sure to use PURE CANADIAN SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back