What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is all Sand the Same?

I am getting ready to plant my first bog with Sar.
When I went to the gravel place to get sand I found that there were many types of sand, including river sand, beach sand, grit-like sand etc.
Any suggestions on what sand is best for Pitcher Plants?
Thanks for your help!
MAtt

Hi and welcome to the forums!!!

Silica sand, AKA quartz sand, is probably the safest for carnivorous plants. I got mine at a pool supply store. Usually it's called filter sand when you see it there. Before you use it make sure you rinse it in water a few times until the water you dump off is clear. Hope this help.
smile.gif

-buckeye

Thanks Buckeye, this forum is great!
Matt

thanx. is there any type of other sands that would be good?
biggrin.gif

Sandblasting sand is another, often suggested on the forum - if you can find it.

Hello Matopsis

Welcome to the forums.
biggrin.gif

Silica sand is usually recommended. Other sands such as river or beach sand may contain salt or other chemicals so its better to be safe and use something less risky. And washing (rinsing) the sand before using will help remove any other impurities. Washing your peat is good also. Put it in a bucket, add water, and then wring the peat out; do this several times. That will leach out some of the nutrient content.

Hope you stick around and have fun. Check out the Bog and Sarracenia forums for any help more specific to those issues. Feel free to ask questions.

Suzanne/PAK
smile.gif

Back