What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cultivating lfs

I remember someone recently (not so recently?) discussed a good cultivation method for live lfs. As I recall it involved a clear plastic container. Does anyone remember, or have info on the best way to grow live lfs?

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Mar. 19 2004,16:54)]I remember someone recently (not so recently?) discussed a good cultivation method for live lfs. As I recall it involved a clear plastic container. Does anyone remember, or have info on the best way to grow live lfs?

Capslock
phil faulisi did a talk on that. if you e-mailed him he could probably help you

I think Snowy Falcon was discussing it.

Hey Capslock -

A tidbit you might be interested in:

Right now, my non-dormant plants are grown under lights and I have live LFS as a top dressing on some of the CP pots including VFTs, sundews, and pitcher plants. I have noticed it grows much much much faster on the Sarracenia and Darlingtonia, which I happen to water overhead and mist weekly with a very weak acid fertilizer solution.

I'm growing some live LFS in a clear plastic bin covered with a piece of clear plastic secured with a rubberband. I'm going to try lightly misting it with the acid fertilizer solution and see if it helps, or just causes algae.......

Hope this helps.

WildBill

I use the small propagation container that comes with peat pellets. I save the pellets, and just put about 2" of peat mud as a bed. I lay the Lfs on the bed with some of the browned tips placed in the peat. I keep it about 2" or 3" from the shop lights. This is also where I start all my cuttings so it gets plenty air,and because I'm constantly sticking my head in there to see what's poppin' up I keep a spray bottle of RO next to it. The Lfs I put in there 2 months ago has gone mad
wow.gif

I grow my LFS in a sealed plastic takeout food container. I just threw in some 'starter' sprigs and let it alone. After a few months, the container is starting to be filled. When I want to put some on the top of a pot, I just yank out a few sprigs and place them where I want them. Nothing special really. The key is high humidity and patience. LFS is not a fast species to get started, but when it does it grows like, well.... a weed.
wink.gif

I have two or three 'cultures' started, so that I hopefully will have enough. I find it doesn't work well on pots that you let the surface dry out on. My Neps that are in 8 inch pots I let the surface media dry out on, because I know it's damp underneath. The LFS I put on top died. Humidity is essential.

Darcie knows a lot about spaghnum, doesn't she?

SF

Back