User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cultivating lfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember someone recently (not so recently?) discussed a good cultivation method for live lfs. As I recall it involved a clear plastic container. Does anyone remember, or have info on the best way to grow live lfs?

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Mar. 19 2004,16:54)]I remember someone recently (not so recently?) discussed a good cultivation method for live lfs. As I recall it involved a clear plastic container. Does anyone remember, or have info on the best way to grow live lfs?

Capslock
    phil faulisi did a talk on that. if you e-mailed him he could probably help you

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Snowy Falcon was discussing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Capslock -

A tidbit you might be interested in:

Right now, my non-dormant plants are grown under lights and I have live LFS as a top dressing on some of the CP pots including VFTs, sundews, and pitcher plants. I have noticed it grows much much much faster on the Sarracenia and Darlingtonia, which I happen to water overhead and mist weekly with a very weak acid fertilizer solution.

I'm growing some live LFS in a clear plastic bin covered with a piece of clear plastic secured with a rubberband. I'm going to try lightly misting it with the acid fertilizer solution and see if it helps, or just causes algae.......

Hope this helps.

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the small propagation container that comes with peat pellets. I save the pellets, and just put about 2" of peat mud as a bed. I lay the Lfs on the bed with some of the browned tips placed in the peat. I keep it about 2" or 3" from the shop lights. This is also where I start all my cuttings so it gets plenty air,and because I'm constantly sticking my head in there to see what's poppin' up I keep a spray bottle of RO next to it. The Lfs I put in there 2 months ago has gone mad [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]
    I always suspect everything is a trap....thats why I'm still alive

Times fun when you're having flys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my LFS in a sealed plastic takeout food container. I just threw in some 'starter' sprigs and let it alone. After a few months, the container is starting to be filled. When I want to put some on the top of a pot, I just yank out a few sprigs and place them where I want them. Nothing special really. The key is high humidity and patience. LFS is not a fast species to get started, but when it does it grows like, well.... a weed. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

I have two or three 'cultures' started, so that I hopefully will have enough. I find it doesn't work well on pots that you let the surface dry out on. My Neps that are in 8 inch pots I let the surface media dry out on, because I know it's damp underneath. The LFS I put on top died. Humidity is essential.

Darcie knows a lot about spaghnum, doesn't she?

SF