What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southerners

Well is anyone from the south on this board? How do you grow your CP's and what types do you have? I'm from Mississippi and I have a sundew and tropical pitcher plant. right now i can't think of the names for them b/c i'm like half awake.
rock.gif

Technically I'm from New York, but then so are 3/4 of the rest of Virginia
biggrin.gif
. I've got 3 leucos and 3 purps, 3 pots of sundews and a pot of Vfts that I grow outside in spring/summer/fall, but cooler indoor locations are necessary in the winter when temps drop to freezing and below. At least that's the case over in Roanoke, I'm sure conditions in Richmond would be okay for nearly year-round outdoor growth. Back me up here, PlantAKiss.

I'm from NC, but I have relocated to OH for a short time. I can't wait to get back to the south.

i live in N. Texas. My balcony faces a direction where it only gets REALLY direct sunlight for several hours in the morning (they're shaded during the hottest part of the day, which still made me nervous on those 100 degrees + days). My flytraps have done well outside last year. i just recently got some sundews and bladderworts (and red dragon vft) from someone... my first experience with them. think it would be a good idea to bring those inside when it really starts to get hot?

It gets hot all the way up here, cant imagine it going down south. Theres humidity in the air there!

I'm in florida (and proud of it) and I groww them the same way as half the people from up north.

Hi Y'awl!  Ah ahm a proud Verginnian!  
biggrin.gif
 Ah live in tha' old Confederate capital city of Richmond, Verginya.  Ah's located in the cultural "north of the rivah" (the rivah--as all good Verginnians know--being THE James River) which divides tha' city in half (gotta pay a gol' dern toll to get ta the other side!).  Ah don't go to that thar Southside too much...it gives me tha' vapors!  Ah live in genteel, green and gracious Ginter Park...Richmond's first suburb created by Major Lewis Ginter, far whom our Botanical Gardens are named.

Richmond is ah historical city...we have more monuments to old dead Generals and militia men than you could throw a polecat at.  Thar ever'whar!  That deah man Patrick Henry gave his "Give me liberty or give me death" speech heyah in a little bittie white frame church up in yonder Church Hill.  Edgar Allen Poe's home is heyah too...down near tha' rivah.  Tennis great Arthur Ashe was born heyah but we didn't let him play on our tennis courts back then.  Now all of a sudden he is a good ol' hometown boy and we've thrown HIS monument right thar in with the dead Generals and militiamen!  Go figger!  Actors Warren Beatty and Shirley McLaine are from heyah too but they don't seem to claim their Southern heritage.  Ah wonder whah?  ::scratches head::

Ah don't much lahk mint jewleps, grits, chitlins, blackeyed peas or okra.  Ah do mightily lahk a good country ham biscuit with redeye gravy, Brunswick stew and frahed chicken with mashed taters and gravy that will stick to your ribs.

Ah love Verginnya...rollin' green hills, beautiful blue mountains, the beach, lots of woodlands and fields...its a very purdy place to live.  But you sweat lahk a greasy pig in tha' summer.  Mercy me...ahm forgittin my manners...men sweat, women "glow."  
tounge.gif

---

CPs grow well here.  My temperates grow outside all year 'round.  Some other CPs are out in the spring/summer/fall.  Most tropicals are indoors in tanks or lighted shelving.  VFTs do well as we are not that far from their native habitat.  I have just about all types of CPs...they are scattered around everywhere inside and out.  
smile.gif

OK...I'm done. :::curtsy:::
biggrin.gif

Wow Suzanne , I'll need to to talk you whenever i need help on my history homework
biggrin.gif

Well like I said I'm a Southern Belle from Mississippi. Hi ya'll what's going on. I see the Texans are in the house but I don't see my sister state Alabama. The humidity is high here and so i'm very happy.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dead Generals and militiamen

Ya, carfull not to dig any up when gardening

You all have humidity there and are so lucky. This place has been in drought since i came here 3 years ago, and the sings arnt good this year. It goona be dry... Hows .01 inches to 1.2 inches avrage rainfall per month sound do you fellers
rock.gif

I live in south Georgia,Be glad when the cold weather goes away
tounge.gif

Jerry

ooh a Georgia person hi ya'll. I consider Georgia a close cousin of Alabama and Mississippi
biggrin.gif

lol Tuyen...history is reeeaaaally not my strong point! You just can't avoid it around here.
smile.gif
We have Jamestown, Williamsburg, Appamattox and Fredericksburg to name just a few towns steeped in early history. We have a lot of early presidents buried here in beautiful Hollywood Cemetary. History is much more enjoyable SEEING it than reading about it.
smile.gif

Looks like my post here yesterday went rouge.

I too am a Georgian, Atlanta to be precise. As for what I grow, I have representatives of just about every CP and a few other odds and ends too. About half of my plants grow outside from spring to fall but all U.S. native are outdoors year round. My highland plants go in the crawl space for the summers and get switched out with the lowlanders in the winter (the crawlspace stays between 50 and 70 year round) Those plants that are not outside or in the crawlspace are in the sunporch. For the most part everything grows great though now and then I get a tempermental plant

Nice accent thar PAK.  I will have to assume there are no statues of General Sherman in your vicinity...
smile.gif

I was born in Ahia...Ohio, spent my formative years in Sweetwater, Tennessee (which has no statues of Sherman either) and settled in Fort Lauderdale after brief stops all over South and Central America.
Down here you can plant a 2x4 in the ground and it will sprout leaves.
biggrin.gif

Well, I was born in Lafayett, Alabama ( that's LA-FET, NOT the Lousiana pronunciation), but my mom moved back to Texas, and took me with her. I spent the School years in Tx and my summers in Alabama with my dad. I completed Basic at FT. Jackson, SC and AIT at FT. Lee, VA. pak is right about Richmond, I spent quite a few of my weekends running around her stomping grounds.
I usually keep my CP's in full sun until mid May, then I give them morning sun through the hottest part of the Houston Summers.

I am from the midwest and have a burning question alot of non Texans want to know; Why when a Texan is in another part of the country they must start sentences with something about being from Texas? (2) What's in Texas that they feel the rest of us are missing out on? Just curious!

?
rock.gif
Joe
rock.gif
?

Where's Steve/RAM?? He can answer that question.
smile.gif

I've just heard everything is BIIIIIIIG in Texas.
biggrin.gif
Maybe egos are included in that?? Phil? Eh?
tounge.gif

Back