User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

24 22.02%
  • Pagan

4 3.67%
  • Atheist

23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

18 16.51%
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to confirm what Peter says, we have the Holy Spirit which is described by Jesus as 'Counsellor' and 'Helper' who was sent by Jesus after the ascension.
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock,
    I would say if you look at the character of jesus and his claims: There are 3 possibilities:

1 Jesus was a liar
    2 Jesus was a lunatic
    3 Jesus was telling the truth and he was almighty God in human form

You then have to weigh up the 3 options and ask yourself 'what is right?'

If it is true, then the consequences are very important and can't be ignored!
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (rubrarubra @ Mar. 31 2004,4:59)]
    Odysseus, about 1 in 10 of Smith's prophecies have been fulfilled. I could do that well myself. However, not one prophecy in the Old Testament has proven to be false, though many have already been fulfilled.
    Peter, I get the feeling that no matter what I ask you, your response will be similar to this one. When I respond to you I use facts about my church. You respond with statements like "1 in 10 of Smith's prophecies have been fulfilled." That is a mighty allegation. Have you found out that statistic on your own study, or are you quoting info from a webpage dedicated to fight against my church? If so, do you accept all they say as the final truth? That is like getting job referrals from your enemies. Hard to hear the good from enemies who focus on the bad.

Quote[/b] ]When I say Mormons are drawn away from God, I mean that by following mixed truth you cannot experience the whole truth as God meant for you, and you are separated from God.

Do you really know that much about my church to make that claim that we are NOT experiencing the whole truth? I fear that you have stopped debating our difference in faith, but have begun assuming you are right and that all differences I have are wrong. Please keep this friendly and open minded.

Quote[/b] ] I donít follow any prophet, but instead, Godís word which is spoken through them. We donít need prophets like Moses anymore. Now that we are redeemed by Jesus, we can speak directly to God, without a priest or a prophet in between.
    Sure you do. I don't equate following with worshiping. I don't worship my Prophet. No way! Just as you said I follow the words of God which are coming from the mouths of prophets modern and old. You say that we don't need Prophets like Moses anymore. Could you mean that honestly? Do you really look at the world today and say to yourself, "We are much smarter than the people were in the day of Moses and don't need a prophet to direct us and help us stay on path." Peter, I sincerely don't find us much better than the people who while Moses was gone created the golden calf! In fact, I fear the world is as corrupted as the city of Sodom and Gomorrah, and we NEED a Prophet bringing us DIRECT revelation from God now more than EVER!

On your second point, I agree with you! We do receive personal revelation through the Holy Ghost! We have the potential to do that everyday! But, we don't receive revelation concerning the whole world. We simply receive guidance and revelation for our own lives and loved ones we have dependent on us. But I for example couldn't receive revelation for the life of Mike King and he couldn't receive the same about mine. We aren't entitled revelation for others. But, Prophets receive words intended for the world, and they like Isaiah write it down for all to hear. Plus, Prophets see the face of God, not just simply hear His voice.

Quote[/b] ]There have been many leaders in the Church who find themeselves in a high position, and somehow it gets to their heads, God loses his importance in their lives, and they find themselves doing terrible things. Man is fallen, and as you said, even the best people aren't perfect.
    Peter
    Are you referring "Church" to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints? Because I don't know of a single prophet of my church who has as you say " somehow it gets to their heads, God loses his importance in their lives, and they find themselves doing terrible things. " Do you have any references for me that I can learn about?

thanks! Odysseus
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About not needing priest and prophets to get through God. Sure that's fine but I'm Catholic and I feel that it is good for me to talk to priest through God. I'm gonna join Odyssey's side for a turn. Okay here are some things I found out from THEIR meaning www.mormon.org. I found the basic beliefs.

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
    We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adamís transgression.
    We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
    We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
    We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
    We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
    We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
    We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
    We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon this the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
    We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
    We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
    We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of PaulóWe believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rubrarubra @ Mar. 30 2004,3:40)]Also, I do not go by what the official website of the LDS. The JWs website also defends their views as being in line with God's will and the Christian religion.

WPG, you're basically saying there is no real truth, right?

Peter
    oh yeah and about that. I believe the JW's have a twisted way of spinning things in the Bible. They take bits and pieces and say this is what God wants w/o truly looking at the whole Bible and saying God wants us to help those that are in need. No matter what even if they need blood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Peter, I get the feeling that no matter what I ask you, your response will be similar to this one. When I respond to you I use facts about my church. You respond with statements like "1 in 10 of Smith's prophecies have been fulfilled." That is a mighty allegation. Have you found out that statistic on your own study, or are you quoting info from a webpage dedicated to fight against my church? If so, do you accept all they say as the final truth? That is like getting job referrals from your enemies. Hard to hear the good from enemies who focus on the bad.
    I made my statistic after reading the list of prophecies made by Smith, both those that were and weren't fulfilled. The fact that it is on a website challenging your church is just due to the lack of similar information on LDS websites. I try to ignore all the conclusions made on such websites, but draw my own conlusions.

Quote[/b] ]Do you really know that much about my church to make that claim that we are NOT experiencing the whole truth? I fear that you have stopped debating our difference in faith, but have begun assuming you are right and that all differences I have are wrong.
    I am still trying to debate differences in our faith. My point is that mixed truth, especially when that which is added contradicts the original, is not truth.

Quote[/b] ]You say that we don't need Prophets like Moses anymore. Could you mean that honestly? Do you really look at the world today and say to yourself, "We are much smarter than the people were in the day of Moses and don't need a prophet to direct us and help us stay on path." Peter, I sincerely don't find us much better than the people who while Moses was gone created the golden calf! In fact, I fear the world is as corrupted as the city of Sodom and Gomorrah, and we NEED a Prophet bringing us DIRECT revelation from God now more than EVER!
    I do not think we are smarter or better than the people in the Old Testament. They needed a priest to go before them to God, in order to communicate with him. They needed prophets to tell them what God had to tell them. They did not have Bibles to read. They also had to make animal sacrifices to pay for their sin, as Christ hadn't taken on the sin of the world at that point. Now that we are redeemed, we can talk directly to God, he can talk directly to us, and we are guided by His word and the Holy Spirit.

With the last part I referred to the Christian church in general. However, Joseph Smith himselph practiced poligamy (the marriage of several wives). God set up marriage between one man and one and woman when he created Eve to keep Adam company, then later modeled it in the relationship between Christ and the Church. See Ephesians 5 Smith had to justify his actions, so he made sure books such as Jacob allowed polygamy. I bring up this one example as an answer to your inquiries, but I do not want to bring out the dirt on anyone else in either of our Churches.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]yeah I'm saying there is really no real truth to anything.
    WPG, is that right?
    If it isn't... since you don't bleive there is any real truth, than why do go to the trouble as a Catholic to attend masses or anything? Without truth there is also no right or wrong, nor any meaning in life, since we are all chasing after nothing.
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no truth b/c everything is in what you BELIEVE! If there was truth to anything then wouldn't everybody agree on that same thing as being the truth and if it wasn't the truth then they would all agree that it is false. To me the truth is what I believe to be true. I follow my Church b/c I BELIEVE what they say is the truth and their ideas are what I BELIEVE.