User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

24 22.02%
  • Pagan

4 3.67%
  • Atheist

23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

18 16.51%
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i didn't say murder was morally wrong for all. i say to me it is morally wrong. but when it comes to murder i guess that's where justice comes in.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! noah, you don't need the Bible to tell you murder is wrong. It stems from a rational desire for self-preservation.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock,

If my main goal was self preservation, wouldn't it be in my best interest to kill anyone who gets in my way or might endanger me or my interests in some way? You can't back up what most people consider moral absolutes unless you admit that there is a higher being that has set standards that apply to the whole universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    noah,

I can assure you that we have laws against murder because of the rationality of such a policy and not because of divine mandate. If you go around killing people who "get in your way" you'll find you've made a very bad choice for self-preservation. I think everyone here (hopefully) would agree that the best way to ensure our safety, and protect our freedom, is to make murder a very serious crime. It doesn't take a higher being to make that clear!

These are rational consensuses, not absolutes. For example, murderers don't consider it wrong. And many people, in the middle east, for example, consider killing of even civilian innocents acceptable forms of warfare.

Pretty much every law in the US has a rational basis. People are convinced of the merits of the laws and policies because of their rational basis. Otherwise, we'd go around banning shrimp because it's Biblically prohibited. Or divorce.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree w/ capslock. but some murderers do see murder as wrong but they say they can't help it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    Quote[/b] ]1. What is the most logical foolproof explanation for the origin of the Book of Mormon?
    Matthew, Mark, Luke and John also were imperfect, but the four gospels agree perfectly.

The other option is that Satan appeared to Smith as an angel and gave him false revelations, and Smith, beleiving this, wrote up the Book of Mormon. As I said earlier, Mohammed also supposedly received revelations from an angel of God.

Both of these are logical and foolproof options.
    Peter, there are many people who would argue your point, "the four Gospels agree perfectly" they do agree, but not perfectly. I know some people who use contradictions from the gospels to prove their belief that Christ wasn't the God, that you and I both believe Him to be.

I must admit, that I can't see how your "foolproof" options are truly foolproof! You can't make the claim that Satan appeared to Joseph Smith and had him write the Book of Mormon as foolproof! Plus, the argument that Mohammed claimed to have seen an Angel doesn't discount the Book of Mormon. I have no reason to doubt that Mohammed saw an Angel. The true message of the Qu'ran is one of peace and one very similar to the Law of Moses. I don't have any problems with the Muslim religion. It in its true form is a peaceful and certainly "worthy of respect" religion.

Peter, your arguments are highly biased and you offer no proof that Satan had anything to do with the Book of Mormon. The character of Satan whom I know, would NEVER dictate such a positive verse about Christ to a man:

26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 25:26)

Seriously, Peter. Satan doesn't promote faith in Christ! He doesn't bring forth what we would call "good" fruit! The Bible you and I BOTH read, study, and believe...says:

15 ¶ Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
    17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

(New Testament | Matthew 7:15 - 18)

Please look at the fruits of my church. Look at the fruits of the words contained in the Book of Mormon. Do not condemn it because it is similar to the Bible, but rejoice that the word of God is found on both continents! The East and the West should need to hear of Jesus Christ! Rejoice in the glory of that which is God, and His divine plan that there should be found HIS word in every clime! That there should be One Shepherd and One Fold!

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

(New Testament | John 10:16)

I testify to you, Peter, that I KNOW that the people of the Book of Mormon were among those other sheep. They literally HEARD the voice of Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah. I do not know of how many other cultures who were other sheep and ALSO were visited by Christ the King of Kings. I know of God. I know that Christ lives. I know that He is my Redeemer and the Redeemer of every peoples of this world. East and West. North and South. I know that someday we will be of One fold and One Shepherd. I know this because I have asked God in prayer, and He has revealed His plan unto me. This I testify in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very well said!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odysseus, it is true that the options I presented aren’t foolproof, but they are at least as beleivable as yours. Of course I have no proof that Satan appeared to Smith, but the evidence is at least as great as that for the revelations having been of God. You say you know the character of Satan. Well, he does his best to draw people away from God and the truth. The easiest way to do this is to produce an almost true version, to confuse people. In the garden of Even, Satan told Eve something that sounded truthful, and succeded in drawing all of mankind away from God. II Corinthians 11:14 says “Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light”. This could easily have happened with Smith. The reason I brought up Mohammed, is that after getting revelations, he started a religion that included many seemingly good things. Among other things, it is the duty of a Muslim to put any family member who converts to Christianity to death. Some of the chapters allow polygamy. See Psalms 19:7 – “The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.” How can the Book of Mormon be the law of the Lord, if it is imperfect? I don’t consider half-truth to be a good fruit.
    I’d like to see examples of inconsistencies between the Gospels. Also saying “I know” or “I testify” doesn’t prove a thing. Now please be so kind as to answer my question:
    Quote[/b] ]You say that the Mormons who practice polygamy have broken off from the LDS but still call themselves Mormons. Isn’t that the same as Mormons calling themselves Christians, except on a much smaller issue?
    Peter