User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

    3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

    0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

    0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

    19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

    24 22.02%
  • Pagan

    4 3.67%
  • Atheist

    23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

    2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

    16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

    18 16.51%
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Results 129 to 136 of 320

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

  1. #129
    Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Noah,

    No problem. I don't and have never felt a personal attack. Their have been blatant attacks on my church though, that's why I am glad to respond.

    Noah, do you know enough about Joseph Smith to say that only 10% of his prophecies have come true?

    But, I should probably fight our point on that matter. I will need a few days but I will return with my Church's side of the matter. And show our perspective on which prophecies came true or not. It will most likely differ from the perspectives of the Anti-Mormon websites, but that is expected.

    However:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] have no problem with modern day revelations. I fully believe that God can and does talk to us now. However - and this is the focal point of our disagreement - the "revelations" have to line up with current scripture to be true (God does not change)
    What scripture are you referring to? The Bible? You do understand that throughout the Bible there was Prophecy and that the Bible wasn't written in the Chronological order that is in today? Don't you?

    Which Prophecy conflicts with today's scripture in the KJV of the Bible? If you can point some out it will be more clear as to how I can approach your question.

    On another note, some of the "simple truths" I am referring to:

    1. God is the Father of Jesus Christ and they are NOT one being, but two seperate beings belonging to a Godhead. God, the Father WAS not on Earth at the time of Jesus Christ's life. God, the Father is NOT Jesus Christ. They are seperate.

    2. The head of the Church are Apostles and Prophets. Not what we have today. For example, evangelists, Priests, or even a Pope. The Pope was a creation LONG after the time of Christ.

    3. The Authority to act in the name of God is called the Priesthood. The Higher Priesthood was held by Melchizedek and others at the time. Moses received the Higher Priesthood from Jethro. Later, a lesser Priesthood was created by God to act as a preparatory priesthood before someone received the Higher Priesthood. This lesser Priesthood was bestowed upon Aaron the Brother of Moses by Moses. Moses then through revelation taught that the Aaronic Priesthood should remain ONLY in the tribe of Levi. This Priesthood has been lost. If there was no Apostacy from the original church then the ONLY Church with claim to the AUTHORITY would be the original Roman Catholic Church.

    4. The Temple and the use of the Temple. The Temple in the Old Testament was used mainly as a place for Sacrifice and worship to Christ who WOULD come and be the Lamb laid at the slaughter. After Christ's Atonement and making an end to the Law of Moses. He laid down a NEW Law. Temples still existed at that time. As Paul VERY briefly refers to, one of the acts done in the Temples was Baptisms for the dead. 1 Corinthians 15:29. For most beliefs that scripture means nothing and bears a question mark up for interpretation about what Paul was talking about. Thanks to modern day Prophets the Lord revealed to us the background and reason for that Scripture. I personally am glad that I have a logical explanation for it, and that no real symbolic interpretation was needed to explain it. Just "Simple" truth. They performed baptisms for the dead, so we are likewise commanded to perform them.


    Those are a few. Hope that answers a bit of your questions.

    Take care! After a couple days I will have an answer for you about what the REAL percentage of Joseph Smith's prophecies came true.
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

    My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

  2. #130
    rubrarubra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Ventura county, southern CA
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Peter, I think that is your worst argument yet. You must be getting frustrated. I apologize if I have seemed rude or offensive. Frankly, that last point to your argument which I quoted above is unquestionably ridiculous.
    First place, my argument was more logical than many others Iíve seen here, and yes, I am getting frustrated when perfectly logical arguments are not logically challenged straight on.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I am not sure what you want me to debate about. You quoted a different scripture from Paul not Acts in your last point and I didn't know what about Acts you found odd.Ē
    I didnít find anything odd about Acts. What I find odd is how your church came to the conclusion that Acts 3:19-21 referred to Mormonism. Here is my last argument put very simply:

    The passage pretty obviously refers to the restoration of Israel as a nation following God. The prophets did not prophesy from the beginning of the world of the church dying and being restored. The primary things they talked about was Israelís downfall, Christís coming, and Israelís restoration in the last days.
    The church Peter and his fellow apostles planted has existed to this day. It always followed God, to varying degrees.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I think everyone on this forum has decided for themselves what is right what isn't and they are not one bit wrong for it! Everyone has their own idea of what is right and what isn't. Don't know why my Church is any different.
    So you are basically saying as everybody else that there is no absolute right or wrong. After all, everybody can decide for themselves. Well, last time I checked, that wasnít biblicalÖ

    Now, I think I explained the council of Nicea plainly enough earlier. We canít prove anything by it though, so I refuse to spend any more time discussing the matter.

    Peter

  3. #131

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (rubrarubra @ April 03 2004,4:32)]So you are basically saying as everybody else that there is no absolute right or wrong. After all, everybody can decide for themselves. Well, last time I checked, that wasnít biblicalÖ

    Now, I think I explained the council of Nicea plainly enough earlier. We canít prove anything by it though, so I refuse to spend any more time discussing the matter.

    Peter
    Well, we all decided what religion we wanted to be. Others decided not be religious at all. I think everybody believes that their way is the right way. Don't get frustrated over this. It's just a simple debate. Mormons believe in things others might not understand. I don't understand Mormonism, but I could think that some of the things they say are wrong, but that's why I'm apart of the Roman Catholic Church and not a Mormon. I think only God knows what is actually the absolute right. We interpret what we believe God wants us to do.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

    Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

  4. #132
    rubrarubra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Ventura county, southern CA
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey WPG, we already discussed this. Two people can have conflicting ideas of what is right and wrong. They can't both be right. If you treat Christianity simply as a religion or the church as a just community this view would be legitimate. But biblically, there is good and evil, defined by God in his word, wether we acknowledge it or not.

    I hadn't adressed what you quoted to you, but to Odysseus, who being a zealous Mormon should know what is right (I'm not saying he does or doesn't).

    Peter

  5. #133

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I just am so proud that I am part of my church I don't know what to do. I even go to a Jesuit University. I've been in a Catholic all my life.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

    Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

  6. #134
    Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]First place, my argument was more logical than many others Iíve seen here, and yes, I am getting frustrated when perfectly logical arguments are not logically challenged straight on.
    Peter,

    I hope you will accept my apology for frustrating you. Everytime you wrote something I would quote it and answer my feelings on what you said. I thought I was answering logically. You can't claim that my thoughts aren't logical just because they differ from yours. My beliefs have 80% more doctrine behind it. Much more is found in the Bible than you think. We just don't have the time here to talk about them all. I have tried my best explaning my feelings. I sure hope you will accept my apology in frustrating you. I am REALLY sorry. I must have a bad way of explaining things. So, for the sake of this thread I won't bother anyone with my defences anymore. You have seen almost all I could tell you about my beliefs without meeting you in person to allow longer discussion. You can between those of you who want to, discuss the comparisons of my Church and yours, without any interference from me. Thanks for your patience with me, I am glad to have been apart of this. I hope ANY of you whom I have offended will find it in your hearts to forgive me if I have offended you.

    Good luck growing.

    Aaron King (Odysseus)
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

    My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

  7. #135

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a new Christian, but I must add, what about the Bible being rooted in history backed by archaeological findings. If I'm not mistaken what archaeological facts have been founded by Joseph Smith's claims? And corrrect me if I'm wrong, for example, a claim that Christ appeared to the North America Indians during those 40 days?

  8. #136
    rubrarubra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Ventura county, southern CA
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Odysseus, don't worry about it! I'd be happy to keep on debating if you are willing to adress my arguments without going off on side points.
    Peter

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •