User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

24 22.02%
  • Pagan

4 3.67%
  • Atheist

23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

18 16.51%
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron, the names Elohim and Yahweh do show up in the Original Hebrew Manuscripts. This is what Mike is talking about. I have the manuscripts in my Hebrew/Greek/English Interlinear Bible. Then when you consult a lexicon such as Strong's Concordance you will see these "names" assigned numbers to make study easy. The reason you see God instead of Elohim and Lord instead of Yahweh is the translators decision when translating into English. Mike do you use these kinds of study tools?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I do Zappafan, I did an excellent Christian teaching course 10 years ago which is non denominational, you get get a look at their website http://www.workshop.org.uk/

I am sending material to Aaron and anyone else who cares to read the teaching about the Trinity, Godhead etc so if you would like a copy please send me an email and I will send you scans..

Aaron, the text from Deuteronomy contains both Yahweh and Elohim. It the Hebrew scriptures, 'Elohim' was like stating the royal 'we'. For example Queen Victoria once stated 'We are not amused' speaking for herself.
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can click on the 'Statements of faith' and you can see the standpoint cited there on the Workshop site
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]NOLU
    I am an atheist not to look cool. I just don't think there are any Gods. You could say I was catholic but only because I had my communion and confirmation but that of course was down to my parents taking me there.

Even at school I was very good at Religious education but as I got older, I soon made up my mind that there was no such thing.

That's just me. I do respect other people's beliefs

NOLU: You sound similar to me - before I became a Christian in college - only I was the Jewish version. I went to a Hebrew school two nights a week for 5 years. I learned how to read, write, and speak Hebrew and had a Bar Mitzvah when I was 13. Read the Old Testament all the way through and learned of Jewish history. Didn't learn anything about faith. Consequently, by the time I was 15, I was a self-described atheist. Even though the truth was staring me in the face and I read it, my spiritual eyes were blind and my spiritual ears were deaf. It's amazing how we can hear and see and yet NOT hear and see.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a Christian since 10/6/76 and have learned a lot since then. I am STILL learning new things as well as having head knowledge sink into my heart. In the past few months three concepts have gone from my head to my heart:

1) Satan, from the beginning of the Gospels, was doing everything in his arsenal to undermine God. He tried to tempt Jesus to choose the power, pride, and bodily needs. He tried to have his demons proclaim His identity. He tried to turn His miracles into circus acts. He tried to make Him an earthly king. He tried to kill Him as a newborn. He tried to get His disciples confused about His mission. He tried to keep Him from the cross. Jesus would have none of that nonsense.

2)The phrases, actions, and metaphors that Jesus used have lost their meaning to the common reader of today and thus wrong conclusions have been drawn about what Jesus claimed about Himself. Jesus referred to Himself as Son Of Man and has been called Son Of God. He called Himself I Am. He healed people and forgave sins. Today's reader misses the point. When the Jewish leaders picked up stones to kill him because of blasphemy - they understood that Jesus was claiming to be God and doing the things that only God had the power and authority to do. Jesus, in more than one place, claimed to be GOD!! And they knew it. They just couldn't believe that He could be. All throughout the gospels Jesus, in one form or another, was claiming to be God and do what only God could do. He wasn't claiming to be "a God" or "a god." He was claiming to BE THE GOD.

3) He was also claiming to be God in human flesh. God limited himself by being in a human body, with human emotions, with human limitations. A lot of people are uncomfortable with this concept and have struggled to understand how or why Jesus, if God, would say things like, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" Or, why Jesus would say that the Son of Man doesn't know the day or hour of certain events. Or why He would seek lonely places out to pray to His Father. Many Christians find it difficult to fathom. But God HAS the capacity to limit Himself to being fully human as well being fully God. Just because humans find it weird, doesn't mean it isn't truth or doesn't sound possible or logical. WE can't do that - but He can - and did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mike and Zappafan,

I was unaware that Mike was putting Yahweh and Elohim there in parenthetics because he was letting me know that the Hebrew version of the text in Deuteronomy have them there instead of the english words Lord and God. I thought Mike was placing them there himself. My mistake!

Mike, next time you are quoting several language versions of a text it would be helpful if you labelled it. That way I could answer better without confusing it. Thanks.
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]That way I could answer better without confusing it.
    Now that you know, the answer is...

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im getting a lil' lost on the topic but oh well. Very interesting subject. Are we talking about the Trinity?
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*