User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

24 22.02%
  • Pagan

4 3.67%
  • Atheist

23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

18 16.51%
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ April 14 2004,4:32)]wolfpackgirl, I agree with you. I don't find the discussion itself semantic qubbling. In fact, I enjoy such exercises.

What I find semantic quibbling is dividing people between Christian and non-Christian based on their interpretation of the nature of the trinity. It seems a rather trivial point of dispute in the grand scheme of things. Belief in the trinity isn't among the Ten Commandments, is never specifically mentioned in the Bible or by Jesus, and doesn't seem central to the doctrine of any of the various traditional Christian sects or the LDS.

I still feel there's an effort here to undermine the Mormon church through pointing out alleged "flaws" in its doctrine. If it's just as a way of learning about what Mormons are all about, then it's all good, but it seems to be about undermining Mormonism, in which case folks should take a long hard look at their own beliefs first, because they're equally legitimate, but no more so.

Capslock
    I'm not saying their religion is not legit, im not undermining the Mormon faith. As a Catholic it is a big "central" part of our faith and I was difining the Trinity based on the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church. Like I said we are not dividing b/t Christian and non-Christian just based on the Trinity there are other things that divide it too. This is the second argument which divides it. The first one was believing in everything that Jesus taught, that was like in the 4 or 5 pages of this topic. I am divided myself because as a Catholic I believe Mormons and the Watchtower are non-Christians, I go by what my faith says and I do understand according to my faith why they are not, but as an individual i still don't see the Watchtower as Christians but I am unsure as to whether Mormons are or aren't. By believing in many God's that is polythestic and the Christian religion is Monothestic.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wolfpackgurl,
    Again, I'm in some agreement with what you're saying, except for one point: I think it's up to people to define what they are for themselves. There are a lot of people who don't think Catholics are Christians because they worship Mary. There are always doctrinal differences. And it's fine to argue doctrinal differences and such, but it's not fine to presume to define for someone else what they are. If Odysseus defines himself as a Christian, it's not up to you or anyone else to proclaim that they are not. It's not a label owned by any particular church.

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Capslock, I agree that Christianity is not a label owned by a particular church. However, there are many churches that have unbiblical doctrine. Instead of relying fully on God's word, they add rules or ideas and think they are right.
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ April 14 2004,8:04)]wolfpackgurl,
    Again, I'm in some agreement with what you're saying, except for one point: I think it's up to people to define what they are for themselves. There are a lot of people who don't think Catholics are Christians because they worship Mary. There are always doctrinal differences. And it's fine to argue doctrinal differences and such, but it's not fine to presume to define for someone else what they are. If Odysseus defines himself as a Christian, it's not up to you or anyone else to proclaim that they are not. It's not a label owned by any particular church.

Max
    First of all Catholics DO NOT WORSHIP MARY!!!!! That's false. Second of all people do define what they are and not. I define what I am not. Odyssey can define what he is all he wants that's fine I have no problem with. Just because he defines himself as something doesn't mean i can not despute it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Capslock,
    I think the central issue for me is upholding the truth about the Bible and about God. When the Bible says there is one God and the book of Mormon claims to be 3, one must be wrong!
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, Mike. I think the organizational principle of the trinity can be described as one or three, and still be accurate. These labels are language that just isn't precise enough to parse the unique characteristics of the trinity concept, and the difference in views isn't as stark as the language implies, imo.

Wolfpackgurl, I agree Catholics don't worship Mary, but that's something that a lot of people allege as a point of doctrinal difference. I was just using it as an example of donctrinal semantic quibbles dividing Christians. Some people really think that about Catholics!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ April 15 2004,12:10)]Not really, Mike. I think the organizational principle of the trinity can be described as one or three, and still be accurate. These labels are language that just isn't precise enough to parse the unique characteristics of the trinity concept, and the difference in views isn't as stark as the language implies, imo.

Wolfpackgurl, I agree Catholics don't worship Mary, but that's something that a lot of people allege as a point of doctrinal difference. I was just using it as an example of donctrinal semantic quibbles dividing Christians. Some people really think that about Catholics!

Capslock
    I know people think that about Catholics I'm a Catholic myself. The difference b/t that is that is false and what Odyssey is saying is true about his religion. I honestly don't care if he calls himself a Christian or not, but I go w/ my religion on what is a Christian and what isn't and so do others. A person of the watchtower can say im not a Christian and I'm going to dispute no matter what, that's their beliefs but I am going to dispute something if I have a feeling about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

There has been very much said here. I don't know what to talk about. The "Christian" title. The Trinity. Or quote some people's replies and ask them for a clarification. I don't feel that much is being debated here besides things about me! HAHA!

Hmm...Maybe I'll just address them all. Please be patient with me and my following post.
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs