User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

24 22.02%
  • Pagan

4 3.67%
  • Atheist

23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

18 16.51%
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In conclusion to what I am saying. Mormons are Christians according to their beliefs that doesn't mean other people have to see them as being christians nor do they have to see others as being christians. It's just a dispute that people debate to further understand why each one says why or why not they are christians and why or why not according to their beliefs others are or aren't Christians. This is not degrading anyone or their religion it just shows that even the most simple things are a big deal in each Church b/c that is what seperates each denomination and religion.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, the "Christian" issue:
    I have heard several of you say things like, "I go with who my Church says is Christian or not." Just curious. Why does your Church even spend time teaching it's patrons how to discern between people claiming to be Christian? Why is it important to call someone NOT Christian when they fully believe they are Christian? Isn't it up for the individual to decide?

The Trinity and some quotes needing clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (rubrarubra @ April 14 2004,10:58)]Casper, the reason we are debating the Trinity is that it is one thing that proves the Book of Mormon not to be God's word.
    Quote[/b] (Mike King @ April 14 2004,5:49)]Hi Capslock,
    I think the central issue for me is upholding the truth about the Bible and about God. When the Bible says there is one God and the book of Mormon claims to be 3, one must be wrong!
    Mike and Peter, I have simply been discussing my Church's views about the Trinity. I have never used scripture verses from the Book of Mormon to describe my Church's beliefs about the Trinity. But have used quotes from the King James Version of the Bible. Why then do you think that the Trinity debate is about the Book of Mormon? I haven't been discussing the Trinity trying to prove the Book of Mormon is true...so why do you guys bring up the Book of Mormon? If you want to discuss the Book of Mormon then let's do. But, for the meantime debate one thing at a time. Please.

Last of all, Peter, about what you said here:
    Quote[/b] ] However, there are many churches that have unbiblical doctrine. Instead of relying fully on God's word, they add rules or ideas and think they are right.
    Peter
    This "add rules or ideas" part. The Council in Nicaea was a good example of what you just said. They didn't "rely fully" on the words contained in the Bible and wanted to clarify and therefore "added" the Nicaean Creed. Even all the Bishops involved didn't agree on the Creed. Those who disagreed were cut off from the Church. Wouldn't you consider the Council of Nicaea as to doing just what you said was "not right" from what I quoted above?
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christianity = Following Christ
    Mormonism = Sort of following Christ, with a bunch of Bible-contradicting doctrine added on.

That is why I don't beleive Mormonism to be a valid form of Christianity.
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (wolfpackgurl @ April 14 2004,8:57)]Mormons are Christians according to their beliefs that doesn't mean other people have to see them as being christians nor do they have to see others as being christians.
    Thanks WPG for what you have said. I believe, entirely, that you have no animosity or any strong convictions on whether I am a Christian or not.

Thanks!
    --Aaron
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rubrarubra @ April 14 2004,9:05)]Christianity = Following Christ
    Mormonism = Sort of following Christ, with a bunch of Bible-contradicting doctrine added on.

That is why I don't beleive Mormonism to be a valid form of Christianity.
    Peter
    Peter,

That is just ridiculous and offers no intelligent edge to our debate about the trinity. I am fine with offering response to the challenges made here about my Church. However, I won't stand to statements, especially like your last one, where extreme generalizations about my Church is made without any reason or information backing it up.

Remember, Peter. More people than you or I are reading this thread and I think you owe me and my Church the dignity to not make claims as harsh as this last one. Frankly, you don't know enough people in my church to make the claim that they are "sort of following Christ." Please, don't hesitate to be respectful here.

Please?

--Aaron
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Odysseus @ April 14 2004,8:04)]First of all, the "Christian" issue:
    I have heard several of you say things like, "I go with who my Church says is Christian or not." Just curious. Why does your Church even spend time teaching it's patrons how to discern between people claiming to be Christian? Why is it important to call someone NOT Christian when they fully believe they are Christian? Isn't it up for the individual to decide?
    Well doesn't your church have a defination of what being a Christian is since Mormons say they are Christians?? My theory is this, when a Church says they are Christian then there is a reason as to why they claim that. As for the Roman Catholic Church we do have a set of beliefs as to what make a Christian a Christian anyone who doesn't have all of those beliefs are not Christians to the Roman Catholic Church. We really don't care if you call yourself a Christian b/c we might not be Christians to other religions. To each his own. If you believe you are a Christian we are very curious to find out why and then we will tell you according to our BELIEFS why we BELIEVE you are not and you can tell us why we're not, but if you ask people to put THEIR BELIEFS apart and think of it in a general term most of us including priest will say yes Mormons are Christians. We are taught what is a Christian and so is everyone who claims to be one. To us it's not important to call someone a non-christian. If they believe they are then that's fine. We just want them to understand this is what we believe and you want us to understand this is what you believe. We are all set in our own beliefs and nothing can change that. I argue using my beliefs and so do you. I can also argue putting my beliefs aside. I can't even use the KJV Bible b/c that isn't the Catholic Bible and there are many texts missing from that Bible that the Catholic Bible has. I mean if someone says I'm not Christian then I'm oh yeah but i'm Roman Catholic and proud, then i will say why i am Christian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odyssey you give me good reasons that i can dispute w/ and you don't put me down and I hope I don't put you down about anything. I hope you just understand I am using my beliefs to give reasons why just as you are. I'm not using the Catholic Bible I am using the Catholic Catechism to give my reasons for what I say. But in the end it's just a fun way of understanding your religion in a peaceful manner. I feel kinda like we are at a cafe talking and saying wise things to each other to better understand our beliefs and going away w/ the knowledge that wow there are more differences and similarites then we think. I would never say your church is wrong or you don't know what you are talking about. I am just giving my opinion based on my faith just like you are. So in the end there is no right or wrong on our beliefs just the fact that we better understand each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect! That is already what I understood about you. No problem, WPG!

About what you said here:
    Quote[/b] ]Well doesn't your church have a defination of what being a Christian is since Mormons say they are Christians??
    Sure, we have our doctrine and our beliefs. We have reasons why we are Christian. But OUR reasons for being Christian includes beliefs like i.e. a polytheistic Godhead that differs from other Christians. But, we don't then assume that other Christian beliefs who don't parallel ours aren't Christians, no. Just that they are another Christian church.

P.S. Wolfpackgurl, has your Mom been visited by the Mormon missionaries again since the last time you mentioned it? How is that going?
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs