User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

24 22.02%
  • Pagan

4 3.67%
  • Atheist

23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

18 16.51%
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Peter, from some points of view the entire concept seems really stretched and make little sense.

I came across this the other day and I was stunned the way it so eloquently describes religion the way I see it (note I am not hitting on christianity in particular here). Incidentally, this was written by an ex-Mormon however it is applicable to almost any religion so I don't want Aaron to take it personally, fortunately I know he's sensible enough not to

Gus and his friends

Troy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that is basically what Christianity would be like if it were just a religion.
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, from www.dictionary.com

reˇliˇgion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
    n.

Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
    The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
    A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

END OF DEFINITION

That pretty much sums up christianity in all it's various forms.
    What part of the above do you disagree with?
    You don't believe in or have reverence for a supernatural power?

I have one other definition for you:

reˇlaˇtionˇship ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-lshn-shp)
    n.
    1. The condition or fact of being related; connection or association.
    2. Connection by blood or marriage; kinship.
    3. A particular type of connection existing between people related to or having dealings with each other: has a close relationship with his siblings.
    4. A romantic or sexual involvement.

END OF DEFINITION

Which kind of relationship are you having with god?
    As I understand it all of the above definitions imply some kind of interaction, i.e. a response from BOTH sides - you AND god.

Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, here is what I meant. Christianity is often viewed as a religion; a beleif in God, and a set of rules that come with it. Prayer is often considered merely talking to God, or thinking good thoughts. This is all a good number of people ever experience. I would be a Christian if this is all it amounted to.

I think of Christianity as a relationship. The most important thing in my life is my relationship with God. The opinion of others doesn't matter at all compared to what God thinks of me. He is my best friend possible. I have seen him do amazing things in my life when I trust in him. Prayer is a two way dialogue between you and God.

It really is impossible to describe Christianity as I have experienced it, because it is more awsome than anything the world has to offer.

Most people are very skeptical about the possibilty of God. This is because they simply do not have the faith to beleive anything that cannot be scientifically proven.

Peter

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (fatboy @ April 16 2004,9:41)]Peter, from www.dictionary.com

reˇliˇgion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
    n.

Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
    The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
    A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

END OF DEFINITION

That pretty much sums up christianity in all it's various forms.
    What part of the above do you disagree with?
    You don't believe in or have reverence for a supernatural power?
    There is more then just that that sums up Christianity that just shows that we are a religion.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Troy,
    Thanks for your input, but the creation story does not demand a literal interpretation of genesis Chapter 1. With the you can have various styles of writing; poetry, history, letters, prophecy, picture language,the law and even song! That does give the reader an insight how to interpret. For example, how are we to interpret "A third of all the stars fell to earth.." in Revelation?

To answer briefly about the creation story, it is a poem ( it actually rhymes in its original language) to remember the Sabbath. In essence, the truth is God brought it all about. The Hebrew word 'Yom' which is used for day is not neccessarily a 24 hour period, but a period of time. Though God could have spoken the Earth in an old state, that is not his character at all.
    I personally believe in a 15,000,000,000 year old Universe, but I see no basis for conflict between Science and religion, after all Einstein said "Science without Religion is blind, religion without science is lame'. Stephen Hawking was quoted to have said when coming with the Big Bang theory there is a place for God in all this.

If you would like a copy of the workshop notes on this subject I would gladly pass them onto you, but it is intersting to note so many of the pioneering scientists over the last 400 years were believers!
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Troy,
    I began my relationship with God through Jesus Christ in 1978..I can really say that, because I know him. Its a bit like a marriage, you either know you are married or not!
    In the Hebrew scriptures, God is saying he wants to know his people with intimacy ('Yada'..Hebrew to know) and the solution to the problem came in the form of Jesus (Romans Ch 8 v1 ..So now there is no condemnation for those in Christ..) means we have the possibility to become 'Children of God..' (John 1 V 12.)
    Thats the kind of relationship we speak about, a loving Father God..
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where exactly in the Bible are the contradictions? I would be interested in seeing them.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis