User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

24 22.02%
  • Pagan

4 3.67%
  • Atheist

23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

18 16.51%
Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay now what are we debating about? I'm lost. I know it's not the Trinity is back to what Christianity is or what? I wanna put my imput but I can't unless I understand what is going on.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Troy,
    Once again, I invite you to have a copy of my study notes which can answer 95% of your remarks, and again no comment on my own experiences with God.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Given the factors I have outlined in previous posts I am highly sceptical that you can determine these things as they were intended by the orginal author. Christians firmly believed that the earth was created in 6 days until this was scientifically disproven and then this part of Genesis suddenly became a metaphor? It's a matter of convenience rather than determination.
    I have a detailed answer for you, are you interested in an answer?

Quote[/b] ]Again you allude to "knowing" what is correct in the Bible.
    I "know" there is no Christian God.
    When it comes to sheer numbers of people, I am in the majority on this earth so who is right?
    So you "know" there is no Christian God? OK then we could also leave it like that and beg to differ?
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (fatboy @ April 18 2004,8:10)]Given the factors I have outlined in previous posts I am highly sceptical that you can determine these things as they were intended by the orginal author. Christians firmly believed that the earth was created in 6 days until this was scientifically disproven and then this part of Genesis suddenly became a metaphor? It's a matter of convenience rather than determination.

Quote[/b] ]You sincerely have the Bible shape you - not the other way around.
    If you are "determining" what people meant rather than reading it and taking it literally then aren't you shaping the Bible?

Again you allude to "knowing" what is correct in the Bible.
    I "know" there is no Christian God.
    When it comes to sheer numbers of people, I am in the majority on this earth so who is right?

Peter:
    I not someone's tool.
    Particularly if that someone is petty and hypocritical ie telling us not to kill and then ordering it on a grand scale themselves.

In Exodus 11:9 God sends ten plagues on Egypt because Pharaoh won't release the Hebrews, but he deliberately hardens Pharaoh's heart so he refuses to release the Hebrews making these plagues necessary in the first place - God admits this is so he can perform 'his wonders'.

How do HONESTLY reconcile, in your mind and in your heart, that your god, who is supposed to be all loving, can do things like this?
    I am not asking you for an answer, just think about the ethics of it.
    If I have to resort to your kind of reasoning to excuse this kind of hypocracy then I figure my life is better without him.

Cheers, Troy.
    Im many ways I feel you are belittling my faith but I will say this much to begin in the Old testament people did believe that God should be feared. God does love everyone but he does punish those that disobey him. In the new Testament God is loving and caring because that's what Christians believe and that is what is recorded in the Bible. The point is most demoninations believe the Bible should be taken literally, but the Roman Catholic Church says that these are stories and lessons on to learn what God wants us to do. I mean you can't prove these things actually happened and it is very hard to disprove them also. The Bible was written over 2000 yrs. ago it would be very hard to apply everything literally word for word to what is going on today. What do you actually interpret literally in your life? You always anaylize things to figure out how can I apply this in my daily life. Since you choose not to believe in God then I don't think you would understand what I am trying to say since you have already made up your mind and have set your standards to that.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WPG, many of the stories have been proven, and we have a geneology from Abraham to Jesus. I am pretty sure that most of the stories of the Old Testament are accurate.
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems it is about time that I chime in here.

I have appreciated Troy's opinion on here, because his DOES represent a huge majority of the world. As an LDS Missionary for my Church, most people I met shared Troy's opinion and I had a great time trying to share with them what my feeling's are. Whether or not he agrees with me, I doubt that that constitute's "belittling of [one's] religion." I think we must understand that Troy's participation here is one of respect. He does respect all of our religions. He just doesn't follow one of his own.

Now about God "killing" people.

First let's look at this and suppose God has been proven to exist. Let's just presume for the moment that we all know God. Now:

Before we were on this Earth we were with God. After this life we can return to be with God. Thus, we must assume that life is more of a CIRCLE than a linear point A to point B philosophy. Point is, "death" on Earth is not the end.

Second, we must compare the world HERE to the "world" with God. Most would assume that there is no crime, evil, hatred, sickness, or pain. Sounds like a pretty nice place to live, compared to what you and I are experiencing now.

Suppose, God had a plan for someone or even a whole group. And that there were people making the wrong choices who stood in their way. These people making wrong choices are STILL God's children as you and I are. He loves them as much as He loves us. Does He like watching them make mistakes? No! Does He want them to end up in "####" away from Him? No! Like most Fathers on earth, He loves ALL His children the Good and the Bad.

When God "punishes" those wicked people with "death" as some here have called it. Don't you think that it really isn't a punishment? To take someone from this world into the next to be with Him is HARDLY a CRUEL punishment. It actually shows LOVE compared to anger and chastisement! He is simply getting them out of the way of His plan on the Earth, and dealing with them personally. A loving Father teaches.

In conclusion, if life has no end or beginning then death is no punishment or terrible thing! Death is merely the passing on from THIS world. Even Christ said that ALL would be resurrected, the good and the bad. So, tell me, where is the evil thing in God taking someone's life on this earth? Especially, when it does no harm to the person?

Now, this is why I LOVE the Book of Mormon. I use it along side the Bible, to help me clarify things like what you guys have been talking about. Why if God is loving, does He kill people? Frankly, God has a very good reason to let people die whenever He commands it. He needs a nation to survive in belief in Him, more than He needs some of His children killing all those who believe in Him. Here, in the Book of Mormon is a scripture that talks about a young man named Nephi. He was commanded by his father Lehi, who was commanded by God, to go and retrieve the "brass plates." Those plates contained all of thier geneology, and most of the Old Testament from 600 B.C. to the early day's of Adam and Eve. This was VERY important for the family of Lehi to have, because they NEEDED to teach their Children who would in turn teach THEIR children about God and His plan as it has been recorded in the plates of brass.
    Quote[/b] ]I, Nephi, crept into the city and went forth towards the house of Laban.
    6 And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.
    7 Nevertheless I went forth, and as I came near unto the house of Laban I beheld a man, and he had fallen to the earth before me, for he was drunken with wine.
    8 And when I came to him I found that it was Laban.
    9 And I beheld his sword, and I drew it forth from the sheath thereof; and the hilt thereof was of pure gold, and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, and I saw that the blade thereof was of the most precious steel.
    10 And it came to pass that I was constrained by the Spirit that I should kill Laban; but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I shed the blood of man. And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him.
    11 And the Spirit said unto me again: Behold the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands. Yea, and I also knew that he had sought to take away mine own life; yea, and he would not hearken unto the commandments of the Lord; and he also had taken away our property.
    12 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me again: Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands;
    13 Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 4:5 - 13)
    "It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief."

The family of Lehi was leaving Jerusalem and with them had NO record of God's Law as it was contained in the Law of Moses. Nephi, KNEW that he needed to get those plates because his family needed to know the law. He said later on in the chapter speaking of his family and mostly his future descendents:
    Quote[/b] ]15 Yea, and I also thought that they could not keep the commandments of the Lord according to the law of Moses, save they should have the law.
    16 And I also knew that the law was engraven upon the plates of brass.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 4:15 - 16)
    The plates of brass were NOT the only record of the Law of Moses, but was one of the many records kept. It was good that the family of Lehi obtained a copy of the Law of Moses, so that they could live according to it which is God's law.

As the story continues, Nephi did slay Laban who was laying asleep in a drunken stupor, and Nephi used his clothes to obtain the brass plates under the subterfuge that he was "Laban." It is a great story, and rather interesting if you were ever to read it.

At any rate, there is my opinion on why God is still a loving Father and gracious God, even though in that past He has had to strike down some wicked children of His, so that a 'whole nation would not have to dwindle and perish in unbelief."

Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah! hold on here...

Odysseus,
    Most people are not God's children. He has only adopted those who serve him. It is an amazing gift from God that we even have a chance to be adopted into his family. That is a higher position than even angels receive. Christians are sometimes given trials to help them grow, but this is not the same for the lost. God is not doing a non-christian a favor by punishing them with death. That means eternal pain. Very few will actually make it into heaven.

Quote[/b] ] Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes.
    God never killed people merely to provide clothes for his servants. But I must say that Smith was quite a creative guy.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aaron,
    Quote[/b] ]Before we were on this Earth we were with God
    Where did you get that from?
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia