User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

24 22.02%
  • Pagan

4 3.67%
  • Atheist

23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

18 16.51%
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

There is nothing wrong with a lively debate, as long as everyone is repectful. What I was questioning was anyone making a statement without putting any thought behind it. And I am heartened to see some thoughtful replies. Those are very interesting links, wolfpackgurl, thank you. I am fascinated by all the different ways that people can think about just one topic. You just gotta love diversity. I have a hard time defining religion because of that. It seems to me that we all have our own very personal beliefs & that they differ even though some say they are of the same religion. It seems to me that we each have our own religions. Some of us prefer to identify with certain religions for whatever reasons are important to them. And we express our belief systems, again, in the ways in which we find the most value.
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a heated debate usually ends in name calling a lot and I can't stand it when that happens b/c some people don't respect others ideas, so I'm always like whoa whoa lets not become enemies. Myself personally I argue in two ways b/c im going to contradict myself so i address it b4 it even becomes noticed.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

A good debate that doesn't get out of hand is a wonderful thing. It's intellectually stimulating, can expand one's thinking to new places. Then, again, some of us just like to talk...
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a website www. dtl.org (darkness to light ministries). This website has very interesting email exchanges, articles, and much much more. I strongly urge anyone with a Christian belief or interest to visit this website. It will richly reward you with biblical truths and totally refute false doctrines. Please check it out. Gary Zeolla is the mans name on the site. He has translated a version of the New Testament that appears to be the most accurate,word for word translation available. This version is one of the very few translations based on the Majority Text manuscripts. It is a very literal translation known as the Analytical Literal Translation(ALT). I have the first edition. He currently is working on the second edition. It is even online for you to read. Check it out.

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah when an argument explodes instead of a debate it's really annoying b/c then all hope is lost of ever understanding anything.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cautionary note: Debate is fine..."heated" is not.

Everyone should feel free expressing their opinions without being criticized or judged as being right or wrong. This isn't about value judgements. No one should feel intimidated about voting or speaking of their faith even if they are in the minority.

And neither is this the place for proselytizing. (Proselytize: To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.) I'm not saying anyone is doing that, but I don't want to see it here. A discussion is quite different that proselytizing.

Please watch how you word your statements. Preface them with "I think..." or "I believe...". For example: "Yes, I am saying JWs aren't true Christians. I am not saying they are the only people to twist the bible. But besides screwing God's word, they prophesy falsely." That's the kind of statement that can be inflammatory even if its not intended to be because it is a very broad and general statement with the word "they" encompassing ALL Jehovah's Witnesses--not just ones you may have had contact with. Its sort of like saying "I know a few Hispanics who robbed a bank, therefore all Hispanics rob banks." Its called a generalization.

There is an art to debate and that includes choosing your words wisely to be respectful of others right to believe differently than you do.

Keep it friendly and educational... please and thank you.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK, When I refer to the beliefs of JWs I was going by what the Watchtower says, and what I hear when they come to the door.

WPG, I must say that whatever the beliefs of the Latter-Day Saints are, they did edit the Bible to fit their own needs. The way I see it, they are not exactly following Christ, but following their own version of his teachings.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I'm Catholic and have worked in a first responce field for almost 20 yrs off and on.. I've noticed that anyone who claims to be atheist is a follower and just wants to sound PC the "cool thing". But when the chips are really looking bad...It's amazing how they look for God to help them. Is it really that hard to be honest if only to yourself?
    You know, I think that's a rather broad statement to say that Athiests are Atheists because it's the cool thing to do. I think EVERY RELIGION ON THE PLANET has people who follow it just to be included in the group. In fact, many religions FORCE you to follow them, or at the very least threaten you with eternal damnation if you don't. So please, let's not judge everyone in the group by a few individuals.
    It's funny what you say about when a so-called atheist is in dire trouble. Just because we say "please God" doens't mean we beleive it God. It's just an expression, like "jumpin' jahosephats!" When everyone around you uses an expression, you tend to use it, too. Usually without any thought as to the meaning.
    When my chips are looking bad, as you say, I will still be an atheist. I may fervently hope to be wrong, but that won't change my belief.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast