User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

3 2.75%
  • Islamic religions

0 0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

0 0%
  • Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

19 17.43%
  • Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

24 22.02%
  • Pagan

4 3.67%
  • Atheist

23 21.10%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

2 1.83%
  • I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

16 14.68%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

18 16.51%
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey on Member Religious Preferences

I'm from Mississippi but I go to college In New Orleans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey i got those quotes from the watchtower.org i never said i believed them though. I just thought I would post it.
    I love Vin Diesel!! *Growl* Nobody better talk bad about him or else!!!

Squirdword-\"Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.\"
    Mr. Krabs-\"What is today but yesterday's tomorrow.\"
    *~*Spongebob Squarepants*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would submit that the translating of the earliest manuscripts of writings later assembled into the Bible is where differences in opinion can occur. My father reads ancient Greek, and has poured over those texts for decades. He can pinpoint specific areas of either translation error or at least areas where differing translations are entirely possible. Compounding that, interpreting what it says, and means, in English is enough to provide many different opinions on what it says.

I don't want to doubt the sincerity of any posters in this forum, as you are all smart people of good will, but other smart people of good will have come to very different conclusions about the Bible, while still being Christian.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock,
    There are several different translations of the Bible. Most translation teams go by what is consitent with the rest of Christ's teachings, and I am sure they inquire of God as to what wording to use. There are, for example, several translations for the word "love", depending on wether it is romantic, material, etc.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter,

The Book of Mormon covers the time period 600 B.C. to 400 A.D. The first family mentioned is the family of Lehi. He and his family leave Jerusalem in 600 B.C. and with them took records kept on brass plates. These records contained the traditional stories of their ancestors. The creation, Moses, and also even contained Isaiah's Prophecies.

The Book of Mormon is not claimed to be part of the Bible but is simply the record of the people who lived on the American Continents. It is a record of the testimonies of those people. Because of the record on Brass plates which contained the stories of the Creation, Moses, and Isaiah's prophecies you will see many scriptures similar to that in the Bible.

Like you said, they couldn't be quotes from the Bible because the Bible was organized by other men elsewhere LONG after.

Take care!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S.

People seem to be spotlighting Mormons and JW's, why? The only reason I suppose is that they both have diligent missionary programs. But they certainly aren't the only two religions with differing ideas than yours.

Why bring them up? Why is their such a focus?
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Why bring them up? Why is their such a focus?
    Not because they are deemed as "wrong", but because they both claim to Christianity yet seem to disagree with many of the basic tenants thereof. If they admit that they are a fully different religion, fine. However, if they claim the Bible is an authority, then they should at least not contradict it in other writings or teachings. That is why Christians "pick" on them - they don't appreciate others grouping themselves with them if they disagree.

hope that makes sense.

As far as Bible translations, the original versions have stayed nearly identical over many centuries, with changes only in copying errors (generally unimportant words - and, the, etc.). Translations may seem to differ at first glance, but that is because they are translations. Different authors may see the original writer as having meant different things in his usage of words. Generally, however, translators agree on meanings and use only slightly different (modern, traditional, etc.) wordings or phrasings to convey them in the various languages. You would have the same thing happen if two different people tried translating the dictionary, Hegel's works, or anything else. However, since all the translations have been based on the original hebrew/greek/arimaic, the room for error is minimal.

Interesting topic! I'd love to hear more from you Odysseus on where Christianity and the Church of the Latter Day Saints differ, what your views on different subjects are, etc. Same goes for people from other beliefs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Odysseus, I have found many sources saying that they find identical passages in the KJV of the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Here are two:

Here's one

Secular Website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (noah @ Mar. 30 2004,9:21)]
    Quote[/b] ]Why bring them up? Why is their such a focus?
    Not because they are deemed as "wrong", but because they both claim to Christianity yet seem to disagree with many of the basic tenants thereof. If they admit that they are a fully different religion, fine. However, if they claim the Bible is an authority, then they should at least not contradict it in other writings or teachings. That is why Christians "pick" on them - they don't appreciate others grouping themselves with them if they disagree.

hope that makes sense.

Interesting topic! I'd love to hear more from you Odysseus on where Christianity and the Church of the Latter Day Saints differ, what your views on different subjects are, etc. Same goes for people from other beliefs
    Noah, please don't leave out the MOST important part of our Church's name. It is THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS. Not just the Church of Latter-Day Saints. Peter mentioned "the Early Christian church" in a recent post. Our church is the restoration of that EARLY Church which Christ organized through His Apostles with Peter at the head. Our Church is a Church of Christ, only we are NOT the same Church began by Christ because the chain of authority was broken with the death of the Apostles. We are the same but in Latter days thus the title, Latter-Day Saints.

In modern day Christ has returned and restored that SAME Church by calling one as a Prophet also preparing and calling Apostles. The Authority of the Priesthood has been returned to the Earth and thus we are a RESTORED Church.

Refer back to quote WolfPackGurl posted given by our Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley. In that quote you will see that we are Christian. We BELIEVE in Christ.

Thanks for finding it interesting! PM me if you more questions as to why I consider myself 100% Christian. It's only too bad you can't meet me in person and agree that I am no different than you! I am Christian! WOOHOO!
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast