What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survey on Member Religious Preferences

Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

• Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Islamic religions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

• Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

• Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Pagan

• Atheist

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

• I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
Peter:
Before I go on I want to make sure you don't misinterpret my intentions here. If you wake up in the morning and feel like you have a best friend to watch over you and it makes you a better person then I'm all for it and have no desire to try and convince you that you are wrong. My reason for chiming in here is simply that Aaron obviously has his own, similar feelings yet because his opinions about his best friend are different to yours you are now telling him that he is wrong and I feel he is being ganged up on because he is in the minority.

People have believed in gods of some type or other as far back as recorded history and it's a pretty safe bet to assume that each group has always thought that their god was the only REAL one. Even now, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Christians all have a book that is claimed as being "The Book" and each group is sure that theirs is the right one? The one thing you all have in common is that you only have human interpretation to go by when following whichever book you use and it's quite arrogant to tell people that your interpretation is 100% correct and someone else's is wrong.

Let's take the Bible as an example. Imagine that every member of your church was to read it in isolation (of each other), and each person was then interviewed in detail about what each story in the bible meant, what were the nuances of the original authors, what was on their minds, etc. I am positive that no two people would read the same thing into every word and story in the entire book. This is made even more difficult by the fact that you are not even reading it in language it was originally written in!
I speak English, Indonesian and Japanese quite well and I can tell you there are words in all three of those languages that simply don't translate properly from one language into another. You can get close, but not exact and depending on the complexity of the language and also the way people of a particular race think, it can be almost impossible to try and translate some things. Try translating a sarcastic comment into either Japanese or Indonesian. A Japanese friend of mine rang me up last week to ask me what I was wearing to a party and I told him a ballerina's tutu. The phone was silent for about 15 seconds and then he asked, in all seriousness, what colour? It doesn't work; neither of those races appreciates that type of humour.

Now, you have a 2,000 year old book that was written by a couple of different races of people that are quite alien to you, in a time that is quite alien to you, and that has been translated from several different languages, and you are trying to tell someone that their interpretation of some of the words is incorrect? Think about it...

Wolfpackgurl:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] There is more then just that that sums up Christianity that just shows that we are a religion.

Exactly!
It does just show that you are a religion, and that is what it was meant to do. It does not say that is ALL that you do as a religion but those points are what qualifies something as a religion.
Do you believe in a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe (ie God)?
Yes? Then your belief is called a religion.

Do you follow a set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader (ie Jesus)?
Yes? Then your belief is called a religion.

Christianity is a religion.
You can try to deny it all you want however if you said yes to either or both of the above two points then you would be wrong. Religion is simply a term to describe something and not at all derogatory and I think that denial that your belief is a religion is just an attempt at trying to make your religion appear more legitimate.

Mike:

Thanks for your input too
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]  Thanks for your input, but the creation story does not demand a literal interpretation of genesis Chapter 1. With the you can have various styles of writing; poetry, history, letters, prophecy, picture language,the law and even song! That does give the reader an insight how to interpret. For example, how are we to interpret "A third of all the stars fell to earth.." in Revelation?

To answer briefly about the creation story, it is a poem ( it actually rhymes in its original language) to remember the Sabbath. In essence, the truth is God brought it all about. The Hebrew word 'Yom' which is used for day is not neccessarily a 24 hour period, but a period of time. Though God could have spoken the Earth in an old state, that is not his character at all.
  I personally believe in a 15,000,000,000 year old Universe, but I see no basis for conflict between Science and religion, after all Einstein said "Science without Religion is blind, religion without science is lame'. Stephen Hawking was quoted to have said when coming with the Big Bang theory there is a place for God in all this.

Pure speculation and interpretation as per my post above to Peter.
I have read a lot of the Bible (I admit to finding it difficult to wade through some parts of the OT) and read Genesis most recently just a few weeks ago and I didn't notice any side notes saying which parts of the Bible were not meant to be taken literally?
How can you read a book that is claimed to be the word of God and "know" which parts are to be taken literally and which are not if it is not specified? Again, unless you were there and directly involved in the original writing of the book then your understanding will be rudimentary at best.
I too have read Hawking, his references to God were pretty vague and his leaving them out wouldn't have made any difference to the book.

Can I ask, does God actually speak with you?
If this is personal then that's fine but I am intrigued.
If you don't mind then I'd like to know what kind of voice God has, male or female? Old, young? What kinds of things does God say?
I would LOVE to find that there is a God, why would I not?
If God really speaks to you then I will be the first to admit that I am wrong.

If he doesn't then it isn't a relationship any more than you can have a relationship with a chair or your TV.

Cheers, Troy.

Troy,
Christianity as a religion is not a bad thing. What I am saying is that many people just view it as the beleif in God and the rules that go with it. Following Christ does not just mean following all the laws of the Bible and going to church every week. I call Christianity a faith, rather than a religion.

This is not a matter of me being right and others being wrong. I have found everything in the Bible to be true. If I found one flaw, I'd start living for myself right away. God has worked through me in ways that I cannot deny his existence. Many of these things would never have happened by chance. There is no part of the Bible that can be scientifically disproven. Neither can anything contradictory to the Bible be proven. How can someone be right if they beleive two contradictory things?
Peter

Peter

The definition of religion that I posted doesn't go into the specifics of how devoted people must be in their beliefs, or how they implement those beliefs into their lives and in the context of the definition it is irrelevant. The fact that you hold those beliefs is the definition of religion.

If you want flaws in the bible and are willing to objectively read them type “debunking” and "bible" into google and you’ll get pages and pages. Try this one for a starter http://www.cygnus-study.com/

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is no part of the Bible that can be scientifically disproven.  Neither can anything contradictory to the Bible be proven.

I disagree with science not being able to disprove events depicted in the bible however the point is moot, science doesn't need to. The bible does a good enough job contradicting itself. Have a look at this page:

Biblical contradictions

Two people cannot be right if they believe two contradictory things, that isn’t my point. My point is that you need to consider the fact that it may not be you that is right, and I wanted to demonstrate that your basis for being so sure you hold a monopoly on correct interpretations is not actually that solid.

Cheers, Troy.

Hi Troy,
Though I have never heard the audible voice og God, I have heard him speak clearly to me. The primary way how God speaks is through the bible to Christians, but just now then he leaves a strong impression on someone or speks through another Christian in the words of prophecy or word of knowledge (See 1 Corinthians Ch 12 about spritual gifts!) and have had many word spoken over me which was absolutely spot on for me. The speaker had no idea about me or my situation at the time.
For my own experience, I felt God clearly speaking to me about seeking him in 1990 when I had a difficult time spiritually speaking which I will nnever forget.

If you want my study notes on biblical interpretation, I will gladly email them to you.

The difference between Christianity and other religions is with Christianity you God seaking man, and with religions you have man seaking God. All other religions saay 'Thats the way, do that...' and with Jesus he said 'I AM the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the father except through me..'

An astonishing claim!

Troy, may I call you Troy? As Mike has said, the Bible has many writers, with different personalities and styles, with different motives for writing what they wrote. Some of it is historical. Some of it is poetry. Some is wisdom. Some is praise. Some is chewing out people for their apostacy. Looking at the context of the particulat book or letter or writng, one can usually determine what is metaphorical as opposed to literal. Yes, Christians do debate some things - but these are truly peripheral issues to the main message: We are sinners; we deserve spiritual / eternal death; God loves us anyway; God provided the way for our salvation; All we need to do is put our faith / confidence in Jesus.

It is true that if you allowed a bunch of people to read the Bible and then took a poll as to what they got out of it - you would find differences - and some of those differences eventually lead to off the wall / dangerous theology. That is why the Bible itself encourages us to "not forsake the gathering of the brethren." We need each other, not only for worship, but for checks and balances. Many Christians attend Bible studies to learn and grow as well as help prevent bad theology. that doesn't mean that all will or even should see eye to eye in all applications to their lives. That is because we are different in our strengths and weaknesses. For example, one Christian may have been an alcoholic and now has to refrain totally from anything that remotely puts them in a situation of temptation / spiral again. Anther may have never had a problem with alcohol and can have an occasional beer without it becoming a major disaster. Their views / applications to specific things will be different. The Bible allows for differences of application because we are different from each other.

If one is truly desiring to know how to interpret the Bible, correctly, then all one needs to do is ask God for Him guidance / instruction / perspective. You pray. You read. You get help from folks that have more experience. You seek checks and balances from other people. You don't put yourself in a position to be a "lone wolf" and make the Bible say what you want to believe. You sincerely have the Bible shape you - not the other way around.

So, your homework assignment is: 1)Ask God for His theology. 2)You read His Word. 3)You get with Christians to get their input. 4)Repeat steps 1->3, repeatedly.

As for the first example the website you posted it is obviously written by someone who has never studied the Bible. We have all been created by God, so he owns us. He allows us to make our own choices, but he still has complete authority over us. When he instructed the Israelites to go to war over other nations, he was merely using them to carry out his plan. In the ten commandments God commanded us not to kill (or murder). We don't have the authority or ability to judge other humans. As I said, God owns us, so it is up to him to allow us to live or not.
Peter

Mike:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Though I have never heard the audible voice og God, I have heard him speak clearly to me. The primary way how God speaks is through the bible to Christians

Disappointing, but hardly surprising.
But that's enough, I don't wish to try to belittle or detract from whatever it is you feel. If it is God then you are lucky to have such close contact with him/ her.

Jim:

LOL - Please call me Troy! That's my name.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As Mike has said, the Bible has many writers, with different personalities and styles, with different motives for writing what they wrote.

My understanding is that the bible is God's word.
If everyone had different motive's when they wrote their contribution then the person reading it is subject to whatever motives the writer had. As you have already agreed, 10 people can write or describe the same thing and yet see it differently. This leaves massive room for error and only increases my doubts about the veracity of the Bible.

I can agree with the content of much of your post as you seem to be able to understand that there is a possibility of various interpretations of what is in the Bible. That is what I hoped for with my posts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Looking at the context of the particulat book or letter or writng, one can usually determine what is metaphorical as opposed to literal.

Given the factors I have outlined in previous posts I am highly sceptical that you can determine these things as they were intended by the orginal author. Christians firmly believed that the earth was created in 6 days until this was scientifically disproven and then this part of Genesis suddenly became a metaphor? It's a matter of convenience rather than determination.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You sincerely have the Bible shape you - not the other way around.

If you are "determining" what people meant rather than reading it and taking it literally then aren't you shaping the Bible?

Again you allude to "knowing" what is correct in the Bible.
I "know" there is no Christian God.
When it comes to sheer numbers of people, I am in the majority on this earth so who is right?

Peter:
I not someone's tool.
Particularly if that someone is petty and hypocritical ie telling us not to kill and then ordering it on a grand scale themselves.

In Exodus 11:9 God sends ten plagues on Egypt because Pharaoh won't release the Hebrews, but he deliberately hardens Pharaoh's heart so he refuses to release the Hebrews making these plagues necessary in the first place - God admits this is so he can perform 'his wonders'.

How do HONESTLY reconcile, in your mind and in your heart, that your god, who is supposed to be all loving, can do things like this?
I am not asking you for an answer, just think about the ethics of it.
If I have to resort to your kind of reasoning to excuse this kind of hypocracy then I figure my life is better without him.

Cheers, Troy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I not someone's tool.

Troy, I beg to differ. God uses everybody wether in a good way or a bad way to carry out his plan. Sure, you make your own choices. But God often puts circumstances in your life to make certain decisions. Since I started living for God I have seen him use me in good ways.

If Pharaoh had previously treated the Israelites well, the issue would probably never have come up. He didn't, so there was no reason for God not to have hardened his heart.

God may love everybody, but that doesn't mean that he'll ignore sin. God created us, he has complete authority over us, and doesn't need us. He wouldn't be wrong to give us all miserable lives and use us for his own entertainment. Yet he has done so much for us, and even gave us the possibility to live with him eternally. What do we do? We ignore his presence, and in some cases bow down to other "gods".

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am not asking you for an answer, just think about the ethics of it.

God doesn't work by ethics. Ethics are what man has put in place of morals. Imagine you made a bunch of lego people. You give them a set of rules to follow for their own safety. Instead they ignore you, and break all the rules. They think they know what is right and what is wrong, and go by that. The go and make their own legos, which they hold in greater respect than you. You would be completely right to rip every single lego apart.

Every time God commanded the Israelites to go attack another nation, he provided a good reason. He was fully justified to do so.

Peter

Okay now what are we debating about? I'm lost. I know it's not the Trinity is back to what Christianity is or what? I wanna put my imput but I can't unless I understand what is going on.

Hi Troy,
Once again, I invite you to have a copy of my study notes which can answer 95% of your remarks, and again no comment on my own experiences with God.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Given the factors I have outlined in previous posts I am highly sceptical that you can determine these things as they were intended by the orginal author. Christians firmly believed that the earth was created in 6 days until this was scientifically disproven and then this part of Genesis suddenly became a metaphor? It's a matter of convenience rather than determination.

I have a detailed answer for you, are you interested in an answer?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Again you allude to "knowing" what is correct in the Bible.
When it comes to sheer numbers of people, I am in the majority on this earth so who is right?
So you "know" there is no Christian God? OK then we could also leave it like that and beg to differ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fatboy @ April 18 2004,8:10)]Given the factors I have outlined in previous posts I am highly sceptical that you can determine these things as they were intended by the orginal author. Christians firmly believed that the earth was created in 6 days until this was scientifically disproven and then this part of Genesis suddenly became a metaphor? It's a matter of convenience rather than determination.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You sincerely have the Bible shape you - not the other way around.

If you are "determining" what people meant rather than reading it and taking it literally then aren't you shaping the Bible?

Again you allude to "knowing" what is correct in the Bible.

Peter:
I not someone's tool.
Particularly if that someone is petty and hypocritical ie telling us not to kill and then ordering it on a grand scale themselves.

In Exodus 11:9 God sends ten plagues on Egypt because Pharaoh won't release the Hebrews, but he deliberately hardens Pharaoh's heart so he refuses to release the Hebrews making these plagues necessary in the first place - God admits this is so he can perform 'his wonders'.

How do HONESTLY reconcile, in your mind and in your heart, that your god, who is supposed to be all loving, can do things like this?
I am not asking you for an answer, just think about the ethics of it.
If I have to resort to your kind of reasoning to excuse this kind of hypocracy then I figure my life is better without him.

Cheers, Troy.
Im many ways I feel you are belittling my faith but I will say this much to begin in the Old testament people did believe that God should be feared. God does love everyone but he does punish those that disobey him. In the new Testament God is loving and caring because that's what Christians believe and that is what is recorded in the Bible. The point is most demoninations believe the Bible should be taken literally, but the Roman Catholic Church says that these are stories and lessons on to learn what God wants us to do. I mean you can't prove these things actually happened and it is very hard to disprove them also. The Bible was written over 2000 yrs. ago it would be very hard to apply everything literally word for word to what is going on today. What do you actually interpret literally in your life? You always anaylize things to figure out how can I apply this in my daily life. Since you choose not to believe in God then I don't think you would understand what I am trying to say since you have already made up your mind and have set your standards to that.

WPG, many of the stories have been proven, and we have a geneology from Abraham to Jesus. I am pretty sure that most of the stories of the Old Testament are accurate.
Peter

It seems it is about time that I chime in here.  

I have appreciated Troy's opinion on here, because his DOES represent a huge majority of the world.  As an LDS Missionary for my Church, most people I met shared Troy's opinion and I had a great time trying to share with them what my feeling's are.  Whether or not he agrees with me, I doubt that that constitute's "belittling of [one's] religion."  I think we must understand that Troy's participation here is one of respect.  
smile.gif
 He does respect all of our religions.  He just doesn't follow one of his own.   

Now about God "killing" people.  
smile.gif

First let's look at this and suppose God has been proven to exist.  Let's just presume for the moment that we all know God.  Now:

Before we were on this Earth we were with God.  After this life we can return to be with God.  Thus, we must assume that life is more of a CIRCLE than a linear point A to point B philosophy.  Point is, "death" on Earth is not the end.

Second, we must compare the world HERE to the "world" with God.  Most would assume that there is no crime, evil, hatred, sickness, or pain.  Sounds like a pretty nice place to live, compared to what you and I are experiencing now.  

Suppose, God had a plan for someone or even a whole group.  And that there were people making the wrong choices who stood in their way.  These people making wrong choices are STILL God's children as you and I are.  He loves them as much as He loves us.  Does He like watching them make mistakes?  No!  Does He want them to end up in "####" away from Him?  No!  Like most Fathers on earth, He loves ALL His children the Good and the Bad.    

When God "punishes" those wicked people with "death" as some here have called it.  Don't you think that it really isn't a punishment?  To take someone from this world into the next to be with Him is HARDLY a CRUEL punishment.  It actually shows LOVE compared to anger and chastisement!  
biggrin.gif
He is simply getting them out of the way of His plan on the Earth, and dealing with them personally.  A loving Father teaches.

In conclusion, if life has no end or beginning then death is no punishment or terrible thing!  Death is merely the passing on from THIS world.  Even Christ said that ALL would be resurrected, the good and the bad.  So, tell me, where is the evil thing in God taking someone's life on this earth?  Especially, when it does no harm to the person?  

Now, this is why I LOVE the Book of Mormon.  I use it along side the Bible, to help me clarify things like what you guys have been talking about.  Why if God is loving, does He kill people?  Frankly, God has a very good reason to let people die whenever He commands it.  He needs a nation to survive in belief in Him, more than He needs some of His children killing all those who believe in Him.  Here, in the Book of Mormon is a scripture that talks about a young man named Nephi.  He was commanded by his father Lehi, who was commanded by God, to go and retrieve the "brass plates."  Those plates contained all of thier geneology, and most of the Old Testament from 600 B.C. to the early day's of Adam and Eve.  This was VERY important for the family of Lehi to have, because they NEEDED to teach their Children who would in turn teach THEIR children about God and His plan as it has been recorded in the plates of brass.  
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I, Nephi, crept into the city and went forth towards the house of Laban.
6  And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.
7  Nevertheless I went forth, and as I came near unto the house of Laban I beheld a man, and he had fallen to the earth before me, for he was drunken with wine.
8  And when I came to him I found that it was Laban.
9  And I beheld his sword, and I drew it forth from the sheath thereof; and the hilt thereof was of pure gold, and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, and I saw that the blade thereof was of the most precious steel.
10  And it came to pass that I was constrained by the Spirit that I should kill Laban; but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I shed the blood of man. And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him.
11  And the Spirit said unto me again: Behold the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands. Yea, and I also knew that he had sought to take away mine own life; yea, and he would not hearken unto the commandments of the Lord; and he also had taken away our property.
12  And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me again: Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands;
13  Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes.  It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 4:5 - 13)

"It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief."  

The family of Lehi was leaving Jerusalem and with them had NO record of God's Law as it was contained in the Law of Moses.  Nephi, KNEW that he needed to get those plates because his family needed to know the law.  He said later on in the chapter speaking of his family and mostly his future descendents:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]15  Yea, and I also thought that they could not keep the commandments of the Lord according to the law of Moses, save they should have the law.
16  And I also knew that the law was engraven upon the plates of brass.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 4:15 - 16)
The plates of brass were NOT the only record of the Law of Moses, but was one of the many records kept.  It was good that the family of Lehi obtained a copy of the Law of Moses, so that they could live according to it which is God's law.  

As the story continues, Nephi did slay Laban who was laying asleep in a drunken stupor, and Nephi used his clothes to obtain the brass plates under the subterfuge that he was "Laban."  It is a great story, and rather interesting if you were ever to read it.

At any rate, there is my opinion on why God is still a loving Father and gracious God, even though in that past He has had to strike down some wicked children of His, so that a 'whole nation would not have to dwindle and perish in unbelief."

biggrin.gif

Woah! hold on here...

Odysseus,
Most people are not God's children. He has only adopted those who serve him. It is an amazing gift from God that we even have a chance to be adopted into his family. That is a higher position than even angels receive. Christians are sometimes given trials to help them grow, but this is not the same for the lost. God is not doing a non-christian a favor by punishing them with death. That means eternal pain. Very few will actually make it into heaven.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes.

God never killed people merely to provide clothes for his servants. But I must say that Smith was quite a creative guy.

Peter

Hi Aaron,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Before we were on this Earth we were with God

Where did you get that from?

Good question Mike; I missed that...
rock.gif

Peter

Haha...
smile.gif

Just when I thought we could all be on the same side here. Sigh....
smile.gif

I have an answer for both of you, but I don't want to deter from the statement I just made. It took me some time to describe what I wrote, so indulge me a few more hours and I will answer your questions tonight when I am at work.

I just don't have more than a couple minutes right now, and plus I don't want to push what I wrote earlier into the background. Be patient, and you will both get full replies in a couple hours.
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Hi Aaron,
I am reading a book about the differences between the Mormon faith and mainstream Christianity, to quote one of your theologians, Orson Hyde"remember that God, our heavenly Father was perhaps once a child, and mortal like we ourselves, and rose up step by step in the scale of progress, in the school of advancement; has moved forward and overcome, until he has arrived at the point where He now is.

Can you explain?

As regards to life, death, the bible is clear. Man is set to die once then face judgement. I personally belive that what happens to someone 'who does not make it' so to speak will suffer anhilation rather than infinite torture as that is not God's style. Jesus did say many from the East to the west will be in the Kingdom of heaven, but he did also say few will find the way into the Kingdom

Hi Troy - When Christians study the Bible, alone or in a group, it is normal and typical for them to pray for God's guidance. Being human, our motives will not be 100% pure, but we DO try. That's where the "checks & balances" come in. There may be different interpretations going on, but more likely, different applications. We are not clones of one another. We don't have to see eye to eye with one another on everything. It isn't required. We DO need to love God and love one another. If we make that our goal, the importance attached to the peripheral issues, like eschatology, manifestational gifts of the Spirit, baptismal approaches, etc... melt away as REALLY unimportant. Do we make mistakes? YES! Do we fail? YES! That's reality - not an excuse. Do we have our own respective biases coming into Christianity or prayer or Bible study? YES! Do we try to overcome our biases and mistakes? YES! I cannot prove to you or anyone the existence of God or that the basic tenets of Christianity are the truth. I cannot prove that a Christian's approach or integrity or interpretation of the Bible will be correct. I DO have confidence in the Bible I DO have confidence that God will show me and others the truth when we are honestly seeking truth and not making the Bible say what we want it to say. Looking at Scripture, all of it, the big picture, I have strong confidence of its truth in general. I have strong confidence in specific doctrines about the Trinity, Godhead, deity of Jesus, etc...

When you say that the majority of people believe as you - I agree. However, it doesn't make the majority correct or wise. Jesus said, very specifically, that "broad is the gate that leads to destruction." Narrow is the gate for salvation and few find it. The majority of the populace WILL perish. Not my words - God's words. Waht Peter said (not the Apostle) is true about God's creation choosing to turn away from Him - and thus deserving of physical and spiritual / eternal death. You've heard the verses before: "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." "For the wages of sin is death." "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved." These are God's words and God's rules.

With regard to your statement about all Christians believing in the 6 day creation theory, that statement isn't necessarily true. Not every Christian believes that there were 6 literal consecutive 24 hour periods. I can name a few from the Forums who do not share that particular interpretation. Who cares? I can guarantee that all of the Christians agree that God is the creator - not random chance. How He di things and how long He took to accomplish them isn't the issue. The issue is that God is the author.

Before I became a Christian I was an atheist. I said exactly what you have said - and I wanted proof to the contrary. I never got the proof. I have nothing that no one hasn't said or thought before. I DO have a lot of evidence that points to the truth that I have faith in. I have confidence that God DOES exist. I have confidence that of the aforementioned "4 spiritual laws." I have confidence that when I physically die, my spirit will live eternally. Can I prove it to another? No! I can show another the verses that give me that confidence. The rest is a choice to believe or to not believe.

BTW, Aaron, it seems to me that your quote that all would be resurrected is an incomplete statement. Daniel 12:2 completes the statement: Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlating life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

Back