What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sand for plants

Okay I heard Silica sand is good for plants, but I can't find any!! What other types of sand could I use for my plants!!

You can use any kind as long as it has been washed and treated, ie from the store. Although builders sand is supposed to be larger grains, it just depends on the purpose you are usingit for andwhat else it will be mixed with. I just use playgound sand. Never use sand thats just been collected from somewhere it will usually have many harmful (to your plant) things in it.

Joe
smile.gif

ok. well i could use playground sand it's pretty good and i could wash it off really good

i'd have to say that the biggest thing to do is, after you buy your sand, put a little bit od if into a container, then add some vinegar to it. if it "reacts" and starts bubbling a bit, do not use it!
some sands have too many minerals or something in them, and are unsuitable to cp's.

i'm sure someone else will chime in with a few more tips or whatnot.

peace,
technoracer

Sandblasting sand from building contracters and pool filter sand are the two that the forum folk find to be the most useful. Play sand gets mixed reviews. Do as suggested with the vinegar as well as wash and rinse all sand and soil. not only does that remove ompurities it should cut down on other green things that grow alongside the cp's, competing with them. Pool & patio places should have pool filter sand and the only place I could find for the other is through Sears.

Jim's right, Tiah. Another bagged sand you can use is Home Depots Basalite Brand All Purpose Sand. Never had problems with it either, and it is cheap. (Hope your search for Neps was fruitful!)

There have been many topics on sand including recent ones, so if you do a search for "sand" you'll get lots of information.
smile.gif

thanx i did do research on sand but most of the time it didn't tell me what type of sand they used or it just said silica sand.

Any silica sand? not necessarily. Grade 20 is the best. Any higher, and its dangerous, since you can breathe it in, and also, it dries like concrete once wettened and mixed with peat. Anything lower than 20 is near the size of gravel, and anything under 10 basicly IS gravel.

Back