What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hello all  
smile.gif

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Sarracenia collection project IS rolling.  I know that it might appear that nothing is going on...but I assure you it is.

When this project first was introduced there was a lot of support for it...many people were excited and wanted to help.  Now we have an official name (North American Sarracenia Conservancy) and the nitty-gritty grunt work has begun.  And its not really exciting work in the day-to-day.  But just because the work isn't "newsworthy" doesn't mean this is flagging.

I'd like to encourage everyone who offered support for this not to forget about it.  There are people working on various projects but its not the kinda thing where there needs to be a post every day on every little detail.  But don't take that to mean this has faded away!  We are taking the baby steps now...and in time we will be RUNNING!

There are two pinned topics in the NASC forum...one for stating who is working on what project and another for gathering names of people who wish to participate and what skills are offered.  You may not be given a project right away.  This is an ONGOING project for many years to come so its not all going to be happening right NOW.  But we still need to know who is willing to work in various capacities.

In particular...we need OFFICERS for various positions.  Please check the posting on that and see if you can help out in a position.  We need much more than just eager plant growers.

Casper, our acting president, is hard at work on paperwork for getting the legal status of non-profit and other things.  He is working the business end *every day*.  We need money for some of this stuff which hopefully we'll have after the auction.

Other people are working on drawing up lists of plants and  locations, tagging systems, web site, business plans and other details.

I am working on the auction.  Phil and Patrick have been hard at work with the new server and auction software which should be available for me to preview in the next day or two.  Then advertising will start and dates set for the auction.

For all of you who are interested in seeing this project yield results in the years to come...do not lose sight of this because its not "in your face" on a daily basis.  Keep an eye on the  NASC forum...post what you are doing if you have an assignment...post if you want to help and let us know you are willing.  Ask questions whenever you want.  Have patience too...we all have daily lives to attend to as well.  Casper was ill for a while but is feeling better so give him a pat on the back for perserving through a lot of stress both personal and professional.  He's spending MANY hours on this as well as other people.  Bugweed is working too!

Keep your eye on the prize!  Keep the enthusiasm for this project or it will fail.  We need this project...the plants need this project.  You can all make a difference in whether your children and their children will ever see sarracenia growing in the wild or even in private collections.  How many people get an opportunity to truly make a difference in preventing extinction?  You have a chance to do that!

My thanks to Casper, Bugweed, Phil, Patrick, Noah, Snowy, Barry Rice, Carl Mazur and many others who are working hard on this both in the forefront and behind the scenes...and to all who have offer help.

THANK YOU ALL!   Ooops...err...THANK Y'ALL (southern version!)  
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Over and out!
Suzanne/PAK

wow yeah Bugweed asked me to join! I was like yeah sure!!

... only 14 Vewis since this post was created!?!?! Thats sad, people!

UM ya glad to see that this thing is still going

ahahah they dont look here so they cant heaaaarrrrrr uuuussssssssss

how

i dunno. i mean people need to look here to be informed. send pm's to look here.

hey pak, you're on grden web, aren't you?
did you / anyone post there about the project?

techno...

Hey Brian

Yes I am a member there still but I haven't posted anything yet. I'm not sure what the rules are for that kind of thing there. Spike is such a...a...pain. I would like something to be posted, but seeing as how I got in trouble for mentioning the Meadowview speaker event on the Virginia Gardening Forum...who knows what the rules are.
rock.gif

Feel free to post if you'd like mention it.
smile.gif
Maybe mention the auction?

Thanks for the reminder.
smile.gif

Back