What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tamlin's in the News

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I founds this article and I thought everybody here would love to read it.

http://www.pall-times.com/

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] APRIL 'FOOLS' TAKE PLUNGE INTO LAKE ONTARIO

By CARRIE GAYNE, Staff Writer
OSWEGO - With her Rudy's hat on her head wearing a black full-length jacket, black stockings and a black one-piece bathing suit, Carol Livesey of Oswego cautiously stepped out on the rocky shore of Lake Ontario near Rudy's, her business.

She stopped, looked back and yelled to the group of 25 gathered behind her, "Do you realize there's snow down here?"

Although there were remnants of winter on the shores of the lake, it did not deter a group of "fools" from entering the chilly waters Thursday.

A tradition for the past eight years on April 1, those brave, or foolish, enough to try, wade in the waters of Lake Ontario - some only to their waist for several seconds while others choose to soak for several minutes.

The idea sprung from the minds of Tom Pullen, Jim Dauphin, Mac Beneway and their friends.

"It's a day to throw caution to the wind and be foolish," Pullen said while donning maroon stockings, a floral-print woman's bathing suit, a bright pink hat and a duck flotation device around his waist.

"This year was definitely the waviest," Pullen said, warming up after swimming in the choppy waters of Lake Ontario.

After the screams and squeals of those whose bare flesh met with the icy waters of the lake, they warmed up in Rudy's with hot chocolate.

Brittany Holliday, 16, and Bronwin Jones, 16, both of Oswego, took part in the April Fool's Day tradition for the first time this year.

They said they jumped in the lake because their friend did and they wanted to be there to support him. While they stayed in the water for a short time, their friend, Eric Germain, 17, stayed in for several minutes.

Local Sundew God William "Tamlin" Dawnstar Brought some of his beloved plants for a chilly dip into Lake Huron. When asked why he would bring such interesting plants into the lake, he responded "These plants are my love and I take them everywhere I go. What's wrong with that?" Soon after the swim Dawnstar was busy Giving everyone that braved the cold water a free plant.

Germain, a member of Oswego High School's swim team, said it was his seventh time in Lake Ontario during cold weather. He said he, along with the rest of the high school swim team, jumped into the lake on New Year's Eve.

Germain's estimate on the water temperature - a little bit below 30, he said, wrapping himself in a towel.

Another subject only identified as Matt was seen walking away crying in disgust, repeating over and over "Why does he always get all the attention?"

Doug Appleman was deemed the most foolish for the day by Gracia Monroe, a resident of the Ladies Home of Oswego. A member of the Ladies Home traditionally has the honors of naming the most foolish person who jumps into the lake.

Next April 1, the same people who participated will most likely be foolish again and jump into the cold water.

"It's a good way to break into spring," Pullen said.

By the way if you click on the link theres a pic. Tamlins the one with the white baseball cap.

Cool! William, I took a plunge into the cold water here in california, do i get a sundew?
biggrin.gif

Was that also a reference to "Sundew Matt?"

Ozzy,
its Lake Ontario, not Huron!
wink.gif
smile.gif

cool story!
I would like to try that sometime..
Scot

you would never get me intnto water that cold. Ya, iv swam in 40 degree water. But 30 degrees? nope.

William is a very tough man...he's survived decades braving subzero temps to shovel snow for hours on end so his metabolism has adjusted to accommodate extreme temperatures.

Ever heard the phrase "The Ice Man Cometh"? That was coined about William. When his winter beard freezes outside in the snow, he looks like an ice man so thus he was dubbed.

So what's a little chilly water to him? Its like a dip in the hot springs.

That feat was so minor in comparison to some of his icy adventures, he probably doesn't even recall doing it...

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 02 2004,8:13)]Was that also a reference to "Sundew Matt?"
You would never be able to get them together
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

That's great!  I forgot that they did that!  I'll have to try to remember to be there next year.  (Actually, that is Doug (waiter at Rudy's) in the white cap with his back to the camera.  William is much skinnier  
laugh.gif
  but he's a very good swimmer, too)  The woman in black, Carol, is the owner of our beloved Rudy's - best fried fish in the world!  
The air temp. yesterday was around 40 here.  
It's a riot I have to read about it in our international forum - I don't read the local paper (rather a bore)!
Now, if you could just keep our Great Lakes straight, your story would be much more believable, Ozzy.    
tounge.gif
  Good job, though!  
laugh.gif

OK, we'll all meet in Oswego next April 1st, sundews are on William!    
biggrin.gif

DANG! Okay! Okay! I'll be there next April 1st. But Lavenders buyin' the chocolate, And for freezing half to death, I want a dozen sundews.

This is a base lie, an outright fabrication, a perversion of decent truth. The only place I have encountered such distorted dedicated propaganda was on the CP Listserve. I was not at Rudy's for this little swim. Neither was any other Drosera Godking named "Matt". As everyone surely knows, I am the only Godking of this genus, and I would simply have sent forth my agents here at Terrorforums to obliterate any would be pretenders to my crown. Doncha forget it.

I am not an "iceman". That was a typo. I am a "niceman" is what I think was meant to be said.

As to Spec's comment about Sundew Matt and I not ever getting together, I certainly am willing, rather. I am all for burying the axe.

Ozzy this is what I get for teaching you the higher ideals! Honesty is a fantastic quality of Human Nature: once you can fake honesty, you got it made: Son, I'm proud of you! This was a big improvement over the bog graveyard washout.

And WHY is moderator still attached to my name if I can't get in the Mod Forum and I am not bluelettered, hmmmm?

It's in your settings under "member title" I believe.
smile.gif

Nice to see you again!

Pat

All bow in the presents of the Drosera King!!!!!!

Ozzy,

Thats "presence", not "presents".........errr, nevermind. Maybe you have it right afterall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you would never get me intnto water that cold. Ya, iv swam in 40 degree water. But 30 degrees? nope.

30 degrees? You'd bounce (water is ice at 32, lol). Could easily be 34 or 35 degrees, though, which I would still avoid like the plague.

William, welcome back!!! It's great to see you again.
smile.gif

Niceman typo indeed....Boy, that made me laugh so hard the wife came tearing into the room, lol.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ April 03 2004,11:21)]Ozzy,

Thats "presence", not "presents".........errr, nevermind.  Maybe you have it right afterall.
Yeah you're right. I guess spell check can't help ignorance.

tounge.gif

Nice to see you again William!
smile.gif

Jan

Nice to be back, and thanks for the kind thoughts and the WARNING SQUARE. I think the Mods here are abusing their powers, some things never change I guess.

I don't know how often I will be online: I have a particular allergy to public presence these days, but I plan on adding my bit here and there in a reclusive sort of way.

Someone has to ride herd on these CP Terrorists, and I have had so many requests to come and post, so I am giving it a try now that winter has slid its hooks out of my hide, but like swimming at Rudy's, you gotta dip into the lake slow at first.

See you all soon!

Back