What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonah has...

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Today, Friday, April 9th, 2004 at 5:40 p.m., in my loving presence, the
light of Jonah's spirit was released from his body.  He has crossed the
rainbow...

Jonah and I celebrated his 12th and last birthday this past Wednesday.  He was
born April 7, 1992.  One of a litter of four male wire-haired fox
terrier pups, Jonah was a fat, tumbly puppy nearly all white with
a half-brown face and a big black dot at the base of his tail.  Born of daddy J.D. Stealing the Thunder (Boomer) and mamma Wiskers
(Daisy), this ball of fluffy ringlets became...Jonah Thunderwhiskers.

His temperament proved to be sweet, loving, spunky and bright.  But true to his
breed--when his mettle was tested, he was fearsome and tenacious--a dog
to be to be reckoned with!  Jonah lived each day with unbridled
enthusiasm and endless curiosity (curiosity hath no peer like a fox
terrier!).  He HAD to be "where the action is"--he wanted to see out
windows, climb on tables and counters, jump on every bed, stick his head into bags, poke things with his paw and push things with his
nose.  His life motto: "CHECK IT OUT!"  He was my constant shadow--no matter
where I was or what I was doing, he was there too.

Jonah had a light in his eye and joie d' vivre that could not be
ignored.  His tail was electric...wagging so fast it was only a blur.
He was single-minded in focus and could not be distracted from a "mission."  He loved to jump, to run, to climb, to chase and to fetch.  He'd squeak his toys 'til you HAD to play with him or risk losing your mind.  He was a warm bump in the bed at night (but DON'T touch him with your foot or you'd likely lose it!).  On hot summer days he'd take a dip in his pool, "swimming" in circles and snorkeling--blowing bubbles in the water with his nose.

Jonah was loved by all who met him...friends and strangers alike.  And in turn, he loved everybody he came in contact with.  He never minded going to the vet; he got
scratches, pats and treats as he wiggled and grinned for the assistants.  He loved to go
see "the girls" at The Doghouse where he would be greeted with a chorus
of "Jonaaaaaaahhh!!!" whereupon he'd dissolve in ridiculous gyrations of
joy.  Jonah was a happy little fella.  He loved his Teddy Grahams.  He loved his "momma."  He even had his "15 minutes of fame" when he was chosen out of thousands to be an "AOL Pet of the Day" with his picture posted on the AOL Pets Page for 24 hours.

Jonah was a very funny dog.  He made me laugh every day even in the saddest moments.  Sometimes all it would take was a long, piercing gaze with his
laser eyes and pricked ears...and I'd just have to laugh.  He made people laugh everywhere he went as he grinned, squirmed and performed his tricks for any audience.

But finally, age caught up to him.  Arthritis affected Jonah's hind legs
and he slowly lost control of them.  Still he persevered, going anywhere he wanted to go no matter how hard he struggled to get there.  That's the terrier heart; they never quit.  I knew I'd have to take the batteries out of my "energizer bunny"
because he'd never give up trying.  And so today...this grievous moment has come; my beloved dog is now on a new journey.  

My heartfelt thanks go the The Fan Veterinary Clinic and the veterinarians and
assistants who took care of Jonah over his 12 happy, wiggly years.  And many
thanks to all the girls at The Doghouse who took a scruffy looking
mongrel in and gave me back a very handsome fella who actually looked
like a fox terrier instead of a wooly sheep.  And to all my family and friends who
embraced Jonah and put up with his boundless enthusiasm--my love and thanks.

Jonah was a gift and a joy held not nearly long enough.  He lived his
life with pluck and fire, humor and spirit, boldness and heart.  Jonah
had a good life and may he now have a good journey to where he is
unfettered of collar, leash and fence...free of unwilling legs to once again fly like the wind through Elysian fields filled with Teddy Grahams, chasing squeaky velveteen rabbits.

Jonah...my beloved wiggly boy...Godspeed on your new journey.

goodbyejonahB.jpg

PAK, you have my deepest sympathies. As a dog owner and lover, I know they are truly family members, and losing them is, well, indescribable. I lost a greyhound a couple years ago to bone cancer, and it stands as the hardest moment of my life so far.

Jonah was striking to me, and I only knew him from your avatar picture. Even though it was just a few pixels, his character and personality leapt off the page. For some reason, I couldn't take my eyes off that avatar. It's obvious he was well loved and had an ideal life. You should be proud.

Capslock

Sorry to hear about your dog PAK.
sad.gif
 From the way you wrote about him I could tell that you really loved him.  At least you'll always have your great memories of him.

-buckeye

My deepest sympathies, PAK. I have had dogs that I just loved. My faviorite disappeared, so i do not know if she is dead or alive, I and still miss her. I am so sorry.

Truely sorry to here of your loss PAK. Jonah sounds like a truely wonderful friend who will be deeply missed by all who knew him.

Steve Allinger
sad.gif

That's terrible, PAK! I'm so sorry for your loss! If there is anything we can do to ease the pain, let us know.

SF
sad.gif

sad.gif
Sorry to hear of your loss... you have my deepest condolences.
-Spec
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Suzanne -

I was thinking about you all day, wondering.  My sincerest condolences.

Bruce

I'm so sorry to hear that! There's no replacement for a beloved pet. My condolences.
sad.gif

The greatest gift you can give to a beloved pet is to set them free of suffering and pain, but it is so hard.

I never met the little guy, heck I haven't even met you, but I mourn with you.  I have hot eyes too.

In time, when the tears stop enough for you to see, I think you will find Jonah looking at you out of a new set of eyes, reborn (as he was) in the wonderful strength of your love.

Blessed Be, Suzanne and my highest compliments and praise for a job well done.  I am at your service when you are ready to talk.

To Suzanne From Jonah

Remember when I first came to your place
Small and uncertain to learn the grace
Of your caring, and the pleasure of your hand
As you shaped me by your love
and understand
That had I words, or my tongue could tell
I would thank you for loving me so well

I lived long and happy in your smile
Cherished and protected, and all the while
You were less a Mistress and more a friend
Between such as us there can be no end

I loved and protected you too, with all my might
It was my growl that drove back the night!
I barked my joy when you came home
For you, my stay here was a time too brief
So now you measure it with grief
But for me, Joy was a lifetime long!

When I was young I ran with you
In the summer days and you always knew
The wheel would turn to bear me away
And now it comes that fated day
Set aside your tears enough to see
the greatest gift ever you gave to me
Was that you loved me enough to set me free

I'm sorry. I've been where you are now. It's truly one of the worst feeling and loneliest place to be.

Suzanne, I'm sorry about the choice that you've been faced to make.  But I commend you for having the strength to make it.  Many people are selfish and not able to able to let their pets (or human family) go with dignity and make them fight a uphill battle.  I really am not one for words, but I do recall a poem that I came across when our son passed, and I feel it applies here also:

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sun on ripened grain.
I am the soothing, gentle rain.
When you awake in morning hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there.
I did not die.
- Anonymous

...Now I'm crying again. (Don't tell any of the other girls around here or my wife.  ;-)  )
 I feel for you   (((Suzanne)))

Sorry about your loss.
At the same time, there is a relieving and peaceful feeling just knowing that Jonah had a happy life with such a loving human to take care of him.
Still, I know it is difficult and wish you the best.

theresa

Sincerest condolences Suzanne.

Cheers,
Sean

So sorry to hear that. I think my fatgirl shephard, Daisy is on her way as well.

Take care
Joe

Oh, Suzanne. I'm so sorry. What a terrible thing, to lose a friend. Try to be thankfull for the time you did have with him.

Aww, so sorry to hear of Jonah's passing
sad.gif
But hey, he had a great life and nothing can change that.

I'm sorry for you. Jesus bless you.

I have a dog too...I know how you feel...I don't want to think about it
Jonah's not gone yet, Suzane...he is still there in your heart...

*God bless Jonah*
Look up - Jonah's passing!

Let me get another tissue box...

Jason

Back