What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greensand

Is greensand good for Cp's. I know it's good for all other plants but what about Cp's.

I think the mineral components in this would be detrimental long term for most CP. I am always interested in other peoples experiemnts regarding fertilization, but I advise a cautious approach.

It has iron oxide & magnesia (magnesium?), which are metals in salts. Not good for CP's.

ooh ok. i can't get silica sand newhere, but i think i will use play sand. the savage garden says its a good subsitute.

Play sand varies from place to place, dealer to dealer. You might try asking at swimming pool supply companies for pool filter sand which is a coarse grade of silica sand. Also construction companies may offer silica sand (which is uniformly white) used for sandblasting in a finer grade. I hope this helps.

Meijers, if your area has it, is currently carrying pool filter sand. It looks nice and clear. I was going to get it, but I don't think they were on sale yet, as the garden section wasn't done unpacking and such. I'll be heading to Meijers tommorow to buy some.
biggrin.gif

we don't have one. i'll keep looking online for a store that sells it.

The best place to get it at a swimming pool store (like Tamlin said). The sand from these store are normally better quality.
Try hardware or contractors stores. If you buy the sand from either of these you need to make sure you wash it before using it. I don't think you'll have very much luck buying it online. The shipping will make it very expensive due to it's weight.

Today at Wal-mart I just saw they had Play Sand (40 lb bag for under $2) - it says that it is washed, tested, bla, bla, bla...

I don't know if their products are uniformly the same throughout the country because it looks like the sand was bagged here in Florida.

Has anybody tried this?

John

well most play sand has silica in it. i will try there. but i went to a website and saw that they had the cp soil w/ silica and peat and so now im soo happy b/c i can just buy that.

Back