What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat or peat mix

HI All

I have read in many books the best mixes of soil for most carnivorous Plants. Some say that Peat is the best( from canada )
Others say add 50% sand to 50% peat. In The savage Garden They say The 50% Mix and in Carnivorous Plants of the United States and canada Donald says he has very little problem with Pure peat. There are additives to add to the soil , and i guesss im asking everyone what they use Because Right now Im useing stright Peat and Im a little worried about rotting the plants. due to drainage.

Also Nep soil ? any Help with what to use?

Thanks

Jim

I use 50/50 peat/sand for most of my plants, and I use Canadian peat.

I have agree with Tamlin, mix of 50/50 is good for most CPs, with Tuberous and Pygmy sundews alot of them prefer much more sandy mix of up 70% sand.
With Nepenthes alot of members of the APCS are using pure sphagnum moss in hanging self watering pot. They R/O water or rainwater. I must say some of the plants brought into the meeting have been stunning using self watering pots. If you don't want to use a self watering pot a mix of 1 part orchid bark (about medium grade), 1 part broken up polystryne box, 1 part sphagnum moss, and 1 part peat. Another mix is equal part peat, sand and sphagnum moss. I find as long a Neps other needs are meet(such light, temp range) it not really fussy, as a rule, to it potting as long it free draining, acidic, and no normal garden soils.

pure LFS can get pretty costly when you have a big colection and lots of big pots...

I use a mix of equal parts peat\perlite with my Vfts, With my neps I use an mix of 2 parts peat 1 part perlite and 1 part crumbled pine bark.

Khoas,

Check out my article in one of the upcoming ACPS Journals on what is virtually a self watering system using deep pots and live Sphagnum. I use it with D. graminifolia, D. villosa, D. regia and D. "coccicaulis" with great results. This method needs to be experimented with, so far I find that my best and largest plants have been grown using this method.

The problem with pure peat is that it compacts, remains always sodden while in the tray, and drains slowly.

I am one of the pure peat users. I have experienced no problems with straight peat at all. And save money on other additives. I used to be a 50/50 man, but after having no sand, and having plants that needed immediate attention, I used the straight peat. No problems at all. I do keep the container fairly full of water so the high water level keeps the peat very loose, and the plants rhizome expansion is much easier due to little resistance. In spite of heavy winds or driving rain, I have yet to lose a plant. Soil bases are a matter of personal taste, and your own confidence in using that particular mix. Whatever works best for you, and helps your confidence in growing these plants, go for it!!

Has anyone tried a layering effect, whereby the top layer is LFS or Canadian peat, followed by sphagnum peat, followed by sand? Of course pigmy dews probably like significantly more sand. It seems most people make a homogeneous media, but in nature the soils change from one type to another.

Back