What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help-fast

Game and parks

ah, ok.since these arent birds of prey, do i still have to call them?

Copper, it`s just in some areas(Eg,altus OK.) that they are overpopulated. I guess I was out of line, I`m just still realy mad and frustrated about loseing so many of my birds (chickens) to predators like owls I hate birds of prey for this reason alone. I know it`s not there fault they can`t tell it`s my bird and not a wild grouse or someting but it still pos me.

Sorry,
Noah.

Btw. if it`s a black bird I`m all for hatching it out! I love black birds they are beutiful(in their own way) and most of them will leave you birds alone(except for newborn chicks) Unfortuneatley they sometimes(from what I hear) attack your plants,I havent had a problem with that though although my chicken will make a quick snack from any plant they can get there beaks on.

yes, but think of all the feild mice they kill and eat for the farmers in oklahoma.
smile.gif

There are a few solutions to keeping owls away. One is to put chicken wirer around your chickens
tounge.gif
, but i guess that wouldnt work for burrowing owls ;) Another thing to do is to become a falconer yourself. owls usually will not go near your yard if they see a hawk in your yard. Also, bright flashy things (like flashy ribbons) tied to tres around your yard might keep them away for a while. I knwo there are a few other things, i will go look

burrowing owl attacking a chicken? have you ever seen one? an average chicken is over twice as big as a burrowing owl. i saw a live one for the first and so far only time last spring. ofcourse it was the day i forgot to take my camera along. i kinda get where you are coming from pond boy, i have ducks. i havent lost one to a bird of prey yet but its prolly just a matter of time being as common as they are around here. not sure about reporting the eggs if they arent bird of prey but you might want to just to be safe.

Rattler

Uhm, yes I have seen a burrowing owl, and I have also seen one kill a chicken (not full grown of course, the chicken was about half size) FYI, chickens are relativly small for the first year. why is it so hard to believe an owl could kill one? Burrowing owls are about 10 inches tall. Thats nearly as big as a chicken

smile.gif

Im wayyyy too late to help, darn internet problems. NEVER LET A LITTLE KID ON YOUR COMPUTER UNSUPERVIZED BECAUSE THEY F-
i mean, mess them up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i highly suggest you get in touch with your fish and game department. keeping birds of prey without a licence is highly illegal

Um yes thats absolitly correct.

[[/QUOTE]Why wpuld you want to propagate a nuisince like a bird of prey? They are already overpopulated in some areas and they kill your birds! Imo its better to destroy the eggs before you get more of these pests!
mad.gif
mad.gif
They are certainly not pests and are protected by law. Most birds of pey prefer rodents over birds anyway. Chickend are the same shape and size as grouse or phesents, so its understandible they would confuse them. Overpopulated, most populations are declining due to developemntr of habitat
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

oh and there are goverment angencys that determine what are and are not pests. Just because they bother you doesnt make them pests.

Plus, many birds attak you if you go near their nest. Just look at mountain bluebirds. Water birds are far more dangerous. They have very very fast sharp beaks and like to aim for the eyes.

Hey Spec which incubator did you make?? The cardboard, plywood or the styrofoam cooler one?? We have one made out of plywood and plexiglass that uses two bulbs and a dimmer switch. Make sure you have something in the incubator that will add humidity or the humidity inside the incubator will get really low and dry out the eggs!!

-buckeye

Hey buckeye,

I used the cardboard one. works like a charm
biggrin.gif
I don't have tow orrya bout huimdity, since average humidity here on the coast is over 60% anyways
smile.gif

I agree with you Finch. I do not think that birds of prey are pest at all.

Spec, I use to have an incubator. It worked well for chickens but I could not get snapping turtles to hatch *although I only had one clutch to work on*. Then again using an incubator for chickens after awhile does not pay because the hens do a fine job incubating their own eggs.

Travis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ April 27 2004,12:58)]I agree with you Finch. I do not think that birds of prey are pest at all.

Spec, I use to have an incubator. It worked well for chickens but I could not get snapping turtles to hatch *although I only had one clutch to work on*. Then again using an incubator for chickens after awhile does not pay because the hens do a fine job incubating their own eggs.

Travis
Yes, but a chicken won't lay any more eggs untill the chick can feed itself, if you keep the eggs in there

Back