What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant losses

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, Spring is in the air. Plants are coming out of dormancy and starting to look good. However, I lost a large number of plants this Spring. It was my fault as I fell asleep one night and left a large number of Venus Flytraps and two mini bogs outside during a cold snap. The temps had been warm during the day and I had been placing the plants outside for higher light levels during the day. As with most of the things that happen unexpected, I failed to check the forcast and I also fell asleep and didn't wake till morning. Well, that mistake cost me, it fell below 22 degrees and my plants and bogs became nice frozen bricks.

Because of the early Spring weather conditions (actually, just before Spring) with all the warm and then cold temps, these plants simply did not make it. 20 large venus flytraps are no more. Today I removed 2 more Sarracenia that rot had set in. My mini bogs are down to about 1/2 the plant populations from Fall.

I had been so carefull over the winter not to let these plants freeze or get too cold. It took one night of freezing and then warm/cold temps to allow rot to set in. That was my mistake this year.

Anyway, the rest of my plants are doing well. I have plenty of replacements, although that will never replace the ones I had.

If anyone else wants to rant a bit about a plant loss, please join in. It hurts when this happens, but I guess it happens.

Thanks for listening.

I hear ya, Nick. I already did my ranting - the cobra lily that took a permanent swim down a streamlet and the VFT that became the prey for another predator.
sad.gif
mad.gif
Also, Byblis shriveled up and died. Hey, I have some things sending up flower stalks: D. spatulata, D. anglica, D. intermedia, and P. primuliflora
smile.gif

Hmmm. I think the only thing that didn't make it through this winter for me is a S. rubra ssp. rubra. It's not totally dead, but it doesn't look good right now. I'm not sure why it didn't make it; it was a huge grower for me last year. Otherwise, it's all good for me, but then, it's California, and we don't really freeze much.

Sorry to hear about your losses. Jeez, just one night of freezing is enough! Let us know if you lost anything rare, and maybe one of us can replace it!

Capslock

Nick, you are not alone.
I probably have only half the sarracenia I had last year. All the plants sent up beautiful spring shows. Then, in the fall, plants started dying like flies. I now think I had a combination of mealybugs and borytis
mad.gif
mad.gif
but I only dealt with the mealybugs. After dividing what was left, my only sarr with a good set of pitchers right now is my rubra rubra, which sent up healthy and beautiful pitchers (I needed that
biggrin.gif
)

Peter

Sorry to hear that nick:(

Hey rubrarubra how the pond plants doing? Did the vaigated water celery ever come back? Have the tdb waterlilys bloomed?

i'm feeling ya nick. i just brought my plants up from the basement last weekend, cleaned up all the dead leaves, and put them outside. i lost a few of my sarracenia to rot. i still have a few that i'm hoping will pull through, though.

man, ohio weather sucks sometimes.

tech...

I know how you feel. Between the squirrels last fall, flooding problem I've had this spring, and me forgetting to water some dormant plants because of some serious unexpected problems. I'm still trying to figure out how to care for plants in ohios winter. It's so much easier in NC. Maybe by the time I move back I'll have it figured out. You know your welcome to any of the plants I have left.

I am sorry to here that Nick. We to had a bad cold snap, but my bog is in ground. The plants are slow to show growth, but no rot and they are still green/red at the bases. If you can PM with a loss least I will do what I can. The only plants I lost out of it this winter were my red VFTs. I think it is odd that just plants of that species are gone, not dead, gone. I believe something may find them tasty.

Noah, one of the tdb water lilies survived the winter but hasn't bloomed yet. In that pond I'm having trouble with some oily stuff appearing on the surface of the water all the time. The celery didn't make it but the taro is doing great.

Peter

I am not worried about getting the plants replaced. I will be getting replacements soon and some have already been replaced.

I am now dealing with birds using my mini bogs for nesting material. Its driving me nuts.

Arg! I know how you feel. I think my favorite sars from last year may not make it. They're still green, but don't really look too good. I was so proud of myself getting everything through dormancy....then I took them out too soon because I have no patience. Well, I think it's gonna cost me. Oddly, the VFT's don't seem any the worse for ware, just the sars.
And something is digging up my pots. Not a lot, just a little, but they already tore out one of the VFT's. Hmmm....May be time to invest in a bb gun.
mad.gif

Haven't lost too much this year....actually nothing yet, but I'm having a problem with my S. minor "okee giant" It is browning all of the older pitcher and I think it may have something to do with a rhizhome problem...(I have rot and a worm thingy eating the rotten rhizhome earlier this year) but nothing yet.

I just love these temps we are having. It wasn't suppose to get below freezing last night, actually a few degrees above. Well, the forcast was wrong, it got 2 degrees below freezing and well, I lost my Sarracenia flower buds. I may have lost all the plants that were still outside (over 40). Err. Not my year. I knew I should have taken all those plants to the porch. Not going to trust those weather guys any more.

For those that have offered to send or help out with replacements. Thank you, however I will no be needing any. This will just be a way for me to make some room for seed germination.

On Friday I went out to cut off the flower that had frozen and fallen down on my Sarracenia purpruea. To my surprise, the flower had recovered from the freezing. When I first saw it, the stem was all soft and mushy. I really wish I had taken a photo of it during the freeze and thaw. If I get some sun, I will try to get a photo showing the flower and were the stem had been soft. Seeing that flower purk back up made me feel alot better.
smile.gif

Back