Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern bog trip with Jay Lechtman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ground doesn't look soggy wet and really sandy... hmmm.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stunning! Man, what I would give to see those fields of sars. Great photos. You really may the envy just ooze from skin!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very jealous! You two must have had a blast. Thanks for sharing the photos. That's very exciting about the St. Tammany alata.

A very good illustration of why the NASC project is so important...so other people 100 years from now will be able to see those same plants whether in the wild or in a safe collection.

Just wondering...in the pic with Jay...those plants to the left look a lot like D. filliformis but its hard to tell. Is it? Or just some similiar looking weedy thing?

Thanks Casper and Jay! Go again!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful picture and a tribute to the plants. Nice job guys. Casper, I look forward to the write up.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thats really cool. I especially like the last picture [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

PlantAKiss, In one of the posts, jlechtm said they were Drosera filliformis ssp tracyi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the ground in most of the sites visited wasn't soggy (or even peaty) at all. Most of these plants were growing in what could best be described as a silty clay, and barely damp. Only one site of the half-dozen or so we visited in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama looked to be comprised of peat, with lots of growing sphagnum.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The soil they grow in is different from bog to bog. As Jay can tell you, sometimes the ground is peaty, sometimes sandy silt, or even sandy clay. I have witnessed many different soil types, and the plants that grew there also did well in a greenhouse in peat moss. If they are growing in it, it must be acidic, and have all the qualities in it the plants love. They can be picky that way.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casper, One other thing. Don Schnell didn't say they were extict in St. Tammany, he said they had not been seen in the wild for some time. Thanks to you and Jay, they have been found again. Gotta log that in our books and on the website Carl Mazur made for us.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12