What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good moss, bad moss?

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Is there any sites which show good pictures of moss, the difference between non harmfull and harmfull moss to CP's?

I have what looks to be 3 different mosses growing in a pot of mine, so I'm wanting to be safe.
1 Looks to be LFS. Another kind looks like it grows tall and thin. The last kind is a dark green with several very thin leaves coming out of the base of it.

I have a few pictures here that might help.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/moss.html

The moss itself can get so thick and tall it will smother plants that can't keep up. Even sphagnum can be bad in this circumstance. The presence of nonsphagnum mosses also indicates available nutrients. Which might indicate that the conditions are not ideal for more tender Cps.

Tony

I agree with Tony: this is bad moss for most CP species and its presence indicates probable nutrient contamination issues.
Check out what has been written on the need to rinse your potting materials along with the use of microwave sterilization of the medium after rinsing.

You will notice that this sort of moss begins as a sort of green patina on the surface which then becomes furry and ends up as a pot of fine moss. When the green is first noticed, frequent light spraying can leach it out of the pot, but you must be dedicated in the protocol for this to work.

Even with the utmost attention to rinsing, the problem still arises in my collection. When it does, I transplant into clean media as soon as possible since what the moss doesn't smother the nutrients usually kill off. Plants very rarely thrive in such compromised conditions. USually some of the moss accompanies the transplant, so after a month I go at it with tweezers.

Good luck with your culture.

i agree that there are instances where moss is bad but sometimes it prolly makes very little difference with some of the hardier CP's. i have a U. livida that is compeating with moss and appears to be doing quite well. infact it has been flowering continueously for 3 months and doesnt appear to be stopping any time soon. i dont know what makes up the greater percentage of plant material in the 3.5 inch pot, the moss or the livida but its doing fine. i do pay close attention to how thick the moss is in with my pygmy sundews and try not to let it get to thick around the individual plants. just thought i would throw my 2 cents in.

Rattler

Back