What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog trip, day 2

Ok, so day 2. We got a late start because I had to do a few things at work, so no breakfast at Cafe' Du Monde. We fire up the pick-up and start heading east on I-10. We hadn't made it out of LA for 10 minutes when Jay is oh so casually saying "Wow, theres a big stand". So screach go the tires as I slam on the brakes and cut to the shoulder. That was pretty much what set off the day. We saw maybe half a dozen stands on the side of I-10. Including one HUGE stand that was on a federal wildlife reserve.

Bog_trip_105.jpg

Lotsa flowers

Without further delay, on to Citronelle. The Holy Grail (at least from what I have seen) of Sarrs.

Bog_trip_113.jpg

I love the color in this baby.

Bog_trip_138.jpg

Very nice hybrid

Bog_trip_126.jpg

Bog_trip_141.jpg

More pink flowers

Bog_trip_133.jpg

Simply spectacular

Bog_trip_136.jpg

Another cool hybrid

Sorry to all the folks on dial-up out there, but I can't help it. Your lucky I am not posting all 150 pics
smile.gif

Absolutely stunning pics!

Wonderful pictures. You are doing a great job of collecting these species for our viewing pleasure.

Beautiful photos! What a sight it must be to see all that in person.

Any ID on the first photo of flowers? Or are allthe plants unidentifiable hybrids?

You two are lucky to be able to go see such things.
smile.gif

Jay will prolly check in soon to correct me, but I am fairly sure that the pink flowers are pink flowered wheryi, which I understand is quite rare. The dark reds are normal wheryi. We also say some orange and yellow flowered wheryi in the same stand.

Casper

Most of the pics are from central Alabama. We saw some AMAZING stands and some very rare plants. Was a great trip.

Good going, Casper! Now, hook up with Brooks, and get an education on the Florida Panhandle bogs. You may just meet Jim Miller too, an old time bogger who can tell you a hybrids parentage almost at a glance. Very knowledgable man. You should be prepared to learn a ton of good stuff.

Blimey, amzing pictures, amazing plants... Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

Ok ... checking in (late ... darn work).

Casper's correct ... the first photo (with spider) is a pink-flowered form of S. rubra wherryi, a fairly rare flower color form. Now ... I believe that these floral variants are actually introgressant hybrids (which would make it S. rubra wherryi x S. alata (or vice versa) at least at some point back in its parentage. The scapes on these lighter color variants also tend to be a bit taller, on average, than their typical red counterparts (which lends more weight to my slapdash hypothesis). The pitchers, however, look indistinguishable (at least to my amateur eye) from standard S. rubra wherryi.

Casper's other photos (I believe) are a mix of two sites. The first (Citronelle) is principally composed of S. leucophylla and S. alata hybrids. (S. psittacina also inhabits the area, and at least one S. purpurea x S. alata hybrid has been found).

The second (Tibbee), is S. leucophylla, S. alata and S. rubra wherryi, with an astounding mix of hybrids between all three.

Let me guess, to the North of Citronelle vincinity?

Back