What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scientific topics vs. fun topics

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Have you ever noticed the TENDENCY for scientific topics to get 5-10 replies and for the fun topics to get 5-10 pages?

Case in point - "From member to moderator" , a la wolfpackgirl. Then there's "Meet me in the parking lot."
rock.gif

I guess because sometimes fun topics, are well fun
smile.gif
What I mean is they are less serious and give people a chance to relax
smile.gif

I'd say it has alot to do with the fun topics can just contenue like a long conversation between people. When the other kind gets an answer and the topic is over. That's all you wanted anyway right? ...a answer?
Andrew

This is true. Also alot of people are not familiar with taxonomy, botany, nomenclature enough to discuss aspects of it. They just grow and enjoy the plants without being concerned about technicalities of a particular species, group, family, etc.... You can talk till you are blue in the face about Dionea (?) but then say Venus Fly Trap suddenly 80% more people know what you are talking about.

Joe

yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

what exactly do you consider a fun topic, jim? how bout when i do handstands? is that not scientific?

i like the fun topics cause i'm a hyper wierdo freak, and you get to know at least a tiny bit about the other people on the forums.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ May 01 2004,4:46)]When the other kind gets an answer and the topic is over.  That's all you wanted anyway right?  ...a answer?
Not all serious topics get an answer though. For instance, I posted a question about the identity of one of my pings.P. 'Sethos'??, Just want to be sure what this is. As you can see there are two posts. Schloaty's and my reply to him. But no definite answer.

rock.gif

BCK

I usually go for the serious stuff, but I like to have fun too. Part of the difficulty in asking a technical question is that there are few who have the interest or experience to pursue it: it's not so much that it is a boring topic, just the sort of question that has an answer, provided someone has the experience (and nerve) to step forth with an opinion.

Less serious issues get the posts because everyone can jump in, and I think these are the topics where we all get to know each other on a more personal level.

And that's cool, too! We got some good Gestaldt (sp?) going on here! In the words of Maxwell Smart, "...and loving it!"

BCK, I think that particular example has to do with that is a difficult question. I'm not sure anyone really knows. There are many topics on TF that talks about 'Sethos' and 'Weser'... But, there is quite a bit of confusion on the topic. I think there is one post at least here that has like 3 pages of responces from a few big names....
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ May 03 2004,6:30)]BCK, I think that particular example has to do with that is a difficult question.   I'm not sure anyone really knows.
Thanks Andrew. You answered my question!
laugh.gif

I hadn't thought of it as a tough question because so many people grow P. "Sethos". I thought one of them would be able to tell me it is or it ain't. Now I see it is more along the lines of they grow something that they think might be P. "Sethos".

Back