What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God

Hi all

Just a quick question, Is God Real? With so many bad things going on who do you trust in or who do you rely on? I know we have family and friends, but I am talking about when you alone or sitting by your self and nothing seems to comfort. just a thought

Jim

I believe there is a higher being somewhere out there, who or what he is, I don't pretend to be smart enough to figure that out.

I do NOT believe in organized religions. They are, for the most part, ridiculous, hypocritical, greedy, murdering, and completely ill-logical.

I mean, lets take a step back and think about this for a minute. This all powerful God creates us. He then says that in order to get into heaven we must worship him (Why would an all powerful god be arrogant?). He then makes us rely on "faith" to believe in him. On top of that, he makes us smart enough to consider the inherent flaws in all of it.

90% of the people in the world that belong to an organized religion are members of that specific religion because of GEOGRAPHY. Depending on where you where born, or where your parents where born is what determines most peoples religion, thats a fact. That alone turns me away. Most people believe because they where taught to believe. "Faith" was taken out of the equation for all but the few.

I agree with Wolfpackgurl. Gee...I didn't think I'd EVER say that....
tounge.gif

Seriously, folks, this topic is fine if we can keep it civil. Remember that if you want your beliefs respected, you must respect those of others.

Carry on.

Hi,

I believe humanity is it until we discover other life forms in the Universe. We are all we have. We are what comforts us when we are alone. All morality, religions, achievement, dreams, laws, science, understanding comes from us. Our ability to think abstractly -- the quality that sets us apart from but not free from the rest of nature -- is the source of religion, God and science. Like all of nature, humanity is a wonderful and terrible thing all at the same time. The world will only change when the day comes when we see there is no higher intelligence or spirit in life. What we can dream and create is it. This life is all we have. So we need to make every moment count and we need to follow a simple ideal: "We may not be perfectable but we must always act as if we are." America is founded on that simple thought. America is an ideal. It is not realism; it is not "that's just life"; it is not "well, life is unfair. America was founded on an ideal "Out of many ONE." The most un-American action and belief in my eyes is to dismiss idealism; it is all we have that defines us as "Americans." We have no tribe, no religion, no common history, no ancestral land, no nothing. We have an idealistic piece of paper called a Constitution and the idealistic dream of an enlightened and just world. We ARE its creator. Us. Here. Today. Now. John Lennon said it best: "Imagine." When we all arrive at that insight into reality; that leap past fear and anger, we will finally be Americans.

Bobby

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Just a quick question, Is God Real?

This really isn't a quick question. Since I know him well, I can confidently say that I know God is real. I have seen him work in and through me in radical ways. I'll try and give a basic idea of how it all works.

God always was, always is, and will always be. He existed before the universe came into being. He has infinite power, wisdom, love, knowledge, etc. God created this world, with us in it. Having created us, he can do anything he wants with us, and still be in the right. Having created us, he may set any rules for us to follow. We can do nothing for him, or against him. Anything we can do, he could do better himself.
Now, God created man perfect, with the choice to do right or wrong. Man sinned, and that separated us from God. We deserve to be burned in heII for our sins against the ruler of the universe. Yet because he loved us, he has given us a chance to be redeemed, to become sinless, to be able to live with him again. The world was made with so many of God's beatiful creations. When Jesus died on the cross he made it possible for us to talk personally with God. Yet even then, most people refuse to admit the possibility that there is existence outside of what can be scientifically proven.
Peter

Indians owned America first so they have a common religion and the ancestral land is theirs. Furthermore I really just wonder. okay it's hard to believe there is a God I'm a "sheep" as Casper tells me, but my thing is this okay if God was here first then who came before God and who came before that and so on. To me there has to be a first in which nothing came from. I mean which came first the chicken or the egg. I also just wonder if anything is truly as it seems. I mean you can say yes we are real and we are here on earth b/c of your senses but my thing is how do we know what we actually see is real and what we actually feel is real. I mean how is it all defined as pain and pleasure. I dunno to me we could be like the people in the Matrix. I guess everything is first based on belief that we are here and that everything we see is real. What's beyond the Universe what's beyond anything that we think. I am a Religious person b/c I do appreciate Religion and it's values. Yes the people who are leaders of Religions can be corrupt but what isn't?? I mean Religion is based on belief and that's all there is b/c there is no factual evidence. I don't see why everything in life has to be fact what's wrong w/ having a belief in something that you can't see and can't prove. If you feel better b/c you believe in God and that makes life easier then I don't see the harm in that. I mean so what if there's not an answer for everything does that mean that people shouldn't believe?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ May 06 2004,8:51)]I agree with Wolfpackgurl.  Gee...I didn't think I'd EVER say that....
tounge.gif

Seriously, folks, this topic is fine if we can keep it civil.  Remember that if you want your beliefs respected, you must respect those of others.  

Carry on.
Oh please!!! I hope you fall in the bathtub like I did!!

Faith isn't the only thing that is based on where you are in the world. I mean most people in America believe Democracy is right and Communism is wrong. Go to a place where Communism is dominant and see if the majority believe that Democracy is right. I guess I'll just leave it there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh please!!! I hope you fall in the bathtub like I did!!

LOL
laugh.gif

How about smashing the bologna out of my finger tips when reaching for the cat? Does that count?

I agree with Casper 100%

I've smashed my fingers in doors and windows b/4.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolfpackgurl @ May 06 2004,1:42)]I've smashed my fingers in doors and windows b/4.
Gee WPG, you should not be so mean to yourself!
rock.gif
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

That's why I'm a Buddhist. It's the only religion that makes sense to me and doesn't concentrate on making the person worship and pay money in church in order to go to heaven. Baisically if you live a honest good life then your set for heaven most of the time.
But to tell you the truth I'll never be 100% convinced that a higher being actually exsist unless I see them with my own eyes.

Peter,
Money cannot buy salvation!
smile.gif

The Apostle Paul said something wise when he urged people to follow him (his example) as he follows Christ. Unfortunately, when, not if, when Christians fail, there are bazillions of non-Christians waiting in the wings to humiliate and claim hypocrite. The focus should not be on humans. It should be on Jesus.

Eternity doesn't have to be fathomed. Who can imagine an always was? Perhaps an always will be, but human logic is limited. You (one) can't prove things that our human logic can't fully understand. All existentialism aside, sooner or later we have to accept, or have faith, if you will that we exist or having a conversation or that a chair will hold us up, etc... Faith / trust in God and Jesus dying for our sins is the way to go. A person who doesn't want to have faith will not be conviced by limited human proofs. Ya gotta want to.

Any of you guys seen the passion of the christ, I respect all viewpoints out there, but there is one thing about the jewish religion, How can Jesus be just "a good man" He was either a lying, cheating, blaspheming Idiot, or what he said he was, think of it like this, would a good man say he was the king of the jews, and gods son?
I personaly am a christian, and believe in Jesus

Hi again
WOW I didn't mean to start up anything, If i offended anyone i am sorry! I am a christian but I will not judge anyone and thier belief. I thanks God everyday for what I have and am learning that life is way to short to dwell on tings that make you sad. I have had it tought the last year and things are not right now, and sometimes I question my self. That is why I asked this Question.. I am just glad to have found a few people tthat like the plants I like and i appreciate all of you as People!!!
Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim,

I hope things get better soon.

Bobby

Back