What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book

I heard that THE SAVAGE GARDEN: CULTIVATING CARNIVOROUS PLANTS is the bible for CP growin.
Any other good ones out there that you recommend?
biggrin.gif

I think Insect Eating Plants is good. Cant remember the author.

Carnivorous Plants Of The World
Carnivorous Plants Of North America

The Savage Garden is one of the best guideline books ther is, although there are more specialized books out that are all about one certain topic
hope that helps,
Hellz

Carnivorous plants of the US and Canada by Donald Schnell is much better than the Savage Garden, but is geared strictly for the North American area. Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them By Adrian Slack is a very nice book chock full of CP from around the World, as is Mr. Slack's Carnivorous Plants. 2 of the above mentioned were before D'Amato, and much better books informationwise. Peter's book is too general for those of us who have been growing for more than 10-15 years, but is good nonetheless.

Personally, I don't like the cultivation advice in the savage garden. It only works if your in a mediterainian climent. Getting more books and a vireity of sorces is better. Schnells book says a lot about natural habitat and lets you make your own choices about growing from their
smile.gif

Moving to General Discussions..

If your into Nepenthes then
Nepenthes of Borneo
and
Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia
by Charles Clarke are must haves!

He has a couple field guides too which are very nice but only a include a fraction of the information the books contain.
Tony

Take The Savage Garden with a grain of salt. It contains some good information but its not the final word in growing CPs. Remember that you don't have to grow your plant strictly according to what's written in any book because growing conditions vary for everyone. So...its ok to start out trying the methods outlined in books but don't be afraid to experiment, adjust and tailor your methods to what works for your home environment. What works for one person may not work at all for another. There are a lot of growers here who "break the rules" and have phenomenal plants.
smile.gif

All the books mentioned are a rich source of information but never feel like you MUST grow a plant strictly "by the book."
smile.gif

Plantakiss hit it straight on, IMHO. I think "Savage Garden" is as good as you are going to get as a begginer's book and every newbie should get it probably. The others mentioned are good too, but Peter's book is the only one in current circulation.
After that, you can only learn what works for by experimentation.

Regards,

Joe

Hi,

Some questions. Where can you order the Clarke Nep books? Why is the Stack book out of print? Could the ICPS fund and print a new edition? Are the rights available? Are there plans for a new edition anywhere? It would seem the time is right and it wouls sell like hotcakes.

Bobby

I would love to own Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them By Adrian Slack but can not find it anywhere.
rock.gif
Savage Garden is an awsome book!

I got my copy of Taylors from Balogh.. a company in IL.  They carry Clarke's books also. Here is a link to the page listing the Cp books (it's about 3/4 down the page)Balogh books  There is a link at the bottom to email them.  Only other places I can think of are overseas..So prices work out about the same in the end.
Tony

the REAL CP bibles are:

Study of the Carnivorous Plants
Carnivorous Plants of the World
And Clarkes books

Hi Tony,

Thanks. That is much easier than ordering them from overseas.

Bobby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ May 06 2004,10:30)]I would love to own Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them By Adrian Slack but can not find it anywhere.
rock.gif
Savage Garden is an awsome book!
Try going to Borders or Barnes & Noble. B & N printed out a list of CP books for me and brought in the ones I requested.

Wow lots of books, thanks guys, ill try to be looking at all of them.
smile.gif

WOW! THOSE BOOKS GAVE ME "STICKER SHOCK"!

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I picked up a paperback copy of Carnivorous Plants by Adrian Slack.
Published in 1988.

I got it for 50 cents at a thrift store
biggrin.gif

Is this a good book?

It has a lot of good pics by Jane Gate.

Cactusdoug

Back