What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Living rock

Hey guys,
today I was at a local nursery pickin' up some venus flytraps (which were gorgious), and I saw a box of "Lithops"
I had seen these before as "living rocks" but didn't know anything about them I asked the clerck for assistance, and she told me they were living rocks, like plants. They were cheap, so I picked up 1, Isn't that awesome?

cool! I've found the best way to grow lithops is on a windowsill.

Have to get one, sounds interesting...what do they look like?

A few pics.

Lithops1_web.jpg

Lithops3_web.jpg

Lithops4_web.jpg

Lithops_flower01_web.jpg

Lithops_flower2_web.jpg
smile.gif

beautiful pics, i have a million questions
What do you grow them in?
How many types are in there?
What soil do you use?
Where do you live, and what conditions are they in? (Light, shade, ect.)

THAT IS SOOOO COOL!!!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Beautiful, weird and exotic in the extreme!
wink.gif

the first looks like a fossil (that I've seen somewhere)
wink.gif

Where do all you people live? I keep reading about all these great plants that people find at Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart. I've checked all of those, and all I ever see are citrus, palm trees, and a bunch of annuals and shrubs.

Y'all ever heard of a search engine?? lol If you want to learn about lithops, do a search. There's tons of info on them. I have a few myself.

PFT sold lithops at one point but doesn't now. Maybe Phil could be coerced into getting some.

I have mine in a wide shallow planter with sand and rocks to blend in with the lithops.

to busy to do search...studying for exams!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Then what are you doing on heeeeere???!!  lol  
tounge.gif

I was thinking of offering some lithops on the auction....

For lithops care info...check my sig. ;)

It's the truth really.

lithops are succulents, they do have roots. The two "halves" are actually leaves, and as far as how they get energy they arelike other plants. Grow them in cactus mix, and keep the soil bone dry.

Very true. There is no actual "body" to the plant. It is two leaves and a tap root.

As far as cactus mix, I would toss an extra handful or two of sand into the mix, put it some place sunny and forget about it. Never water them if they're dormant or if the outside is fully smooth. Usually most successful growers tend to let them dry a tad too much and water them. With lithops it's always best to not water them if you are unsure whether or not to.

so basicly, it's the type of plant you put in a windowsill, and completely forget about

Hmm. These sound awesome. I think I'm gonna go pick some up!

They are really easy! People try to care toooo much. These are arid adaption at it's best. Some Mesembryanthemums are similar though some look nothing alike. Dry, dry, dry.

Joe

Back