What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with spam!

I hope that someone who's good with computers can help me...

I've recently been receiving email from myself, of all people. The sender shows my email address but the topic line either is blank (with nothing in the body) or is spam advertisements. On two seperate occasions, my antivirus software warned me that the previous few emails sent all had the same topic headings. What exactly is wrong with my computer? Is this a worm? What software is affected and how do I clean it?

I have installed right now:

McAfee Antivirus
Ad Aware
Spybot: Search & Destroy

This is a new computer and I have problems with it already!!! Grrrr....
mad.gif

Thanks

Charles

It is likely the spammers are spoofing your address.  Kinda like putting the wrong return address on a parcel.

or..

Your computer has been compromised and being used to relay spam. I'd update your virus/malware scanner to the latest version and scan again.

thats fairly common,
it doesent necessarily mean you have a worm or virus.
(although you might)
its just another tactic of the scum-of-the-earth spammers..
nothing unusual really.
by itself, it doesent automatically mean there is anything "wrong" with your computer, although it is possible for a worm to be causing this..
I would just update your antivirus software, and get the latest microsoft windows updates.
then run your virus software..that should find anything on your machine.

I had the sasser worm a few weeks ago, my antivirus kept popping up messages that it found it, but couldnt delete it!
so I had to get a specific removal tool..that killed it.

Scot

ROAR! I hate that: "Oh a nice e-mail from my brother... Enlarge my WHAT?!"
rock.gif
I especially love when name generators come up with the names of my old teachers. Sigh.

Back