What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red spider mites........

i have my cps placed outside and i noticed yesterday that a bunch of spider mites have hatched out from somewhere and they were all over my porch and running around on my cps... any way that they could hurt them???

spider mites will attack your CPs... I use a mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water (about a 40% alc to 60% water) and spray them down repeatedly...

Some of the plants will dry a little .. but the mites will bite the dust. If you want a little more guarantee, add some JOY liquid soap to the solution. Not a lot.. just a few drops.

Red spider mites running around your porch?? You sure it's red spider mites and not just a bunch of baby spiders?

Red spider mites are miniscule little critters that inhabit the undersides of the leaves and suck plant juices. You can barely see them with the nakid eye.

I have found a few drops of cinnamon oil in about 8 oz. water sprayed lightly on the plants also discourages the mites.

they are very small and red and move fast- so thats what a spider mite is am i not right? they only went to my one pitcher plant- didn't bother/crawl on any of the other dozen cps next to it?
rock.gif
it has some old/dead leaves so maybe that got there attention?? like i said they are everywhere outside. they won't bother my cacti or banana plant will they?? thanks i sprayed the cp alittle.

Did you find all out of these by experiment?
wink.gif

I have fought many battles with these little pests before, and I know how troublesome they can be...

You can visit these sites for more on tons of solution (some of which are quite intriguing!)
smile.gif
wink.gif

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3109.html
http://www.cannabisculture.com/magazine/cc09/growers/mitesbite/

I think there was one more (Tommy laundry's website or somthing like that, but I can find it...) That one has a *guaranteed* homemade solution for s.mites (+ other pests as well)
wink.gif

Happy spraying!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jason

If you can see them walking around all over your porch they are not red spider mites.

Move fast?? snails move faster.. They are so small it would take them days to go a few feet. You really need a 10x magnifying glass to see them clearly.

Sounds like you have a bunch of red colored baby spiders running around to me...

yeah i looked up pictures and they kinda look like a flea- kinda and like you said i wouldn't beable to see them so easily. they are bright red and look just like a spider. they move alot faster then a small ant does put it that way.. well then i shouldn't have to work about them then- maybe some kind of spider. other cos are staying inside till they go away, let the other pot outside cause i don't want the bugs inside my house. thanks guys

Maybe you can breed them and later keep them as pets...OR FEED THEM TO YOUR PLANTS! HOHOHO
tounge.gif

Seriously though, watching baby spiders spinning webs is a rewarding sight for the eye - nature at its best...
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ May 14 2004,8:27)]If you can see them walking around all over your porch they are not red spider mites.  

Move fast?? snails move faster.. They are so small it would take them days to go a few feet.  You really need a 10x magnifying glass to see them clearly.

Sounds like you have a bunch of red colored baby spiders running around to me...
Actually, a mite can move across my hand in about a minute... But yea, this sounds like a bunch of baby red spiders
biggrin.gif

hope thats all they are, plus they running around on the side of the house in the sun, so wouldn't they want to be underneath a leaf on a plant and not on the house or porch cement? < mites that is

Spinder mites are really very tine, you can barely see them, they are smaller than .

They are rarely seen other than on the plants, and even then the indicator is usually a tent like and very fine webbing over the top of the plants.

Take a moist q tip and swab the underside of your plants leaves. If there are dark little specs (hee hee) on it then you have a potential problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 14 2004,9:14)]Spinder mites are really very tine, you can barely see them, they are smaller than     .

They are rarely seen other than on the plants, and even then the indicator is usually a tent like and very fine webbing over the top of the plants.

Take a moist q tip and swab the underside of your plants leaves.  If there are dark little specs (hee hee) on it then you have a potential problem.
Thats the thing... I have lots of them spider web like things, only they're from spiders! I'm squishin them every day!
mad.gif

I also see these little red guys running around, but I have yet to see them on my plants. They sure look like mites because their legs are very tiny in comparison to their body length.

its late and dark out now i will have to see if they are still on my cacti and banana tomorrow afternoon.

Back