What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad news

My stepsister is in the hospital. She is a junior in highschool. She has a mass cluster of cells in her brain and she is going to be admitted in the hospital for treatment. If the treatment doesn't work then she will have to have brain surgery.  
sad.gif

sad.gif
 I'm very worried. We don't live together or anything. She lives w/ her mother's grandparts in MA and I live in MS. He's my stepdad's daughter. I found all this out today. I also finished my first year as a freshman in college and as I was moving I had a lot of boxes to carry and I'm not supposed to move a lot of heavy boxes or bend over for a long time. I did anyway and now my back is messed up. My doctor wants me to have a breast reduction, but I refuse to get it. If I don't I will continue to have back pains. Plus I have a pinched nerve in my back. I'm too scared to have a reduction b/c i am not sure it's gonna take away the problem. Bad times I hate it!!

Breast reduction?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, fingers typed that faster than I could stop them.
Yes, I know I'm a sexist pig...

Sorry to hear about your stepsister WPG.
As far as your back goes, I had a pinched nerve for a while to the point that I lost the sensation in my leg for a few months. I didn't have my breasts reduced and it went away anyway.
I'm not a doctor and I don't claim to know more than your doctor but I'd go for a second opinion, at the very least.

Cheers, Troy.

Awww, hard times indeed! All I can say in the face of misfortune is that old lame statement that everything happens for a reason, but I know that is of little enough comfort right now. At least you have friends to talk it out with though. I hope it all works out, and will include your sister in my devotions. Please keep us updated, and keep a positive outlook.

As for the back pains, I wish I could get my hands on you (in a therapeutic way, that is ;-): massage is a wonderful healing process, and I was taught by the best there is! (Hi Valerie! Note the word 'therapeutic'!!!) If you can find a good massuse, this might be a possible option to relieve your pain.
You might also inquire from chiropractors for some back strengthening exercises and try them before opting for more extreme modalities.

I don't blame you in the least for balking at the breast reduction proposal, that would scare the willies out of me too.

Ignore Fatboy's blatant sexist comments. Hugh Hefner is to blame for it all: he got to all of us, myself included, so please do try to stay just as you are! Back pain is a funny thing, it can go as quick as it comes, so there is always hope.

I'm sorry to hear about you + your stepsis. I heard someone say, when your back goes it goes forever. I doubt thats true, but I heard its d@mn irritating...choose at your will. Personally I say take what the doc recommends, but of course desisions are to be based on your self interest...good luck! Whatever desisions ye make, don't think it wrong and don't turn back...maybe you should consider alternatives like massages at regular intervals, back reflexology sessions etc. I've heard that it helps...(from my parents!)
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Breast reduction? hehehe
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Most people want to have it the other way...
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Wolfpack,

I am sorry to hear about your problems and the problems of your sister.

As far as breast reduction, yes it can help back pain and many other problems, but get a second opinion.  There are many things that need to figure in to the equation. I do have some knowledge on the subject and if you like you can communicate with me via email.  I will warn you that I am not against reductions.  My sister is in constant pain and yes, it is the thing that will help, but her husband rather her be in pain (and now at serious health risk) than reduce.

So sorry to hear about your sister.  I hope she returns to health quickly.  There are lots of good doctors & hospitals in MA.  
smile.gif

Tamlin, you are too kind (it's spelled 'masseuse,' though  
wink.gif
).  And I agree with you on the exercises.  I also recommend a chiropractor.  Also, as Copper said, there are many things going on.  Your body is trying to balance itself, you can help that, be conscious of your posture.  Think about your whole body when you move - from your ears to your toes.
(oh yeah, & getting massage is real good, too!
biggrin.gif
)

It is true that once your back goes, it will never be the same again. Backs are very sensitive of injury.
Sorry to hear such misfortune to you and family. I have no REAL advice for thre breast thing.

Joe

I refuse to get the reduction. I just can't go through it. I won't be happy if it happens. What sucks is that my stepsis is going to be hospitalized and she doesn't get out of school until the end of june. I don't know if they are going to wait until she's out of school and do it now.

there is an older gal that is a dear friend of mine who would absolutly love to have a breast reduction but her insurance wont pay for it they do however pay for her many back problems caused by her quite large breasts.....in the long run i figure it would be cheaper for the company to pay to give her a breast reduction but such is the way things are. she is a very kind woman and would probably tell you to go with your docs advise. im sorry to hear about your sis( i dont see the point in using step, i view it like i view my half brother they are either family or they aint. not step or half) i hope things turn out for you and your sis and please dont cast aside the idea of a breast reduction without SERIOUS concideration. good luck.

Rattler

I'm sorry to hear about your sister.  I'm sure that with a good doctor she'll be ok.

I know what you're going through with the back pain. I have always had a healthy strong back until about two months ago. I thought at the time I had just worked too hard that day. I was busting asphalt with a sledge hammer, and then picking up the big pieces. Over the next week my back got worse and worse until I could barley walk. Still when I move the wrong way I hurt it all over again. Since I have a very physical job, it has limited alot of the things I can do at work. There are some ways that I can't move anymore. Like Lavenderdawn said you have to be aware of your whole body, which is what I have to do now.
As far as the surgery, unless it's an emergency surgery get a second opinion. Don't let nobody but yourself make the decision. You know your body and it's you that has to live with it the rest of your life. Take your time and consider all the information. Then decide.  
If you would like a free second opinion, send me a pic and I'll tell you if you should go through with it or not.
tounge.gif

I'm really sorry to hear about your sister. However, I know a 78-year old lady who had brain surgery to remove a tumor and she is just fine. Still as annoying as ever.
smile.gif

I can sympathize about the back...I have back problems too and boy can it be PAINFUL. People who haven't experienced it just don't know. Its been twinging today as a matter of fact which can sometimes be a warning of an impending spasm. I hope not.

At least you don't spend your days saying Ooops! and falling over into things and having your brain spin like its on a merry-go-round. Today I nearly took down a table of plants I just bought. Nothing quite like having your body take off in unintended directions! Ugh.

Consider the breast reduction...not a pleasant idea but to be pain-free might be worth it.

Good luck ...things will get better and we'll all be pulling for your sister.
smile.gif

well i'm always spilling things and stuff. i'm very lazy but I just can't part with them. I just can't. My doctor said i will have back problems b/c of them. Right now I have two thermacare heating pads on. one for my neck and the other for my back. i've been given pain medication and have been knocked out!! Ozzy you are funny!!!

hey, i'll take some breast donations, girl. i need it.
biggrin.gif

seriously, though, sorry to hear about your sis. i wish the best for both of you.

Back